• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey 2: Totally sucked!

92 posts in this topic

In defense of the original poster, why should he compare SPIDEY 2 only too superhero movies. I look at SPIDEY, HULK, X-MEN, BATMAN, etc as ACTION movies.

I could name 50 action movies that are thought were better than any of these.

Lastly, Doc Ock's plot was pretty much pointless. Yes, he wants to create perpetual power, but WHY would his TENTACLES want him to rebuild it? Made ZERO sense to me.

ummmmm, you know what? thats a great point!! WHat do the tentacles care? Maybe they loved Ock, and were protective of him, and wanted to reestablish his reputation. Afetr they became 'one' wiht him, they took on HIS desires too. ANyway. what else could the tentacles want? Rob banks? take over the world? Four armed female tentacles? Fo rthat matter, what was Doc Ock's motivation in teh comics exactly wxcept to be the best darned super villain of them all and get rich???

The Tentacles as I understood it had sentience(sp?) Hence the need for the control chip because it connected with his subconscious. When chip was damaged the tentacles had full connection to his subsonscious and his deep desires and an equal part of his brain

His main desire was to prove his experiment right so he would do anything to fix it.

A sane man would think of robbing a bank then quickly give up the idea. the tentacles tied into his subsonscious took the dark desire and brought it up to the conscious level and would argue with his human brain on a 4-1 level.

He had some control over tentacles mostly when his desires matched their but he had to really stugle to overcome his subconscious Level.

Well thats my idea anyway!

In defense of the original poster, why should he compare SPIDEY 2 only too superhero movies. I look at SPIDEY, HULK, X-MEN, BATMAN, etc as ACTION movies.

I could name 50 action movies that are thought were better than any of these.

Because if he compares Spidey 2 with movies that are not superhero ones it will become an OFF-TOPlC debate...and do any of us really want to go there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

But seriously, I was just curious if he has liked ANY superhero movies, considering they generally have the same plot, storyline and basic idea behind them.

West

Because if he compares Spidey 2 with movies that are not superhero ones it will become an OFF-TOPlC debate...and do any of us really want to go there?

But seriously, I was just curious if he has liked ANY superhero movies, considering they generally have the same plot, storyline and basic idea behind them.

West

That's a fair response.

But it would be interesting to see what a really great action director could do with a really good superhero story. Most of the directors they are getting, (i.e. Sam Rammi-Spidey, Bryan Singer-X-Men, Ang Lee-Hulk) aren't ACTION directors per se. But since I want to see ACTION that takes it to the next level (similar to Peter Jackson taking the LOTR to another level of movie making), I'm usually let down.

i liked seeing spidey moving "at speed" its somthing you don't really see in the books.

does anyone think that aunt may (KNOWS) peters (secert?) as it seems her talk hinted that

to me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Lastly, Doc Ock's plot was pretty much pointless. Yes, he wants to create perpetual power, but WHY would his TENTACLES want him to rebuild it? Made ZERO sense to me.

ummmmm, you know what? thats a great point!! WHat do the tentacles care? Maybe they loved Ock, and were protective of him, and wanted to reestablish his reputation. Afetr they became 'one' wiht him, they took on HIS desires too. ANyway. what else could the tentacles want? Rob banks? take over the world? Four armed female tentacles? Fo rthat matter, what was Doc Ock's motivation in teh comics exactly wxcept to be the best darned super villain of them all and get rich???

The Tentacles as I understood it had sentience(sp?) Hence the need for the control chip because it connected with his subconscious. When chip was damaged the tentacles had full connection to his subsonscious and his deep desires and an equal part of his brain

His main desire was to prove his experiment right so he would do anything to fix it.

A sane man would think of robbing a bank then quickly give up the idea. the tentacles tied into his subsonscious took the dark desire and brought it up to the conscious level and would argue with his human brain on a 4-1 level.

He had some control over tentacles mostly when his desires matched their but he had to really stugle to overcome his subconscious Level.

Well thats my idea anyway!

The tentacles' entire purpose was to act as control and containment devices for Doc Ock's experiment. Presumably he gave them "sentience" so they could act independently from his mind during critical stages of the test. You'll notice that as the containment field starts to break down, the tentacles are flying all over the place attempting to control the breeching flares. Meanwhile, Doc Ock is frantically working on screwing things up even more. There's no way he's in control of the tentacles at this point.

