• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Batman 171 - Let's try this again UPDATED

28 posts in this topic

Sorry for the last posting, I am just figuring out how to upload images to this.

Up for your review is a Batman #171 I just recently purchased. I will try and provide you with as many pictures to aide you in your grading. These are the problems with the comic:

1. some bends/creasing on the spine, bottom right corner and three long creases (very light) on the front cover

2. the massive tear - yeah I caused this accidentally while reading the comic one last time before sending it to CGC! (my free grading coupons arrived the same day just to remind me of my luck!)

3. tear/hole on the front cover - it is really tiny maybe half the size of a penny

Good things about the comic:

1. the cover is still glossy

2. no missing pages

3. every page is really nice (pages don't seem too brittle) except for the page I tore

Questions:

1. grade?

2. how much will I be penalized for the tear? (just to reassure how I just docked myself a few points)

3. is the comic even worth keeping/a collectible? (I'm not planning on selling my comics at all but I rather have a nicer copy on display than an eye-sore of a 1.5 etc...) I plan on putting it in a shadowbox

My goal is to get a 3.5-4.0 (fingers crossed lol) as always I love discussion! Thanks again!

maincover.jpg

cornerriddler.jpg

covertear.jpg

insidetear.jpg

riddlerbackcover.jpg

riddlercover.jpg

I'll go first on this one. With the torn pages inside and the subscription creased running down the center and everything else going on in the front. Somehow the back came away unscathed!! Amazing!

I'd give this book a 3.0-3.5? It does have good color on the cover but too much wear overall to warrant anything above that.

Can't grade with these kind of pics,sorry. meh

Not even a crack at it?

What do you guys think? Is this comic worth collecting? I just plan on keeping it in a shadowbox, but like I said I don't want an eye-sore of a grade...thoughts?

Questions: (with answers in bold)

1. grade? 2.0

2. how much will I be penalized for the tear? 1 full point from 3.0

3. is the comic even worth keeping/a collectible? Yes (until you get an upgrade)and No (after you get an upgrade). :grin:

How did you tear the page?

Unfortunately the front cover has the most problems and has killed the eye appeal so regardless of grade, it's an ugly book (sorry, not trying to be rude)

Is it collectible? Of course it is. First SA Riddler always a good book. As an aside, I remember offering $40 for a mint copy when it was $4 in Guide. Then $200 when it was $20 or $25.

Never got a legit NM or what would now be a 9.2

get it graded to protect it if you're gonna keep it

sell it raw

keith

I tore it while reading it. If you look closely at the picture, the page was already creased so the tear was an accident waiting to happen. I'm getting it graded (with the CGC membership coupon). I plan on keeping it and am getting it graded to preserve it. I know the front has some serious damage hence why all the feedback here is 2.0-3.5 range. The cover is still glossy.

I'd say 2.0 to 2.5.

If you've got a freebie for CGC subscription maybe it's worth trying to get a 5.5 raw copy which you could pick up under $100 if you look and have some luck. Get that cgc'd it will have made you some money. If you cgc this one and it comes back 2.0 your left with a $20 slabed comic.

Just a thought