• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales from the Comic shop

205 posts in this topic

Oh man, I have so many funny stories. Here is a short one to start things off...

I had just opened my store in late 1994 and I didn't have a lot of customers. One day getting toward close there was no one in the store, so I was staring out the front window. About a block and half away, on the opposite side of the street, I noticed a guy running at full speed down the sidewalk. Arms pumping, head down, like he was being chased by a bear.

As he gets closer, he swerves out into the street and starts winding his way through the bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, still moving at close to top speed. I realize he is coming straight for my door!

I move back behind my counter and he bursts in the door . He slams $15 down on the counter and says "I need 100 bags and boards!".

At the time, $15 was exactly what I charged for 100 bags and boards so I hand him a pack of each, he scoops them up and charges back out the door like the Flash.

I didn't recognize the guy and as far as I know he never came in again. I had only been open a couple months, so how he knew exactly what I charged for bags and boards I'll never know...

I call this my 'Bagging and Boarding Emergency' story.

That is hilarious

I might try to to do this one day.

Somehow I am picturing this is as a gang initiation, but it would have to be a law-abiding, comic-collecting gang. Those things must exist, right?

Oh man, I have so many funny stories. Here is a short one to start things off...

I had just opened my store in late 1994 and I didn't have a lot of customers. One day getting toward close there was no one in the store, so I was staring out the front window. About a block and half away, on the opposite side of the street, I noticed a guy running at full speed down the sidewalk. Arms pumping, head down, like he was being chased by a bear.

As he gets closer, he swerves out into the street and starts winding his way through the bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, still moving at close to top speed. I realize he is coming straight for my door!

I move back behind my counter and he bursts in the door . He slams $15 down on the counter and says "I need 100 bags and boards!".

At the time, $15 was exactly what I charged for 100 bags and boards so I hand him a pack of each, he scoops them up and charges back out the door like the Flash.

I didn't recognize the guy and as far as I know he never came in again. I had only been open a couple months, so how he knew exactly what I charged for bags and boards I'll never know...

I call this my 'Bagging and Boarding Emergency' story.

That is hilarious

I might try to to do this one day.

Somehow I am picturing this is as a gang initiation, but it would have to be a law-abiding, comic-collecting gang. Those things must exist, right?

If not, then my jumping in beat down at Comic Carnival was all for naught.

Over 30 years ago, there was a time when I worked 3 jobs. I really didn't have to but I did. One of the jobs was working in a weekend comic shop at an indoor flea market in Jersey. The owner had his main store 20-30 minutes away and he thought he'd bring in some extra cash, which never really happened. It was always dead.

Anyway, one Sunday, it's quiet as usual and a 30-something year old guy comes in and starts quietly looking thru the back issues. After about twenty minutes, he asked if we buy comics. I said 'yes' and set up an appointment with him to stop at his home to take a look. All this bypassing my boss. Never told him about it. He didn't pay me squat and I had a long drive so I figured I'd take advantage of the opportunity.

After a couple of cancelations from the seller, I stopped over at his place, a newly built, modest home. He took me into the garage and on the cement floor were stacks of Marvels and DCs, mostly Marvels. Keep in mind, this is around 1980. I offered him $225. He wanted $500. We eventually settled on $400. In the collection was Amazing Spidey #1-60 (missing a #3 and a couple others), FF #4-66 (missing a few), near complete Avengers #1-55 (including #1 & 4) and pretty much all other Marvel titles from the 60s. There were some smaller DC groups. Early JLA, Showcase, Brave & Bold, Hawkman, Batman/Detective, etc. Grades averaged 6.0-7.0.

I still have most of those books today. Many have been CGC'd. Never did tell my boss. His store closed 20 years ago. Oh, well....

We bought a collection of Transformers toys from a guy. There was a big box of them. At the bottom of the box was this...

TransCondoms.jpg

Over 30 years ago, there was a time when I worked 3 jobs. I really didn't have to but I did. One of the jobs was working in a weekend comic shop at an indoor flea market in Jersey. The owner had his main store 20-30 minutes away and he thought he'd bring in some extra cash, which never really happened. It was always dead.

