• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to tell value of The Shadow pulp magazines

17 posts in this topic

How do you go about finding the valuation of old magazines like The Shadow? My father-in-law's dad was a collector of everything and I'm selling a lot of the books on ebay (over time). I just listed a few of The Shadow magazines, and then I saw some listed for hundreds of dollars (with no bids).

How would you suggest I find a real value to expect without letting them go cheaply in case they really are worth $100 each?

Thanks

Hey toomuch.... hi.gif

Awhile back I started THIS THREAD ...you may find some useful info within..

As far as pricing...there are publications that can give you an idea of value but with pulps condition key...they are very difficult to find in high grade so those are the one that will garnish the most $$...

I collect the Sci-Fi type issues that are pre-1930 and would be interested if you have any available... thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. What are some names of price guides for pulps like The Shadow? I looked a lot of places, but I guess I am not putting in the right search terms in google, etc.

As far as Sci-Fi pulps from the 30's, I don't remember seeing any when we cleaned out the house, but he did have some sci-fi paperbacks. Unfortuneately most of them were left behind for sale at the local auction. It's going to take a year to get through all the boxes of books, so I'll keep an eye out for schi-fi pulps.

Thanks. What are some names of price guides for pulps like The Shadow? I looked a lot of places, but I guess I am not putting in the right search terms in google, etc.

Hello My Friend

PM or EMAIL me a list of titles, issues & volume numbers, year dates etc. and I have a large library of reference material to assist.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How do you go about finding the valuation of old magazines like The Shadow? My father-in-law's dad was a collector of everything and I'm selling a lot of the books on ebay (over time). I just listed a few of The Shadow magazines, and then I saw some listed for hundreds of dollars (with no bids).

How would you suggest I find a real value to expect without letting them go cheaply in case they really are worth $100 each?

Thanks

You need to get a copy of "Bookery Fantasy's Ultimate Guide to the Pulps" by Tim Cottrill. You can still order a copy from Bud Plant at www.budplant.com

It lists a comprehensive listing of pulps and is essential to pulp collecting & grading. Prices listed are for pulps in Very Good condition. Most of the pricing is right on the mark, about 90%. Well worth the $39.95 cover price. thumbsup2.gif What years are the Shadow you have (i.e. printed from 1943-1946?)

Thanks,

Big_Ram , I PM'd the list to you.

Fuelman, the PM function says you aren't accepting PMs.

Is it ok to post the list here?

Sure, I don't see why not. Post away! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The Shadow magazine October 1944

The Shadow magazine May 1946

The Shadow magazine March 1945

The Shadow magazine July 1945

The Shadow magazine July 1944

The Shadow magazine January 1944

The Shadow magazine December 1944

The Shadow magazine April 1944

Shadow Mystery magazine Dec-Jan 1948

(this last one from what I understand from the web is either one of the last ones published with a title change, or is a different magazine altogether, still about the Shadow)

123_2306_t.jpg123_2311_t.jpg123_2316_t.jpg123_2323_t.jpg123_2330_t.jpg123_2336_t.jpg123_2341_t.jpg123_2348_t.jpg123_2354_t.jpg

The Shadow magazine October 1944

The Shadow magazine May 1946

The Shadow magazine March 1945

The Shadow magazine July 1945

The Shadow magazine July 1944

The Shadow magazine January 1944

The Shadow magazine December 1944

The Shadow magazine April 1944

Shadow Mystery magazine Dec-Jan 1948

(this last one from what I understand from the web is either one of the last ones published with a title change, or is a different magazine altogether, still about the Shadow)

123_2306_t.jpg123_2311_t.jpg123_2316_t.jpg123_2323_t.jpg123_2330_t.jpg123_2336_t.jpg123_2341_t.jpg123_2348_t.jpg123_2354_t.jpg

I PM'd your mesage back but, just to leave information for others who may want to know, The Shadows you listed between 1944-1945 have a VG value of $20.00 to $25.00 each in VG condition. The "Money Books" are the earlier issues, which is very detailed, and the last four issues: Fall 1948 in VG $150.00, Winter 1949 VG $150.00, Spring 1949 VG $200.00 & the final issue Summer 1949 VG $250.00. Hope this helps thumbsup2.gif Fine condition would be 1.5% to 2X the VG Value. Very Fine (which is very uncommon!) would be 3X VG guide value. Sure hope this helps. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Checked out your Ebay listings & you do provide a lot more scans and information than most, so you'll probaly do well. thumbsup2.gif Well, it's getting late & I'm tired,...got to go walk the wife & kiss the dog,......

Hello My Friend

PM or EMAIL me a list of titles, issues & volume numbers, year dates etc. and I have a large library of reference material to assist.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good Night My Friend! cloud9.gif

One more question. Is Shadow Mystery magazine from Dec-Jan 1948 the same series as The Shadow magazines?

123_2341_t.jpg

It is still published by Street and Smith, but it doesn't seem to match the dates you listed (i.e. Dec-Jan 1948 rather than Fall 1948, Winter 1949, etc.). It also says "Shadow Mystery" rather than "The Shadow" on the front cover.

I actuall finally figured out that The Shadow magazine and Shadow Mystery magazine are the same series, at least per this web site:

http://www.philsp.com/data/data250.html

However, the Dec-Jan 1948 doesn't seem to be listed - maybe that is the Winter issue?

http://thepulp.net/ The Shadows are the same series, just a little name change.

Why the hell is my wife barking at me???? I am soooo tired,...Good Night,...MY FRIEND! 27_laughing.gifsleeping.gifcloud9.gif