• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about grading

25 posts in this topic

If you submit a book to CGC for grading, and you sell the book online, and the customer is not happy about the grade, who is responsible if they want to action against you? Sorry for the long question. Also there was a large scan and a no return policy.

If you submit a book to CGC for grading, and you sell the book online, and the customer is not happy about the grade, who is responsible if they want to action against you? Sorry for the long question. Also there was a large scan and a no return policy.

To my mind, no one is really "responsible" if the buyer disagrees with CGC's grade. Inherent in that transaction, especially with the "no return" policy, is the idea that CGC's grading is a known quantity. An opinion about the THIRD PARTY grading shouldn't reflect on the transaction.

Have them send the book back. When you get it, issue a refund - simple.

On a CGC book with a no return policy because the buyer disagrees with CGC's grading? That's a nightmare, pay for CGC's services and then assume responsibility for their perceived mistakes.

On a CGC book with a no return policy because the buyer disagrees with CGC's grading? That's a nightmare, pay for CGC's services and then assume responsibility for their perceived mistakes.

Yes. Repeat business is the only way to go. I give refunds for ANY reason. Good will goes a long way. My eBay rating is 699 with over 1400 positives (multiple sales to existing clients), and about 20% of my total sales are private.

Out of roughly 1800 sales in the last two years, I have had only one return. cool.gif

Yes. Repeat business is the only way to go. I give refunds for ANY reason. Good will goes a long way. My eBay rating is 699 with over 1400 positives (multiple sales to existing clients), and about 20% of my total sales are private.

Out of roughly 1800 sales in the last two years, I have had only one return. cool.gif

I understand all of that. Your selling C.V., while impressive, isn't really an issue. I myself, with a gazillion sales and a buttload of whatevers, accept returns on everything for any reason except for CGC graded books. Answering for Steve B. and the crew's opinions is not something I'm willing to do.

I understand all of that. Your selling C.V., while impressive, isn't really an issue. I myself, with a gazillion sales and a buttload of whatevers, accept returns on everything for any reason except for CGC graded books. Answering for Steve B. and the crew's opinions is not something I'm willing to do.

Rob - always the eloquent one. 27_laughing.gif I don't think it hurts to give a refund - it's only a sale. You can get your eBay and PayPal fees back. Chances are, the book is still worth more than what the unhappy buyer paid for it. flowerred.gif

What about books with slab damage where the slab damage isn't visible because of a small or cropped or fuzzy scan?

Hopefully if you were the seller, you should have disclosed that.

But who the heck reads descriptions anymore 893scratchchin-thumb.gif everyone only looks at the Number on the top left foreheadslap.gif

What about books with slab damage where the slab damage isn't visible because of a small or cropped or fuzzy scan?

That's a different story, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a book with slab damage in the first place.

That's a different story, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a book with slab damage in the first place.

What if it suffers slab damage in the mail when you mail it to me?

Oh, I don't know - I'm pretty comfortable about this one! 27_laughing.gifASM #121

It depends on the extent of damage, I guess. gossip.gif

Then it's your problem and if the damage affects the book then I hope for your sake you bought insurance.

Then it's your problem and if the damage affects the book then I hope for your sake you bought insurance.

Sorry to burst your bubble OG, but just try explaining "slab damage" to a Post Office official! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

Note to self: Don't bid on Old Guy's auctions.

Sorry, but mail damage (as opposed to mail loss) is the fault and responsibility of the seller, in my opinion. Neither I, nor the post office, is responsible for poor packaging that allows a book to be damaged in transit.

Sorry to burst your bubble OG, but just try explaining "slab damage" to a Post Office official! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

Like I said, not my problem if it happend in the mail. thumbsup2.gif

Rob - always the eloquent one. 27_laughing.gif I don't think it hurts to give a refund - it's only a sale. You can get your eBay and PayPal fees back. Chances are, the book is still worth more than what the unhappy buyer paid for it. flowerred.gif

thumbsup2.gif