Anyway, one Sunday, it's quiet as usual and a 30-something year old guy comes in and starts quietly looking thru the back issues. After about twenty minutes, he asked if we buy comics. I said 'yes' and set up an appointment with him to stop at his home to take a look. All this bypassing my boss. Never told him about it. He didn't pay me squat and I had a long drive so I figured I'd take advantage of the opportunity.

After a couple of cancelations from the seller, I stopped over at his place, a newly built, modest home. He took me into the garage and on the cement floor were stacks of Marvels and DCs, mostly Marvels. Keep in mind, this is around 1980. I offered him $225. He wanted $500. We eventually settled on $400. In the collection was Amazing Spidey #1-60 (missing a #3 and a couple others), FF #4-66 (missing a few), near complete Avengers #1-55 (including #1 & 4) and pretty much all other Marvel titles from the 60s. There were some smaller DC groups. Early JLA, Showcase, Brave & Bold, Hawkman, Batman/Detective, etc. Grades averaged 6.0-7.0.

I still have most of those books today. Many have been CGC'd. Never did tell my boss. His store closed 20 years ago. Oh, well....

I go hunting at antique stores all the time looking for finds like this. Ill never have my day :(

We bought a collection of Transformers toys from a guy. There was a big box of them. At the bottom of the box was this...

TransCondoms.jpg

Whoever believes the stereotype that comic book and toy collectors can't score with the opposite sex obviously never met that guy. :roflmao:

Once a younger guy in his 20's or so walked into the store with a cardboard box of comics.

I had just sold 2 nice AS 300's and right on top of this box were 2 really nice looking ones.

He asks if the comic book guy is in *sighs*. I told him I was the comic book GIRL and would be happy to take a look. He plops down this shoddy, cardboard, busted out liquor box and I start to flip through them and they ENDED at 300 and went back..double copies or better to #4. So I am trying to contain my excitement and he asks if I want to see the other box and he brings out webs and sensational etc all straight runs and all double copies.

So of course I ask "How much you want for these?" He says "I need like maybe $200?"

I check the til and my pocket and I did not have much. I told him if he could wait until I had a little business or a chance to go to the bank DEAL..

But after he left I sort of got worried because the books were too nice and too cheap. If someone took the care to get doubles and keep them nicely (with the exception ofthe box) I figured they would have a better idea of the value.

So I called every store in a hundred mile or so radius to check him to make sure A) the stores had not had a robbery or hadn't heard about a recent theft B) that the guy was not an employee of any of the stores. Then I checked with the local police department to be sure there were no reports of a stolen collection.

I couldn't find any problems so I bought them..even though all total I could only come up with $190 he came back another day and I gave him the other $10.

I still couldn't believe it. I had months before purchased a collection of key books including an AF#15 and ASM #1 so it was pretty sweet for a brief period of time to own nearly all 1-300!

I'm surprised you let that guy slide? Just about the same thing happened to me. I was at my LCS and a guy walks in with a box of books. Some decent Dells and Gold Keys. The owner wasnt interested and asked if I wanted to look at them.

I know this owner very well and have been in the store dozens of times when someone walks in with books. I just quietly sit a gaming table till he's done looking. If he doesn't want them, then he asks me and I get up and take a look. It's just courtesy.

Anyway I was looking at these Dells and asking this guy what he wanted for them. Another customer is eavsdropping, walks over and started humping against me, just like at a con when your looking through a long box. He asks the guy what he wanted for them.

I looked at him and said " do you see me standing here, when I'm done I''ll let you fricking know". I just gave me this stupid look and walked out the door. Now if it had been a women rubbing on me, no problem. lol

I HATE that! The only thing worse is a reverse sort of deal. I had recently acquired a fantastic lot of toys. I knew a dealer who had one of the items I had 12 of and he kept it in a glass case by the register and had it labeled "Rare unpainted variant NOT for sale extremely hard to find" He had some Sandman stuff I wanted. So I go to the shop with one of the figures and say "Hey is that figure really that rare?" He tells me it is impossible to get some sort of thing like a freighter carrying them from China sank and etc etc cannot get them and sorry not for sale. So I ask him how much he figured it was worth and he said he would never sell but guessed it was around $400-600. Then I pull out my action figure and said "Well I came across this now I like it BUT I do so want those Sandman bookends and that Death watch..can we make a deal?

