• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hype . Walking dead 1 , IM 55 vs ASM 5 and FF 5

58 posts in this topic

WD 1 is a freak and nobody knows how it will end (or not). It's unfair to compare it to any book to ever exist. Those who don't own a copy continue to hate. The fact it was under everyone's radar for years is a hard pill for many to swallow.

If I owned a copy I'd drop it like a hot potato!

Don't know where it will end but if it was possible to short comic books, I'd be investing heavily in the prospect of a WD crash. Just reminds me of Valiant-mania.

http://memegenerator.net/instance/28452443

Who's hating? I read the comics (I get the hardbacks as they come out), and I watch the series. Both are 'page turners'. Good stuff.

I also think that whilst it's impossible to predict with certainty, my bet would be that they will crash within the next few years.

Not hating. Just an educated opinion on the unsustainability of the price bubble.

WD 1 is a freak and nobody knows how it will end (or not). It's unfair to compare it to any book to ever exist. Those who don't own a copy continue to hate.

I never wanted to own a copy, the whole title makes me nervous from a collector standpoint. I owned a shop in the 90s. I sold 10x book value for titles that are a fraction of that cost now. I've been down that road.

Yes, TWD is a cottage industry. It's spawned so much zombie retail garbage it makes products made for The Simpsons look rare in comparison.

Yes, TWD is a much-loved TV show and I'd wager it'll go out to at least the 5th season, which means at least two more years of high values for comics.

Yes, TWD is a great read (I read to issue #100) and it's a wonderful, character-driven story.

But - nothing lasts forever. TWD is like every other company, commodity or brand identity. Consumers are fickle. People cash out and move on. Creators, producers, writers, artists move on to other opportunities. Mistakes creep in, the product wanes - and eventually, people move on to something else. It's the cycle of consumerism.

If insanely popular things lasted forever, your kids would be playing with Rubik's cubes and playing Mortal Kombat at video arcades.

Ok I have wanted to do a lil' look at what $1,000 gets you on the hype bad guy books lately as I have been kinda cranky about the insanity of afew books. (see wd ...)

So here we go ..

WD 1:

90 day average of a 9.6 is $1,000 ... 355 graded at a 9.6 . 455 better .810 total

IM 55 Thanos book ...

$1,000 gets you a 9.4 .....101 graded... 100 better ..200 total ...not bad .

ASM 5 Doom app

$1,000 buys you a 7.5 ..72 graded...145 better ...217 total....

FF 5 first doom

$1,000 gets you a 5.0

74 graded ... 260 better .... 334 total ..

amazing 14 first goblin

7.5 for 1k

135 graded ...403 better ....538 total ...

Hulk 181 wolvie (my fav lol)

1k gets you an 8.5 ..

487 graded .. 1500 better ... 1987 total

now I am sure you have other examples of the above on "superhero" / badguy books but isnt it just common scence to buy a FF 5 ,asm 14 vs a Walking dead 1 from 2003 ? I would guess there are far less asm / FF silver age heading to CGC than WD 1's ?

Even the IM 55 looks to be a better deal even though it was almost free afew years ago...

Anyways just venting and taking a look..

Thoughts ?

I agree.

I see good value in the hulk 180 9.4-9.8 range. Given it is the true 1st apperance and 9.6's can be had for around 1000 or less.

meh I don't see much upward value in that book at all. It's a cameo. Sure, it's the first drawing of Wolverine in a comic book, but cameo's are never valued as much as a true first "full" appearance. Hulk 181 is where it's at and will always be where it's at. #180 looks like it's actually gone DOWN in value over the past few years.

I've been meaning to ask - is that Vincent Price sketch/drawing in your sig something you did? It's an artistic style with an uncanny resemblance to Stuart Sayger's work.

Yep, that's mine. I've got a few more here, but it's missing some of my newer pieces. I like Stuart Sayger's work because it has that random, chaotic ink style. When I first undertook that method, I actually was inspired by Jae Lee's work on Namor.

