• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought two Ken Kelly paintings

14 posts in this topic

I'm sure others on this board have picked up some Ken Kelly paintings recently, what with over a dozen popping up on eBay for awesome prices. I got two of them this week and just can't wait to get them in.

These are the first oil paintings I've ever owned, and I hoped I could get some recommendations on how to frame them? Do they need those thick ornate frames, or is something sleeker ok? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Never, ever thought I'd own a Ken Kelly painting, let alone two and done for my favorite band, Coheed and Cambria. I am very, very lucky to have these!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Title&GSub=136940

coheed1.JPG

coheed2.JPG

Great paintings. I hope you have a nice place picked out for them.

Framing...

I would go 1 of 2 ways.

Simple black / silver frame, single mat.

Or

If you have a huge area... frame them with the album cover, even cooler if you can find it in vinyl (super extra bonus points for getting it signed)

No glass, no mat. If they are huge go with ornate. A lot of his paintings are large. Smaller pieces not so much. Find a frame that works with the piece. Paintings have frames that go with them more so than pen and ink pieces which work well with the drab black or silver. I almost always let my framer give me an option of 5 or so frames and pick the best one. I have never come back with one that I said why the hell did I let him do that. I think there may have been one I went with but questioned myself only to get it back and have it look great. The last piece I had done I passes on one of his top picks as it worked with the pieces style but the piece was just too small to support a frame that is 3 or 4 inches thick.

They are big, both 20x20 and painted to the edge. Thanks for the recommendations, I love the silver frame idea with a copy of the album. I'm nervous about there being no glass in the frame, since that means the art will be exposed. I suppose I shouldn't be though, this is just a first for me.

They are big, both 20x20 and painted to the edge. Thanks for the recommendations, I love the silver frame idea with a copy of the album. I'm nervous about there being no glass in the frame, since that means the art will be exposed. I suppose I shouldn't be though, this is just a first for me.

You need to be more concerned about the edges of the paintings in the frame moreso than no glass.

1000's of museums around the world have oil paintings framed with no glass, they cant all be wrong.

(thumbs u

This is what I did with my Ken Kelly. It's very large over all size with frame is 26x37. It is the most ornate frame I have used to date. In person it looks like it could have come off the walls of the Kravinoff mansion. No glass since it is oil on masonite. I hear you about your concern about no glass. I have one other piece not under glass and I always worry about it getting damaged. It is acrylic which normally I would put under glass BUT Jusko put a varnish over it. I will tell you that even with museum glass or other non glare...there will still be a glare. Pieces usually wind up looking better and their true nature not being placed under glass.

A lot of time I will use colors in the paintings to determine the type of frame. I could see a gold working with your second painting due to the yellows. These are probably the two most elaborate frames I have used. You may want to check out the framed art thread for ideas.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2154883&fpart=11

And remember if you frame the published material with the art it will drive the price of framing up along with taking up extra wall space.

kravenframe1.jpg

mephfram1.jpg

Mephisto, those are beautiful!

I just picked up the paintings from UPS. These suckers are big! Now I'll have to find a good place for them in my tiny 500 sq/ft apartment... My wife wants them to go right behind the couch, but I'm not too sure how appropriate they would be for guests to see first thing :)

Thank you for the recommendations and help everyone, I really appreciate it!