We are at the counter working out details. I had also brought in 2 other "rare variants" that I had cases of. I was planning on skating with goodies for about a $12 investment in action figures. He gives me an offer and while we are discussing it creepy sweatpants comic nerd comes up and says "Oh are you trading?" The owner said "Yeah this is awesome people are always asking to buy that one I can sell this one! Plus she is trading these other ones too!" sweaty pants says "Oh I don't see as that would be a good deal for $200 bookends and a $75 watch some lady at a palette sale just got an entire palette of those." The dealer was like "No these are the VARIANTS!"

sweaty pants says "Yeah the variants..they had an auction and some gal bought a palette and they are all the variants"

Then our deal went POOF

And I was so hoping to trade them all eventually for stuff I really wanted lol:pullhair:

If I looking through a box of comics at a store or con I purposefully block those crowders.

The year I wore the fairy wings with like a 6 foot wing span made it really easy..if a guy started to ..hump up to look over my shoulder etc I would just whack then upside the head with my wings(on accident of course a total accident)

I just hate people who crowd up on you at cons bleah. I am looking at this box so go away lol

But at one con..I was PO'd this dude was flipping through a long box. But he walked up to the both and proceeded to put a piece of paper on top of each box in front of the booth that said "I have not looked at these yet please do not touch"

really..makes me kinda want to take your books outta your backpack and stomp you!!

lol

Whoever believes the stereotype that comic book and toy collectors can't score with the opposite sex obviously never met that guy. :roflmao:

How do you know it was the opposite sex? (shrug)hm

But at one con..I was PO'd this dude was flipping through a long box. But he walked up to the both and proceeded to put a piece of paper on top of each box in front of the booth that said "I have not looked at these yet please do not touch"

really..makes me kinda want to take your books outta your backpack and stomp you!!

That dude should basically just write, "Attention nearest meathead: please punch me in the face." That's how I would read his little paper placeholder, anyway.

Ever see the episode of Jackazz where Dunn puts that little car in a condom and then inserts it in his bum? I am thinking that is what they were for except instead of a car, it was a transformer :o:sick:

Ever see the episode of Jackazz where Dunn puts that little car in a condom and then inserts it in his bum? I am thinking that is what they were for except instead of a car, it was a transformer :o:sick:

Fortress Maximus? :eek:

In the early 00s a couple of my employees and I had a band. We usually practiced after hours at one of our locations where the other tenants were also closed so we wouldn't bother anyone. We played obnoxiously loud (kinda like my posts) punk . Well one week we had to move practice to the Westheimer location. Our next door neighbor is a Chinese restaurant and the relationship has been pretty icy. Normally we would have waited until they closed to crank it up...but we didn't. They didn't seem to have any customers and it was close to closing. About two minutes after we started the little old Chinese guy who owns the restaurant was banging on the door. But due to the noise we missed it. So he leaves, comes back, and chunks a head of lettuce which explodes all over the front door. We saw that.

From the dumpling place? I suppose it's better than the guys from the tattoo shop wanting to have word with you.

Great stories. This thread should be stickied.

+1

This is the type of stuff that should be discussed on shows like Comic Book Men

Exactly! I'd love to see a show about this sort of thing. Especially the cockroaches. :)

I studied Entomology for a couple of years, so they don't really bother me, but that doesn't mean I want them in my apartment. These huge roaches live outside, so I always see them running around on the ground, and my dog chases them. Anyway, one night, I hear something rattling in my fireplace (a fireplace in TX?). As I look over, one of these beasts (they're a good couple of inches long) flies out, goes straight up in the air, and drops on the couch right next to me. I grab it, say "Oh, heck NO!", open the door, and throw it as far as I can.

Not a comic shop story. . . I usually get a few chuckles from c-mack every time I go in there.

My childhood shops were all Moondog's stores. I've been buying comics from Gary for about 25 years or so. Just search his posts, he's got a bunch of great tales, and a great guy to buy from.

(thumbs u