• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 50, FF 29, 41, 60, SGT FURY 7, Plastic Man 46, Hit, Rudolph, WTOTF 5, etc

33 posts in this topic

That #15 is so lovely… :)

It will take some time for me to lay the basis for early FF purchases… Golden age is distracting, can’t concentrate (and spend) on both. :P

I find I'm happiest when I diversify. I guess I'm almost what coinees call a Type Collector. My absolute favorite stuff is the Atom Age niche genres and early SA....but I've got a few of everything. One of my favorite books is a Supernatural Thrillers with the Howard story "Valley of the Worm".....high grade and only cost 10 bucks. That Battlefield with the Jerry Robinson cover that you just got is beautiful......I came so close to going after it myself.GODBLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Yes, problem is I diversify, and that’s just good, but I also find difficult to focus, and that’s not. I do not mean focus on a genre, rather to narrow my collecting.

Since I have constantly the excuse of some research intent, I end up buying too much of everything, and if I have to purchase a book which is important but more costly I see I have spent too much here and there.

I am happy with the Battlefront purchase, however. Since I started to get into golden age super-hero books with war-themed stories, I have delved into the 1950s and the cold war just a little, and that cover seemed a wonderful opportunity to enrich my scope, since I have read there is also a John Romita story within.

Yes, problem is I diversify, and that’s just good, but I also find difficult to focus, and that’s not. I do not mean focus on a genre, rather to narrow my collecting.

Since I have constantly the excuse of some research intent, I end up buying too much of everything, and if I have to purchase a book which is important but more costly I see I have spent too much here and there.

I am happy with the Battlefront purchase, however. Since I started to get into golden age super-hero books with war-themed stories, I have delved into the 1950s and the cold war just a little, and that cover seemed a wonderful opportunity to enrich my scope, since I have read there is also a John Romita story within.

Atlas is one of my favorites of all.....and still kind of affordable for as scarce as many of them are. I put together a run of "Bible Tales for Young Folks" and they have Robinson covers.....took years.....but all 5 cost less than 200 total. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Weird Tales of the Future 5.......G......$240 ( VERY glossy, White pages, would be VG but 1 page is ripped completely in half lengthwise but still with the book. Does not affect Wolverton stories )

101_0336.jpg

Jimbo- Do you have a copy of WTF #5? That's the one I'm looking for. :kidaround:

Weird Tales of the Future 5.......G......$240 ( VERY glossy, White pages, would be VG but 1 page is ripped completely in half lengthwise but still with the book. Does not affect Wolverton stories )

101_0336.jpg

Jimbo- Do you have a copy of WTF #5? That's the one I'm looking for. :kidaround:

...I'll get on the scent right away...... :ohnoez: GOD BLESS...

Atlas is one of my favorites of all.....and still kind of affordable for as scarce as many of them are. I put together a run of "Bible Tales for Young Folks" and they have Robinson covers.....took years.....but all 5 cost less than 200 total. GOD BLESS....

I did not even know they existed, very fascinating. Do you know who wrote and draw the stories?

I did not even know they existed, very fascinating. Do you know who wrote and draw the stories?

Mine are mostly VG+ type copies and they were tough to find even in those grades. I think Stan wrote most.....it was one of the few titles in his file collection that were bound . The artists run the gamut of his stable.....Colan, Anderson, Everett, Heath, Sinnot, Robinson, etc......VERY well done. It seems they took the material seriously. It's a fun challenge to put a run together. My one regret was not getting a VF #2 from Metro a few years ago,my favorite one, because I was worried it would make the others look bad.....foolish. GOD BLESS....

BIBLECOLLECTION.jpg

Mine are mostly VG+ type copies and they were tough to find even in those grades. I think Stan wrote most.....it was one of the few titles in his file collection that were bound . The artists run the gamut of his stable.....Colan, Anderson, Everett, Heath, Sinnot, Robinson, etc......VERY well done. It seems they took the material seriously. It's a fun challenge to put a run together. My one regret was not getting a VF #2 from Metro a few years ago,my favorite one, because I was worried it would make the others look bad.....foolish. GOD BLESS....

BIBLECOLLECTION.jpg

Thanks Jim, wow they must be really well done. I have been often put off by certain catechetical comics (not only US culture related) since they were not so well written, and somewhat literal, and when I met something artistically of note I may find it problematic in teologic terms. An excellent example is Marcus Morris and Frank Hampson's (creators of Dan Dare) "The Road of Courage", which ran on the anglican Eagle in the early 1960s.

Artistically speaking, remains an awesome work. Morris and Hampson traveled to the Holy Land, and the art was awesomely realistic, as per Hampson’s high standards. Plus, there is an awesome idea concerning Barabbas, which I do not anticipate because I’d highly recommend the hardcover, if it still can be found.

Other stories I found truly remarkable are Joe Sinnott’s life of Pope John XXIII, which ran on Treasure Chest’s 1962 issues. It shows all the love Sinnott put in his work, and he also did other amazing stuff on TC before he started to ink continuously the FF. There is an anedocte I found highly uplifting concerning this turning point in his career. I’d love to write to Joe, as he’s still here. :)