• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a confessed comic book thief be allowed to continue selling on Ebay?

71 posts in this topic

As some may have picked up in the Silver Age forum, a part-time employee of Comic Book World in Kentucky was systematically stealing books from the store and ended up selling them on ebay and Heritage. The books were stored in a secure area in the back open solely to employees. CBW caught on when one of the pre-hero crew called up to see about a purchase. To date, CBW can document $20,000 worth of stolen books the guy sold. KorvacSaga and Mysterio were two of the folks who bought the books and returned them to CBW.

The ebay account they bought the books from blamed the sale of stolen goods on his being scammed. Unfortunately, he wasn't scammed, he was the thief.

Even now, the guy continues to sell on ebay even though the Florence police have a confession and he is awaiting trial for sentencing. It is likely that many of the collectible cards he sells are stolen from CBW. Who knows about the other items he has for sale.

This is the guy's ebay account:

gargux

My question to the community is, given all the efforts to get crooks like dupcack out of the industry, is it worth a concerted effort to get this felon sent off to his just rewards?

Tales To Astonish 11 Cgc Graded 9.0 Atlas Comic 1960 Comic Book Grade Kirby NM

These have only had one owner and come from a private collection. I am sorry but I can’t answer any particular answers about the comic’s story or whatnot as I am selling this for a friend. A relative of theirs passed away and they inherited these from them but they do not read or collect comic books and I have never personally read this comic myself.

hm

If he sent stolen property across state lines could not the Florence police

turn his case to federal law after his conviction for future charges?

Bad people realy screw it up for the rest of us !

:(

If he sent stolen property across state lines could not the Florence police

turn his case to federal law after his conviction for future charges?

Bad people realy screw it up for the rest of us !

:(

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for the fact that one of the Florence Police detectives has been a regular at the store for years, it would have been just another of 4,000 cases shared by 19 detectives.

Tales To Astonish 11 Cgc Graded 9.0 Atlas Comic 1960 Comic Book Grade Kirby NM

These have only had one owner and come from a private collection. I am sorry but I can’t answer any particular answers about the comic’s story or whatnot as I am selling this for a friend. A relative of theirs passed away and they inherited these from them but they do not read or collect comic books and I have never personally read this comic myself.

hm

The pity of that is that the books have a known provinience and it is an entertaining story. I've even met a part of the family who was selling them, and think it the story adds to their collectability. But telling the truth would have been as good as the confession he later gave.

is it worth a concerted effort to get this felon sent off to his just rewards?

I guess it depends on if he's selling anything I want, and what he's asking for it.

A delicious chocolate center of hobby truth, covered by a thin candy shell of sarcasm. :cloud9:

I think having KorvacSaga and Mysterio amend their feedback to note that he sold them stolen goods would be a good start.

Great idea, and done! Sadly the feedback I left is already on his 3rd page, so I doubt anyone will actually see it. It is ridiculous that he is still selling, but then if I had a nickel for every time I've seen obviously counterfeit, bogus, or bootleg items being sold on eBay I would have my house and every one of my neighbor's houses paid off. eBay doesn't give a rat's @ss as long as the fees keep rolling in.

I think having KorvacSaga and Mysterio amend their feedback to note that he sold them stolen goods would be a good start.

Great idea, and done! Sadly the feedback I left is already on his 3rd page, so I doubt anyone will actually see it. It is ridiculous that he is still selling, but then if I had a nickel for every time I've seen obviously counterfeit, bogus, or bootleg items being sold on eBay I would have my house and every one of my neighbor's houses paid off. eBay doesn't give a rat's @ss as long as the fees keep rolling in.

Thank you. I've been trying to find where to report what happened to the folks at ebay, but they are pretty difficult to get through to.

Perhaps if the Detective from the Florence police contacted them he might have some luck. Certainly there has to be some culpability for eBay as a venue for the disposal of stolen merchandise by a confessed thief. That might get their attention.

Perhaps if the Detective from the Florence police contacted them he might have some luck. Certainly there has to be some culpability for eBay as a venue for the disposal of stolen merchandise by a confessed thief. That might get their attention.

It would have to be proven that eBay was aware that the items were stolen, otherwise they were duped in the same fashion that the buyers were who unknowingly bought the stolen goods.

Couldn't amend the 1st item's feedback, but spelled it out plainly in the 2nd item's feedback. Would like to see this guy banned for all the trouble he's caused.

Can you not call Ebay? Or I mean have you tried that yet?

I think Skypinkblu gave me a number that I called them on onetime got a person etc

Definitely the guy should be kept from selling ANYTHING

and the "I got them and didn't know they were stolen routine" can't play out forever..

Even if that has been the song and dance up to this point ..NOW they should know better..

hey wasn't there already a thread about this?

I haven't been around for awhile but I could have sworn there was a thread with the sellers name in the title?

I know the Florence Police have contacted ebay. I took the time to track down the correct people on paypal to report the incident. KV and Mysterio, did you notify paypal that you were sold stolen goods through their service?

I've heard countless stories of employees stealing comics. I saw one store that had been drained of all their high dollar books within a couple of months. You look through a box one day and it's full of cool books. Look at it a month later and all the cool silver age is replaced by not so great bronze age stuff.

Can you not call Ebay? Or I mean have you tried that yet?

I think Skypinkblu gave me a number that I called them on onetime got a person etc

Definitely the guy should be kept from selling ANYTHING

and the "I got them and didn't know they were stolen routine" can't play out forever..

Even if that has been the song and dance up to this point ..NOW they should know better..

hey wasn't there already a thread about this?

I haven't been around for awhile but I could have sworn there was a thread with the sellers name in the title?

Even though they didn't know they were stolen at the time of sale, one would think that once they found out they would keep the seller from posting other items.