• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Con etiquette questions (And specifically artist alley)

8 posts in this topic

Hey all, as you probably have noticed I'm a newb around here. Just got back into collecting comics for the first time in 6+ years. Prior to this, I was pretty content to just go into my LCS, grab the latest Marvel books, and leave it at that. Now, though, I'm trying to explore the other facets of this hobby, which has led to some pretty basic questions that I just have to ask. Sucks being the new guy, but what else can I do, right? :)

So I went to NYCC which was my first con, and it was all a bit... scary. I guess my main questions would be regarding sketches/signatures: If the creator is at their booth/table, is it considered generally kosher to ask for them to sign something or even for a quick sketch? I was a little uncomfortable/intimidated, as everyone seems pretty busy working on commissions and such. So I felt like, unless I'm just buying a print, I'm kinda wasting their time.

Any knowledge or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for being long winded, haha.

I've had artists pause from their sketching to do a quick sig, especially those who has a signing fee. If they're doing free sigs, try not to bring 20 for them to sign.

Always consider that there is a line or list. Unless you're the first to get to their table, most likely you'll be on a waiting list for sketches. Artists themselves know how many sketches they can do in a show. They'll tell you if their list is full. Some will offer post-show work to be finished either at the next show they're attending, or they can mail it to you.

Don't forget that these guys have feelings too.

A smile, please, and thank you will go a long way. It's very intimidating until you get used to doing at and learn the ropes. I'm still really new at it myself. What has surprised me is how cool the artists tend to be.

A smile, please, and thank you will go a long way. It's very intimidating until you get used to doing at and learn the ropes. I'm still really new at it myself. What has surprised me is how cool the artists tend to be.

This.

If they are at there table, there is no reason not to ask.

Most artists if they art not signing, put some sort of sign up.

The other thing to keep in mind, is sometimes the line-ups for artists are all for sketches. It can be handy to ask the people in line if you can get a quick autograph, if you only have 1 book, so you aren't waiting for half an hour.

They are there to meet YOU. Remember that.

The point of them being in artist alley is to meet fans and build their fan base. They want to talk to you and sign your stuff. You bought their comic so they will be happy to sign it for you.

As for the specifics, just speak up and ask. They all do different things. Some of them will sign autographs any time you ask. Others want to do it at certain times (but they usually walk away from the table during those times or post a sign to please wait while they finish sketches). So no sign means, go right ahead and ask. (thumbs u

As for sketches, most artists take a set number of sketch requests. Then ask you to come back at the end of the day, or the end of the con to pick them up. This way they can work on it sporadically during the day inbetween autographs and/or finish them in their hotels at night. The lesser known the artist, the more likely they still have openings later into the con. Others do them immediately when you ask.

+1 on the asking people in line if they are getting sketches if you only want an autograph. If the artist is doing the sketches immediately upon request, people will let you in front, and many artists make announcements to the line to let autographs move to the front inbetween sketch requests. HOWEVER, if you do that it better be for just a few books. No moving to the front with a large stack of books. (tsk)

If your significant other is "curvy" and in a revealing outfit (Think of any Grimm Fairy Tales cover)...I find this also goes a looooong way to getting in the artists good books.... Never hurts to have some eye candy on your shoulder

(thumbs u

If your significant other is "curvy" and in a revealing outfit (Think of any Grimm Fairy Tales cover)...I find this also goes a looooong way to getting in the artists good books.... Never hurts to have some eye candy on your shoulder

(thumbs u

Hmm ...guess my demographic will have to be female artists, then. That way, I'm the eye candy lol

Anyway, really helpful tips, all! These boards are such a great resource