• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

El Cazador/Crossgen????

15 posts in this topic

El Cazador was the only Crossgen book that I have read, and it was one of my favorite titles while it was out. Now that Crossgen is going / has gone under, is there any possibility that their titles will be picked up by one of the Big 2 or Dark Horse, Image, IDW?

Does anyone know if this is possible? Would the rights have to be purchased, or were Crossgen titles "creator owned"?

I'd really like to see this title back on the racks. The art was superb, and the writing always above average. It was such a nice departure from anything else that was on the racks.

My understanding was CG owned all rights to the characters.

Early in their money troubles both Marvel and DC showed interest in buying them but bailed once they saw how badly their financial situation was.

I wouldn't be surprised if the titles/characters are put on the auction block as part of any liquidation but they're still far from that stage.

Jim

My understanding was CG owned all rights to the characters.

Early in their money troubles both Marvel and DC showed interest in buying them but bailed once they saw how badly their financial situation was.

I wouldn't be surprised if the titles/characters are put on the auction block as part of any liquidation but they're still far from that stage.

Jim

Crossgen filled for Chapter 11 recently but their landlord wants to evict them since he needs the property for others.

Alessi currently is the biggest creditor to crossgen and will probaly get first crack at characters

Yeah but Chapter 11 isn't Chapter 7 Bankruptcy so the company isn't at the liquidation phase....yet. They could emerge a viable company again but I'll admit, it's not looking good.

Jim

I've given the explanation before but I will give it again...

Last year, when they saw the writing on the wall, CrossGen split into about eighteen separate companies, and transferred all the IP to a company that owns the IP and only the IP. Alessi is the majority owner of that company and is still very much the owner of any of the IP that CrossGen ever owned (as opposed to just distributed).

Alessi knew over a year ago that the company was going to fold, and restructured it at that point to make sure that he would retain control over the intellectual property.

So in all likelihood, many of the CrossGen properties may be coming back... even if the company does not.

I've given the explanation before but I will give it again...

Last year, when they saw the writing on the wall, CrossGen split into about eighteen separate companies, and transferred all the IP to a company that owns the IP and only the IP. Alessi is the majority owner of that company and is still very much the owner of any of the IP that CrossGen ever owned (as opposed to just distributed).

Alessi knew over a year ago that the company was going to fold, and restructured it at that point to make sure that he would retain control over the intellectual property.

So in all likelihood, many of the CrossGen properties may be coming back... even if the company does not.

Thats what I read!

after it shuts down he can restart the company again.

It maybe harder and will probably pay more upfront with printers and distributors

Thats what I read!

It maybe harder and will probably pay more upfront with printers and distributors

Actually he probably wouldn't have to...

Different batch of investors, different payment terms. He'd probably get the same deals he did before if he brought a similar group to the table... confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats what I read!

Different batch of investors, different payment terms. He'd probably get the same deals he did before if he brought a similar group to the table... confused-smiley-013.gif

If you were diamond and saw Crossgen comming back with Alessi woudl you acccept his company back again undersame payemtn fees. I wouldn't.

smart business would be to make him pay a deposit

Thats what I read!

If you were diamond and saw Crossgen comming back with Alessi woudl you acccept his company back again undersame payemtn fees. I wouldn't.

smart business would be to make him pay a deposit

Business just doesn't work that way for the most part... confused-smiley-013.gif

If he brings a new package of investors and a new business plan to the table, it would be foolish to evaluate the deal based on how things went the last time around. If the number-crunchers say there is money to be made, Geppi won't even blink... confused-smiley-013.gif

It would be different if Alessi had did something illegal, but having a company fail is not a crime. And just because his last venture failed doesn't mean that you ignore potential profits from the next one.

El Cazador was the only Crossgen book that I have read, and it was one of my favorite titles while it was out. Now that Crossgen is going / has gone under, is there any possibility that their titles will be picked up by one of the Big 2 or Dark Horse, Image, IDW?

Does anyone know if this is possible? Would the rights have to be purchased, or were Crossgen titles "creator owned"?

I'd really like to see this title back on the racks. The art was superb, and the writing always above average. It was such a nice departure from anything else that was on the racks.

One of the main draws of this book was Steve Epting's art. He has moved on to Marvel (at least they have 1 decent artist). I'm not sure if he's exclusive to them or not but I doubt the book would do very well without him.

One of the main draws of this book was Steve Epting's art. He has moved on to Marvel (at least they have 1 decent artist). I'm not sure if he's exclusive to them or not but I doubt the book would do very well without him.

What's he working on at the big M?

Anybody know if he sells his own stuff? Does he have an agent/dealer? Links?

Yup, he sells it. The last thing I heard was that Steve might be going with Splash Page Art (link). I just checked the website and don't see anything. It usually takes several months for the publisher to get the work back to the artist. Then the aritst has to send it to his pimp.

What's he working on at the big M?

Right now he's doing all of the covers for the Avengers Disassembled story line (Avengers, Iron Man, Thor). I really hope they put him as the regualr on something quick. They sorely need it.

Anybody know if he sells his own stuff? Does he have an agent/dealer? Links?

Yup, he sells it. The last thing I heard was that Steve might be going with Splash Page Art (link). I just checked the website and don't see anything. It usually takes several months for the publisher to get the work back to the artist. Then the aritst has to send it to his pimp.

Cool. I've bought from Mark before. I'll have to drop him a line to verify this. Thanks.