• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

History Lesson?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a place that I can find out about the "history of original art"?

From what I can tell, in the beginning, pages were just a byproduct of the comic and not considered worth anything. Later, pages were sold but at throw-away prices (even back then?) the artist not thinking they would really gain in value, then at some point the value started to increase rather slowly, then accelerated and then BAM!... here we are today.

Anyone have a nice timeline history lesson?

Does anyone know a place that I can find out about the "history of original art"?

Anyone have a nice timeline history lesson?

You mighty want to check my Cochran Art Auctions thread (ongoing). It will give you an insight into how art values have increased since I entered the hobby as a buyer back in 1982.

RR, I think you'll have to piece much of this together by yourself.

The first time I saw a price guide for OA, it was Jerry Weist's 1992 Original Comic Art Price Guide; you can pick up a used Amazon copy for about $4.00. Really dated but kind of fun in a "Boy, I wish those prices were still around" kind of way.

Mark Salisbury did a book called Artists on Comic Art in 2000, which I found really interesting but it only occasionally touches on comic art as a collectible (Brian Bolland regrets not having physical artwork to sell -- "People pay good money for it").

There's the book Grailpages by Steven Payne, about comic art and collectors, but I'm told it's heavy on Marvel and Romita, Sr., in particular, neither of which are strong interests of mine. I haven't read it yet but if I was a Romita fan, I'd be there.

Best of luck.

Thanks Terry and Hal.. the Cochran Art Auctions thread is really interesting. I will check out any resource I can to get a little info.

I know in retrospect the prices back in the 80's seem so obvious now. What I would love to know, those that purchased back in those days, did they think the art would gain in value.