• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Yawn

25 posts in this topic

Wow! Pov... my least favorite covers are underwater. I'm almost to the point where I'm superstitious about them. Any theories?

I gotta say I have NO idea at this point. But they really do leave me flat.

Now There are a few "underwater" pre-code covers that are just TOO creepy and hence, desireable. Worlds Of Fear 9 is one. But they are just breaking the surface tension of the water by holding a person under (gyahh that sounds harsh).

But those deep sea things, etc? I must ponder.

Anatomically impossible females. Usually their chests are in zero-G, their backs are broken/deformed, their posteriors are enormous and shiny, and their faces nondescript with squinty eyes, barely any nose, and an open mouth. I'm told it's supposed to be sexy, but to me, it just looks like a medical oddity.

A friend of mine and I used to play "fall back, fall forward, fall off a cliff". Every panel we'd guess what would happen in real life. I have no idea why these impossible medical oddities were always near cliffs.

Once, at a con, she tried to recreate one of those drawings by striking the actual pose. She had a lot of help, as we all instructed her on how to twist herself into the position of the various body parts. Alas, she fell forward. Thank goodness we decided not to try this experiment near a cliff.

-- Joanna

Seeing as how this thread has made it ten posts without being hijacked, I just thought I would take a second and tell you all that I have finally figured out how I am going to finally, semi-humanely kill my fish that hate everything (especially each other).

I'm giving them names.

From here on out, they will be known as "Mrs. Garrett" and "Human Torch".

I expect their spiritual resignations on my desk by morning.

My mother is a physical therapist, and always clucks her head at how women are drawn because, as she puts it "their femurs are too long - all of those women would have hip replacements before they were 25".

There's nothing I like better than a great, pre-code underwater cover. tongue.gif I always wanted to be an adventuring marine biologist like Jacques Cousteau, so it reminds me of my idealistic vision of that lifestyle.

What I don't like are covers that have absolutely nothing to do with the interior story. Marvel seems to love those these days. The art on new Marvels are incredible, but if there's also an incredible interior story and the cover just shows the hero standing, crawling, flying, or swinging around as usual and doing nothing that relates to the story, how will I be reminded of the fabulous story when I browse through my comics and spot that issue?

There's nothing I like better than a great, pre-code cover with an anatomically impossible female. tongue.gif I always wanted to be an adventuring lingerie designer like, um, like, like all those adventuring lingerie designers out there, so it reminds me of my idealistic vision of that lifestyle.

I dunno, for my part I like underwater horror covers.

Perhaps the reason for this is the first Tales from the Crypt cover I ever laid eyes on was #40. Naturally this is now one of my favorite books.

Pre-code horror covers that I CAN'T stand would be those that are poorly drawn, mainly some of the Toby covers, particularly the "CENSORED! Ugliest man in the world" cover. Yeeeeggggghsshshh.