• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel reboot on cnn.com

63 posts in this topic

Oh gee reboots, that's original meh

I'm really surprised how many people on this forum don't know the difference between a reboot and a relaunch.

Oh gee relaunch, that's original meh

(worship)

I like the skottie young covers! Reboot..relaunch...regurgitate...whatever you call hopefully it brings in new comic collectors to keep this hobby of ours going. I just hope its not a repeat of the 90's though..maybe I can sell my 90's drek to the new collectors hm

"The Superior Spider-Man"?

Pompous.

Pompous doesn't rhyme as well as Superior.

But I smell a spin-off..... "Pompous Peter Parker" or "Power Packed Potboilers with the Pompous Peter Parker."

it brings in new comic collectors to keep this hobby of ours going.

Actually, it doesn't.

New comic collectors are not entering the hobby. The people that will buy these books are the same 35 to 60 year old demographic segment that already buys comics.

121105021928-cap-now-vertical-gallery.jpg

And you'd think after 70 years Cap would know how to hold his shield. Or at least a veteran artist would know how to draw him that way.

What is that supposed to be, some kind of bizarre left handed frisbee throw?

He just caught it, perhaps? (shrug)

It can make for an awkward snapshot image.

captainamerica6.jpg

121105021928-cap-now-vertical-gallery.jpg

And you'd think after 70 years Cap would know how to hold his shield. Or at least a veteran artist would know how to draw him that way.

What is that supposed to be, some kind of bizarre left handed frisbee throw?

He just caught it, perhaps? (shrug)

It can make for an awkward snapshot image.

captainamerica6.jpg

My problem with jr jr is how he makes everyone so blocky. Like everyone is built out of Legos. And his noses...

I like the skottie young covers! Reboot..relaunch...regurgitate...whatever you call hopefully it brings in new comic collectors to keep this hobby of ours going. I just hope its not a repeat of the 90's though..maybe I can sell my 90's drek to the new collectors hm

In a way, we are already seeing a return to the same type of stuff we saw in the 90's. Variants out the ying yang in an attempt to get people to buy. Are die cut and glow-in-the-dark covers not far behind? :P

I actually don't think it's all that bad.

He's very consistent in the way he draws characters. I can remember him drawing Spidey like that back in the 80's.

Hi, Roy,

My formative years in this hobby took place during Romita Jr's initial run on ASM, during the Roger Stern scripted years.

As a Spidey collector for 30 years and an OA collector for 10 years with focus on Romita Jr Spidey, I have to disagree with your statement regarding his consistency in the way he draws characters. Its simply not so.

Over the years, John's art has become much more raw and a lot less polished, perhaps due to work on two monthly titles or movie work or change in inkers.

I'm not certain how much of a difference can be attributed specifically to the inker, but what I do know is when Romita Sr or Al Williamson provided inks, Jr's artwork was excellent.

There are specific storylines where a specific inker was a perfect compliment to John's pencils, and I think the first 8 issue storyarc of Punisher War Zone highlights the wonderful addition of Klaus Janson's inks to the dark n gritty maffia story.

His work with other inkers has been hit-or-miss for several years now.

Fair enough. To me, he's consistent in what makes him JR JR and that is always instantly recognizable and not mistaken for someone else.

I do agree that he is more raw now than he used to be and like I said, I think that is the look that he is going for (just my own 2c, never talked to him about it) much like the look he went for back in the late 80's and early 90's when everyone was trying to emulate Frank Miller (or to a lesser degree, Bill Sienkiewicz) when that raw, dark look went mainstream.

I still like his work, it's just more "messy" and I prefer his cleaner work.

In a way, we are already seeing a return to the same type of stuff we saw in the 90's. Variants out the ying yang in an attempt to get people to buy. Are die cut and glow-in-the-dark covers not far behind? :P

The DC Death of the Family books have had die-cut covers already. :gossip:

I'm not certain how much of a difference can be attributed specifically to the inker, but what I do know is when Romita Sr or Al Williamson provided inks, Jr's artwork was excellent.

Go back farther to Iron Man when he was inked by Bob Layton. Romita/Layton is one of the best penciler/inker teams of all time.

Layton's a pretty tight inker though, and gives some of his own style to the work. I was a little surprised how loose Romita Jr.'s pencils were when I saw the Tryout Book back in the '80s.

I preferred his run on Thor.

NOW! seems like the same old thing with slight title changes. All the "architects" are there.

I actually don't think it's all that bad.

He's very consistent in the way he draws characters. I can remember him drawing Spidey like that back in the 80's.

Hi, Roy,

My formative years in this hobby took place during Romita Jr's initial run on ASM, during the Roger Stern scripted years.

As a Spidey collector for 30 years and an OA collector for 10 years with focus on Romita Jr Spidey, I have to disagree with your statement regarding his consistency in the way he draws characters. Its simply not so.

Over the years, John's art has become much more raw and a lot less polished, perhaps due to work on two monthly titles or movie work or change in inkers.

There are specific storylines where a specific inker was a perfect compliment to John's pencils, and I think the first 8 issue storyarc of Punisher War Zone highlights the wonderful addition of Klaus Janson's inks to the dark n gritty maffia story.

His work with other inkers has been hit-or-miss for several years now.

I love JRJR and I agree with this.

His line is much looser than it's ever been, and it's simply not as pleasing to my eye as his older work.

Pretty typical, really.

Woah!! This new "Superior Spider-Man" is going to be Spidey from 2099!?!? Anyone have a link to that Dan Slott interview? If that is the case I don't think I will be following the title. We need Parker as Spidey, we already have a different guy in a Spidey costume over in the Ultimate All-New Spider-Man: Miles Morales.