• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales from the Comic shop

205 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago I made my monthly Wednesday stop to my LCS. I was in a spendy mood and bought about 4 times what I normally do. There were a couple of books I thought about picking up but didn't.

The next day I start kicking myself for not picking up those two books so on Saturday I popped in to buy those books and a couple more. The owner sees me and shoots me a look like a just made a pass at his teenage daughter.

I guess I'm not tolerated in his store more than once a month. lol

He was mad that you spent money?

I have no idea.

His shop is understandably swamped on Wednesdays so I'm not surprised that he acts like the business is sucking the life out of him when I go in on new comic day.

But the rest of the week the shop is dead. There's been a few times when I've gone in on a day other than Wednesday and he's friendly and even willing to chitchat - even when I don't walk out of the store with anything.

The other day I was at my LCS browsing the floppies and looking through back issues. I bought my pile to the counter and asked if they had any Nowhere men no1, It seemed unlikely as I was late in picking it up and the book was heating up online. The clerk looked around for a while and said no sorry but that they had more coming in. Then the cute girl behind the counter said "here you can have mine, I haven't read it yet but that doesn't matter". She went to her box of comics pulled it out and handed it to me. Just goes to show not all stores are looking to cash in on hot titles.

In the summer of 2003, I was a college student working as a counselor for a summer camp. This was an eleven week long summer working with first graders all the way thorough middle school, with the only time off was from late Saturday morning to early Sunday morning. So one Saturday afternoon, the only time in the week to venture out of the bubble, I arrived at my LCS in Mount Washington, Ohio, Captain Comic, tired yet anxious for some new books, also broke.

A little saga called HUSH was going on in the Batman books, and there were a few fans collecting these issues! I was behind but found a handful of books I needed for a few dollars more than the cover price. In my excitement mixed with lack of sleep I forgot to add the price in my head and count my money. When the owner rang the total, I was like four or five bucks short. I counted out loud what I had and the owner gave me the books for what I had. These were hot titles that stores couldn't keep in stock, I was floored. The owner knew and took care of his customers. I'm in a different state now and I still miss that store.