• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about grading

25 posts in this topic

What about books with slab damage where the slab damage isn't visible because of a small or cropped or fuzzy scan?

That's a different story, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a book with slab damage in the first place.

What if it suffers slab damage in the mail when you mail it to me?

Then it's your problem and if the damage affects the book then I hope for your sake you bought insurance.

Note to self: Don't bid on Old Guy's auctions.

Sorry, but mail damage (as opposed to mail loss) is the fault and responsibility of the seller, in my opinion. Neither I, nor the post office, is responsible for poor packaging that allows a book to be damaged in transit.

You have obviously never purchased anything from me. If the contents of a package I send gets damaged then there's a tire track on the box. How is that my fault and how do you suggest I prevent it?

What about books with slab damage where the slab damage isn't visible because of a small or cropped or fuzzy scan?

That's a different story, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a book with slab damage in the first place.

What if it suffers slab damage in the mail when you mail it to me?

Then it's your problem and if the damage affects the book then I hope for your sake you bought insurance.

Note to self: Don't bid on Old Guy's auctions.

Sorry, but mail damage (as opposed to mail loss) is the fault and responsibility of the seller, in my opinion. Neither I, nor the post office, is responsible for poor packaging that allows a book to be damaged in transit.

You have obviously never purchased anything from me. If the contents of a package I send gets damaged then there's a tire track on the box. How is that my fault and how do you suggest I prevent it?

I was just kidding about not buying from you anyway. flowerred.gif There are very few people here who I wouldn't buy from. One of the great things about these boards is that we all share pet peeves about bad sellers and as a result, are educated about the right things to do to make sure packages are packed and shipped properly. I have yet to have a bad experience in purchasing an item from a seller who posts on these boards, except one inexpensive package that was lost in the mail (which was hardly the seller's fault).

I was just kidding about not buying from you anyway. flowerred.gif There are very few people here who I wouldn't buy from. One of the great things about these boards is that we all share pet peeves about bad sellers and as a result, are educated about the right things to do to make sure packages are packed and shipped properly. I have yet to have a bad experience in purchasing an item from a seller who posts on these boards, except one inexpensive package that was lost in the mail (which was hardly the seller's fault).

Just don't aks dethlok about buying from me. gossip.gif I sent his book to another one of my auction winners by mistake. foreheadslap.gif

I want to thank all the board members who answered this question, some of what you say is food for thought. The one issue i have here is when people start making accusations of tampering, when you know how the book has been handled and where it's been at. One other issue I have is if people don't believe the grade that's on the book then what good is CGC? I thought the whole purpose of the books doing well is having a reliable third party grading so people can buy in confidence. The person who bid on the book never asked for a larger scan, which i sent to a few people, and they bid on the item in the last few seconds of the auction. I mean seriously if you are going to pay a lot for a book wouldn't you talk to the seller before hand? Just some more thoughts on the issue, once again thanks for the feedback.