• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is $35-$40 too much for a facilitator for 1 book?

109 posts in this topic

Read the post!

It says he was charged a fee for placing it on his account. He is asking if this should be the allowed. Has nothing to do with asking DWC anything. Everyone knows they charge fees to do this along with sig color choice, cracking a SS slab fee? (which can only be done in front of a witness????? so they get you on any yellow label) etc. There is no secret here. He is asking if it should be allowed to charge these fees for using your own account. We all know that CGC is not going to get involved and their stance has always been to use another facilitator if you do not agree with DWC fees.

This fee to place books on your account has been brought up in the past and CGC chooses to side with DWC because the bring the money with the amount of submissions.

Again no secret!

:facepalm:

Sooo...there is no point to any of it? :facepalm:

If you disagree with someone's fees, is the first, best idea to start complaining in public or contact them and confirm that these fees are actually correct and not the result of a misunderstanding? On a show floor, things can get hurried and loud, it could be the result of a misunderstanding or it could be correct. Why not make sure of it before complaining?

Is a $ number more for a "birthday present" for a friend really something to post over? Was the book fast tracked that was being given as a present? Wait that would be an extra fee. Is the friend going to complain about extra fees for a birthday present?

Read the post!

It says he was charged a fee for placing it on his account. He is asking if this should be the allowed. Has nothing to do with asking DWC anything. Everyone knows they charge fees to do this along with sig color choice, cracking a SS slab fee? (which can only be done in front of a witness????? so they get you on any yellow label) etc. There is no secret here. He is asking if it should be allowed to charge these fees for using your own account. We all know that CGC is not going to get involved and their stance has always been to use another facilitator if you do not agree with DWC fees.

This fee to place books on your account has been brought up in the past and CGC chooses to side with DWC because the bring the money with the amount of submissions.

Again no secret!

:facepalm:

Sooo...there is no point to any of it? :facepalm:

If you disagree with someone's fees, is the first, best idea to start complaining in public or contact them and confirm that these fees are actually correct and not the result of a misunderstanding? On a show floor, things can get hurried and loud, it could be the result of a misunderstanding or it could be correct. Why not make sure of it before complaining?

See website. fees are stated there.

Also, for those of you questioning asking DWC, on their website it states graded Stan Lee subs are $110. and Non graded subs are $90 for Moderns. See specific Stan Lee CGC Signature Series Pricing.

http://www.desertwindcomics.com/pricing.html

90-50 sig fee = 40 in question.

For one who urges everyone to read more closely, you're sure glossing over a lot of stuff yourself. This was not a non-graded sub. Granted it was not graded on DWC's account, but it was to be graded. mschmidt indicated that the fee for submitting on a non-DWC account is $20. I'm guessing he was saying that from first hand knowledge and wasn't just throwing a number out there. And while that fee has been debated ad nauseum on these boards, there probably hasn't been a single person whose opinion about DWC has changed as a result of those debates.

Until DWC either confirms or adjusts the charge, there really isn't anything for the rest of us to discuss. As I said earlier, if the charge is confirmed, then by all means get out your pitchforks and torches. On the other hand, if an adjustment is made, in all fairness the OP should let us know that as well.

Yup. It's all there. In black and white. So what is the complaint?

I guess Transplant was not aware of the amounts DWC for Stan Lee stuff and wanted to make everyone aware of the prices charged.

Yup. It's all there. In black and white. So what is the complaint?

I guess Transplant was not aware of the amounts DWC for Stan Lee stuff and wanted to make everyone aware of the prices charged.

As you have made abundantly clear, it is on their webiste. How much more aware do we need to be?

Also, for those of you questioning asking DWC, on their website it states graded Stan Lee subs are $110. and Non graded subs are $90 for Moderns. See specific Stan Lee CGC Signature Series Pricing.

http://www.desertwindcomics.com/pricing.html

90-50 sig fee = 40 in question.

For one who urges everyone to read more closely, you're sure glossing over a lot of stuff yourself. This was not a non-graded sub. Granted it was not graded on DWC's account, but it was to be graded. mschmidt indicated that the fee for submitting on a non-DWC account is $20. I'm guessing he was saying that from first hand knowledge and wasn't just throwing a number out there. And while that fee has been debated ad nauseum on these boards, there probably hasn't been a single person whose opinion about DWC has changed as a result of those debates.

Until DWC either confirms or adjusts the charge, there really isn't anything for the rest of us to discuss. As I said earlier, if the charge is confirmed, then by all means get out your pitchforks and torches. On the other hand, if an adjustment is made, in all fairness the OP should let us know that as well.

This was posted after my pic???? You tell me???

(shrug)

DWC confirms the charge on the website. See pick above.

doh!

No, they don't.

If you are mailing the book to DWC, it's $110 for a modern Stan Lee SS book (excluding the CGC return shipping fees). If you are bringing the book to a show where Stan is appearing, the cost is $95-100, depending on whether you pay by credit card or cash. Both of those scenarios involve the book being subbed under DWC's account, not yours.

If you want to sub the book under your own account, DWC usually charges you $20 on top of the Stan Lee signing fee (which is $50-55, again depending on how you pay), for a total of $70-75..

Like I pointed out earlier, that they charged him $40 (instead of $20) is either due to a price increase or an error on DWC's side - I've subbed Stan Lee SS books under my own account through DWC several times in the past and have been charged $20 every time (with the explanation being that half went directly to Stan and half went to cover DWC's expenses).

If this has now gone up to $40, that's DWC's prerogative - but it would be nice to have a confirmation either way.

Actually, now I'm starting to wonder who got the book signed. In re-reading the OP, it sure sounds like DWC must have done it. Otherwise, what difference would it make whether the book was prepped and in a window bag? If it had already been signed, it wouldn't matter. If DWC handled getting the book signed, then from DWC's perspective this book is no different than any other book that someone gives to DWC to be signed but not graded.

If I've got it wrong, then Transplant can clear things up. But I think I'm not the only one under the impression that Transplant's friend handled getting the book signed.

Is a $ number more for a "birthday present" for a friend really something to post over? Was the book fast tracked that was being given as a present? Wait that would be an extra fee. Is the friend going to complain about extra fees for a birthday present?
Why would my friend ever know how much I paid to get? And yes, not that it matters, I did FT it. I want to get it back some time this century.

My point it's a birthday present, is $15-20 more something to post over for? Is a fee worth it for a convenience ie no mail away & use of your own account or fast tracking etc. (i would say yes you are paying for a convenience). If the buyer still pays the fee understanding the amount (you always have the right to ask for a breakdown not sure if the forums is the right place to do it especially if you have not gone through the motions of asking directly first) does he then have the right to complain about it.

My point it's a birthday present, is $15-20 more something to post over for?
Being a present doesn't have anything to do with it. It was mentioned just to explain why I couldn't wait for some non DWC mail away. It's a fee I don't understand and one I think more people need to be aware of.

Well if you don't understand the fee then why not ask for an explanation of the fees if it is not laid out in the invoice (better direct from DWC) instead of posting. Do you think people on the boards would know what the fees are better than DWC? As somewhereintexas stated if you do get an answer please post for others to know if it is 20 or 40 or ??? Otherwise all is best guess right now.