• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lou Fine Covers - Best Examples!

110 posts in this topic

The best way to appreciate Lou Fine's talent is to see an original like this one. His delicate and refined inking is irretrievably muddled by the printing. Even seemingly mundane panels like the last one are quite impressive in person. :cloud9:

131467.jpg

The best way to appreciate Lou Fine's talent is to see an original like this one. His delicate and refined inking is irretrievably muddled by the printing. Even seemingly mundane panels like the last one are quite impressive in person. :cloud9:

131467.jpg

OMG The Everglades? Then what? The Flame and water don't mix.

131467.jpg

...as I like to point out, only Fine would take the time to draw the Flame draping his cloak over his arm so it does not get wet...

I see what you mean. The folds in the fabric in that 5th panel are exquisite.

By the way, this thread just cost me some money.

I am in the middle of a major purge of my collection, and as I was going thru the GA with my LCS dealer, I had to stop him and take back my beat up copy of National #16.

It's just too cool.

131467.jpg

...and how long do you think it took him to do the wrecked train....?

131633.jpg.c43bb0edd618b011bdefb935c57ff8ac.jpg

131467.jpg

or more ghoul drool

131634.jpg.95eb7fb8b52a21f078a1f6845998cf62.jpg

or more ghoul drool

Here is a side piece to a larger article on Fox comics I did for CBM eons ago. Note the praise from fellow artists for Fine....It is all kinda of summed up in the last sentence...jb

Although not the most prolific of the golden age artists, Lou Fine has left his indelible imprint as one of the finest draftsman of his time. In a real sense, Fine was an “artist’s artist”. Superior drawing skills coupled with an uncanny sense of composition (see Hit Comics 8), Fine’s work continues to be admired and collected by golden age enthusiasts. He had the unique ability to bring motion to the drawn page (see, for example, Jumbo 10 or Hit Comics 9). There is something intoxicating about the elegant and lyrical covers created by Lou Fine. In addition to his technical drawing prowess, the rich and unique colors chosen by Fine for his covers (how often does one see pink used effectively?) contribute an additional dimension that enhances his drawings. (For example, examine the colors of Hit Comics 4 and 5 or Wonderworld 10 or 11).

Fine drew an number of early features for Jumbo Comics as part of the Iger-Eisner shop. He continued his association with this shop as it produced comics for Fox and Quality Publications. For these companies he drew many of the early adventures of “The Flame” in Wonderworld Comics, “Dollman” in Feature Comics, “The Black Condor” in Crack Comics and “The Ray” for Smash Comics. Much of his magnificent artwork for these features remains “hidden” due to the rarity of these books. However, it is his covers that have secured Fine’s stature as one of the preeminent craftsman of the golden age. Several of his covers are thought to have been created in conjunction with layouts by William Eisner. (For example, the Fiction House covers and , perhaps, early National Comics covers.) Some later National Comics covers may have been a collaboration with Reed Crandell.

Note his work for Fox Publications abruptly ends with books cover dated April 1940. Accordingly, Wierd Comics 2 (probably a Joe Simon cover), Green Mask 1 ( Summer 1940) and Samson 1 (Fall 1940), which are ascribed to Fine may have to be reassessed. There is a two month hiatus of covers as Fine made the switch to Quality Publications.

I have quipped that I am Lou Fine’s #1 fan. However, after speaking with Gil Kane, Murphy Anderson and others, I have learned that I will just have to stand in line.

-Jon Berk

Will Eisner-

“I had respect for his towering kind of

draftsmanship. He was the eptiome

of the honest draftsman...His consummate

skill may never be equalled.” Gil Kane-

“I went crazy over Lou’s stuff...What most don’t realize is that all the rest of the comic publishing community were literally slaves waiting for each new issue of anything Fine would do...as an instructional course in ‘how to

do’ comics.”

Joe Simon-

“My favorite artist was Lou Fine.

He was also Jack Kirby’s favorite

artist. I know that Jack was a fan

of and greatly influenced by Fine’s work.”

Murphy Anderson-

This one came in the mail today from a beloved boardie(along with lots of other goodies). A really cool book. I may get the book restored eventually to remove the tape, but it's one heckuva nice book to own as is.

hit7_0001.jpg

What a great cover. Nice pickup, Larry!

Funny, I've always been of the mentality that "Fine=Fox", but lately I too have been taking a second look at those early Hits. Just some terrific work.