• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how "Short Term" are poly bags really?

22 posts in this topic

I'm in a situation where I'm reboarding and bagging around 3500 books. My budget is prohibitive, so I'm unable to afford even the thinnest Mylites (1 mil).

As it is, I'm erring on the side of a better board, so I'm springing for Gerber Half-backs (since they are Acid-free), but I can't afford Mylar bags. For a few years now I've used 1.5 mil Polypropylene bags with a self-adhesive strip (from BagsUnlimited) Yes, these are the crinkly-but-super-clear bags. I like them not only because they are half the price of most other bags, but I find the resealable strip convenient and the clarity appealing. (think: poorman's mylar)

Anyway, in reading some FAQ's regarding bags on manufacturer's sites, (like Gerber's) they would have me believe that my bags (or any poly bag) is short term storage only.

So, if that really is the case, just how short term are we talking about here?

At some point, I will be putting all my SA books in Mylite 4 and bronze, copper, and modern in 2's. But that won't be for many years at this point.

From what I've read it's "every 5 to 7 years", but I personally don't worry about it too much. I'm planning on getting some mylar sometime soon but I'm not going to bag every comic I own with them. Poly bags haven't damaged any of my comics that I've noticed.

So I'd say replace them any time they look dirty or old, otherwise I think they're fine.

Short term polybags seem to be a good choice because of cost but long term Mylar saves you money since they seem to last indefinitely but polybags have to be changed out no later than 5-7 years. Take into consideration your time to change them out and the risk of doing damage in the process and Mylar starts looking like the better choice. If you like spending your free time changing bags and boards than the cheap ones are the way to go.(:

I'm sold on Mylar, and hope to do a a full replacement at some point, but this isn't the time just yet. I've had good luck with the bags I use and feel like they are a step up from the soft-plastic poly bags that wrinkle, yellow, and cloud so easily. They are stretched in two direction during production and advertised to not dimple or wrinkle. That's good for appearances, but may not be the replacement indicator that you describe.

I'm mainly concerned about exposure to oxygen and acid from some of the boxes I have them in. (I'm also slowly replacing my boxes with Corrugated plastic ones) Gerber's site makes a big deal about the particle density of the poly bags and how they aren't as airtight as one would think (long term).

I'm hoping, by not skimping on the backing board, that I will be able to rest easy for at least 5 years.

Why not do it slowly and invest the money you are spending into better bags and boards now. I would rather have 500 books stored properly in bags I don't have to worry about, compared to rebagging all of my collection and worrying about having to spend money all over again. Start with the more expensive books and when your budget allows rebag some more till you are done.

Why not do it slowly and invest the money you are spending into better bags and boards now.

I would, and will, for the 1000 books already bagged that constitute my existing collection. The problem is I just bought about 2000 high grade books from the 70's-80's that are completely naked in short boxes. They are all the result of being rejected by the CGC for being below 9.8 (the previous owner's grading threshold) and I got them for an excellent price. (most are 9.2-9.6) I simply can't leave them in that condition for long. I would like to go through them and see exactly what I have, but cringe every time I dip my hand in the box and probe for a safe purchase point among the 100's of exposed corners in a given box.

Just looking for the best option to get these books protected now, but not to just throw my money away for a temporary fix. If I can get by safely for 5-7 years, I am happy with that.

Just curious, when I decide to replace them with Mylar, what do you all think of slipping the whole thing in to a Mylite2? (i.e. polybagged and boarded comic into the mylar). Assuming the Poly is still looking good in a few years of course! It would minimize unnecessary damage normally caused by rebagging.

Why not do it slowly and invest the money you are spending into better bags and boards now.

I would, and will, for the 1000 books already bagged that constitute my existing collection. The problem is I just bought about 2000 high grade books from the 70's-80's that are completely naked in short boxes. They are all the result of being rejected by the CGC for being below 9.8 (the previous owner's grading threshold) and I got them for an excellent price. (most are 9.2-9.6) I simply can't leave them in that condition for long. I would like to go through them and see exactly what I have, but cringe every time I dip my hand in the box and probe for a safe purchase point among the 100's of exposed corners in a given box.

Just looking for the best option to get these books protected now, but not to just throw my money away for a temporary fix. If I can get by safely for 5-7 years, I am happy with that.