I've been meaning to ask - is that Vincent Price sketch/drawing in your sig something you did? It's an artistic style with an uncanny resemblance to Stuart Sayger's work.

Yep, that's mine. I've got a few more here, but it's missing some of my newer pieces. I like Stuart Sayger's work because it has that random, chaotic ink style. When I first undertook that method, I actually was inspired by Jae Lee's work on Namor.

Nice! I have a few of Sayger's art pieces. A Hulk and Supes/Batman. Historically, I've had a pretty staunch appreciation for realism. Sayger's work was the first to really make me appreciate a different style.

Nice! I have a few of Sayger's art pieces. A Hulk and Supes/Batman.

I've been watching a few of his pieces go by - I'd love to have an X-23 from him. His work is much more fitting to the violent characters of comics.

Gobbledygook is hardly a cameo, but it's pinned as the first app and reflected in price and demand

The price of that book is mainly driven by it's extreme scarcity. If there were only a few copies of Hulk #180, then yes, I would expect the price to reflect that.

And to me, that's like saying Starslayer #1 is the first appearance of the Rocketeer because there is a 1-page advert for the new Rocketeer book in it...or that New Adventure Comics #26 is actually the first appearance of Superman because it has an advert for Action 1 in it. (shrug)

180 is a bunk book. It is never going to be popular; it is never going to be a key and it is never going to be considered a first appearance. And wishing won't make it so.

I like to hear that. I keep telling myself that I don't need to upgrade to a nicer copy of my 180 because it's really not a big deal book.

Gobbledygook is hardly a cameo, but it's pinned as the first app and reflected in price and demand

with all due respect, that's a not a good book to use an example, there's a couple things going on with gook:

1. Its desirable for reasons other than the cameo. Its a super little book, ultra ultra rare, Eastman/Laird, fugitoid, etc.

2. It was incorrectly identified as the first full turtles in overstreet for many years.

Bottom line, when a book has a print run of 50, you really can't draw any general conclusions or comparisons from it.

And wishing won't make it so.

Oh, and the proper phrase is:

Wishing for a thing does not make it so.

Take that, nerd.

Don't correct me. It sickens me.

Rage...taking over...

WD 1 is a freak and nobody knows how it will end (or not). It's unfair to compare it to any book to ever exist. Those who don't own a copy continue to hate.

I never wanted to own a copy, the whole title makes me nervous from a collector standpoint. I owned a shop in the 90s. I sold 10x book value for titles that are a fraction of that cost now. I've been down that road.

If insanely popular things lasted forever, your kids would be playing with Rubik's cubes and playing Mortal Kombat at video arcades.

well, I can understand the nerves. I'm not sure which side of it I am on, but WD does have some actual legit scarcity and actual legit demand, that much is clear. It could be a tmnt 1 type book, perhaps, going forward.

As for insanely popular things... well sure, they don't stay insanely popular but if a smaller group of people continue to care about them the values will stay high or go up. I don't know jack about rubik's cubes but a quick ebay search shows some completed vintage/mint ones for a couple hun each and a graded one ;) listed for 500, and old video games like mortal kombat can be worth money if the condition is there.

So..... sure WD won't be as hot forever but it doesn't necessarily mean that prices will out. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but its not so hard to imagine a dedicated group of fans keeping the price up

well, I can understand the nerves. I'm not sure which side of it I am on, but WD does have some actual legit scarcity and actual legit demand, that much is clear. It could be a tmnt 1 type book, perhaps, going forward.

As for insanely popular things... well sure, they don't stay insanely popular but if a smaller group of people continue to care about them the values will stay high or go up. I don't know jack about rubik's cubes but a quick ebay search shows some completed vintage/mint ones for a couple hun each and a graded one ;) listed for 500, and old video games like mortal kombat can be worth money if the condition is there.

So..... sure WD won't be as hot forever but it doesn't necessarily mean that prices will out. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but its not so hard to imagine a dedicated group of fans keeping the price up

On TMNT 1 there are only 356 graded books

and only 30 9.6 and 9.8 ..wow ..

That book seems to make scence to me ?