Hence, the "intelligent" tentacles only "knew" one thing: the experiment. Given free reign over the situation (due to the destruction of the inhibitor chip), they naturally focused their attention on that sole endeavor and used their influence over Doc Ock's mind to perpetuate it.

grin.gif

Now ask me to explain how Jeff Goldblum managed to write a virus to infect the aliens in Independence Day! grin.gifgrin.gif

Alan

or how he managed to create the perfect plug to upload the virus into their computer? At least if they mad e the film today he would have logged on wirelessly. Maybe even have done it from earth. but I digress.

or how he managed to create the perfect plug to upload the virus into their computer? At least if they mad e the film today he would have logged on wirelessly. Maybe even have done it from earth. but I digress.

sign-offtopic.gif

Actually, he did upload it via wireless. As established, all of the ships down to even the scout craft were linked with the mother ship. It wasn't 802.11B, but there had to be some underlying protocol to it.

And I'm serious about having a logical explanation about how he did it. Well, logical to me, anyway. There is one tiny flaw that involves an extra dose of suspension of disbelief, but I still think it works.

grin.gif

I seem to remember their space ship going all th eway into th emother ship and docking. Thereby plugging in.

How this: NASA had a captured ship that was powered up. right? They had 40 years to work on the systems and software so when Goldblum arrived, his special genius allowed him to take what they had done and finish it.

I seem to remember their space ship going all th eway into th emother ship and docking. Thereby plugging in.

That's fine, but then you run into the "universal plug" problem you cited earlier. I always assumed that their docking with the mother ship was just that -- a simple physical connection. Uploading the virus via wireless is a lot simpler explanation. grin.gif

How this: NASA had a captured ship that was powered up. right? They had 40 years to work on the systems and software so when Goldblum arrived, his special genius allowed him to take what they had done and finish it.

thumbsup2.gif That was my take on it. Only the scout ship wasn't powered up until the mother ship got within range of the Earth, thus giving the Area 51 scientists only a couple of days to figure the systems out fully. Hence, the explanation has its flaws.

However, if they truly had the greatest minds in the world working on the captured scout ship, they still could have ascertained a ton of info by simply observing the powered-down systems. For instance, they could tell if the equipment used binary logic gates or something else (quantum computing, perhaps?), and from there have generally extrapolated the overlying machine language. Then, once the systems powered up, they could test their theories. (This is the "stretch" I mentioned earlier.)

Once they knew how the systems operated, it was a simple enough matter for them to explain to Goldblum what the underlying language looked like. This is why he grabs the young scientist after having his epiphany about "giving them a cold" -- he needed someone in the know to help him with crafting the machine code for the virus. Presumably the Area 51 staff had already started working on writing their own networking protocols to tap into the alien grid, so all Brundlefly had to do was craft the virus.

Yeah, I have too much time on my hand. grin.gif

Alan

Independence Day is a WAY better movie than ANY superhero film I have ever seen. I would love to what Roland Emmerich could do with the right superhero story.

And I now see the point about Doc Ock tentacles wanting to continue with the project. Still a weak plot (IMO), but at least it makes a little bit more sense. I kinda perfer good old fashion Die Hard plots. "So this all about money". Yeah, Da!!!!!

I seem to remember their space ship going all the way into th emother ship and docking. Thereby plugging in.

That's fine, but then you run into the "universal plug" problem you cited earlier. I always assumed that their docking with the mother ship was just that -- a simple physical connection. Uploading the virus via wireless is a lot simpler explanation. grin.gif

if I remember correctly, they had to wait (or they waited) UNTIL they docked to start uploading, therefore I took it to mean a physical connection was necessary. Regardless, it was an exciting movie and realistic enough to hold itself together without being implausible. A fun ride with lots af good stuff in it.

I seem to remember their space ship going all the way into th emother ship and docking. Thereby plugging in.

if I remember correctly, they had to wait (or they waited) UNTIL they docked to start uploading, therefore I took it to mean a physical connection was necessary. Regardless, it was an exciting movie and realistic enough to hold itself together without being implausible. A fun ride with lots af good stuff in it.

They did need to get inside the ship so they could launch the nuke and cause the "big distraction" needed to throw off the alien's defenses. Presumably, the aliens have really good anti-virus software and would have defeated Brundlefly's primitive attack within a matter of seconds. Nuking them, however, caused them to have much bigger problems to worry about. grin.gif

In any event, I agree that the flick was a fun ride! I usually catch a bit of it every time it's on television. That and Armageddon. But that's another story altogether! smile.gif

Alan

Ok.. I was away all weekend.. and I was surprised tonight to see that Taste_of_H8red has taken the 5th since his original post.

Gee.. didnt see that coming. foreheadslap.gif

( cue the cricket sound effects in the background..)

sleeping.gif

No follow up Taste?? confused-smiley-013.gif

C'mon we need forum fodder.. stooges.gif

please come back..

Z