Just curious, when I decide to replace them with Mylar, what do you all think of slipping the whole thing in to a Mylite2? (i.e. polybagged and boarded comic into the mylar). Assuming the Poly is still looking good in a few years of course! It would minimize unnecessary damage normally caused by rebagging.

That would be an absolutely awful idea - the whole point of using Mylar bags for your comic books is that Mylar doesn't break down & off-gas over time. By putting a poly bag inside a mylar bag, you're dumping a non-acid-free element into an archival-safe environment and thereby negating the entire reason for using Mylar bags in the first place.

I've seen comics stored in old, filthy, yellowed bags that came out looking minty fresh. I think storage environment plays more of a role in preservation than bags do.

I would tend to agree.

I am not that familiar with pedigrees, but weren't a lot of them simply "stored" without mylars and backing boards?

(Not trying to belittle Mylars and backing boards, just that other variables are at play as well).

That would be an absolutely awful idea - the whole point of using Mylar bags for your comic books is that Mylar doesn't break down & off-gas over time. By putting a poly bag inside a mylar bag, you're dumping a non-acid-free element into an archival-safe environment and thereby negating the entire reason for using Mylar bags in the first place.

I figured as much, but needed to hear someone say it. I appreciate your straight-forwardness ;)

I've seen comics stored in old, filthy, yellowed bags that came out looking minty fresh. I think storage environment plays more of a role in preservation than bags do.

I would tend to agree.

I am not that familiar with pedigrees, but weren't a lot of them simply "stored" without mylars and backing boards?

(Not trying to belittle Mylars and backing boards, just that other variables are at play as well).

A few years back, someone on the Boards described finding their old collection which had been stored a couple of decades ago in poly bags. Some books were in poly and some poly and boards. The ploy bags had not degraded the books but the regular acidic backing boards had done a number on the books. (shrug)

l find that 5 years is about the limit for polybags.

Mylar with acid free backers are a must. I use Mylite2 with Fullbacks for older books, and to save money, I'll just put two modern books (post 70's) in a Mylite+ with one halfback.

Another option is finding some friends to go in on a large order directly from E.Gerber. The more you buy, the less cost per unit.

I rebagged and boarded all my stuff about 8-9 years ago. after that, I said never again.

I've got all my "good stuff" in Mylite 2 or Mylar with fullbacks. The stuff I have in the longboxes (Copper and Modern commons), screw that. They can stay in there. Not gonna rebag/board all those. And, if I ever did, I certainly wouldn't put in the bucks that that Mylite 2/fullbacks cost for that stuff.

So, if that really is the case, just how short term are we talking about here?

I've bought stuff with bags on them from as far back as the 70s (over 30s old) and the comics and bags seem almost "new".

It really depends on storage conditions more than anything else.

Cool... Dry.... Dark....

And your in good shape.

Well, I sprung for 200 M2's with Full-Backs to get me going on the "good stuff". I had a box of early Sgt. Fury's and a full-run of the Phantom Stranger that got those (since they were naked)

I bought the cheap self-adhesive polypropylene bags from Bagsunlimited and Half-backs from Gerber for 2000+ book modern lot to cover. After reading all the advice here, I think I can live with that.

Every few months, I will order another 200 M2's and FB's for the rest of my good stuff. I like the feel of them. Plus, the books look great - even the 1.5'ers

Well, I sprung for 200 M2's with Full-Backs to get me going on the "good stuff". I had a box of early Sgt. Fury's and a full-run of the Phantom Stranger that got those (since they were naked)

I bought the cheap self-adhesive polypropylene bags from Bagsunlimited and Half-backs from Gerber for 2000+ book modern lot to cover. After reading all the advice here, I think I can live with that.

Every few months, I will order another 200 M2's and FB's for the rest of my good stuff. I like the feel of them. Plus, the books look great - even the 1.5'ers

Ahh. Phantom Stranger. A wonderful 70's series.Many a gorgeous cover... :cloud9:

This was good! (thumbs u

I bought the cheap self-adhesive polypropylene bags from Bagsunlimited

This was bad on two counts :P Why self-adhesive? They are both awkward and dangerous - I've never understood these.