• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics Journal
3 3

316 posts in this topic

That was precisely what I was thinking! (thumbs u

An amazing series is the "Corporal Collins" feature on Blue Ribbon Comics, where Charles Biro starts by portraying the character stranded in France, and then he goes on in real time keeping an eye on the war events.

Unfortunately they are pretty rare and expensive, but I’d need some stories for my research.

And yes, two months before seems to have always been the average time lapse between cover date and newsstand offering of the books.

Entry #16Issue #10October 1940Rating: 5

flash10007_zps77e930a3.jpg

img001_zps2bea24cd.jpg

flash10002_zps4d5d3e0a.jpg

flash10003_zpsa99739f0.jpg

flash10004_zpsea5759d9.jpg

Judging by the ad in the comic, this issue was on the newsstands in August 1940. It interesting that the stories foreshadow real world events that was about to happen. U-boats attacks off the cost of Panama, US Empire in far off pacific islands coming under attack. These early Flash stories are still developing the Flash persona as a protectorate of the common man – and children. The Hawkman is more a shadowy figure that is not interested in using his occult skills for the service of the general public like the Flash. His talents are best used for assisting individuals. DC acknowledges these traits even today with the relaunch of the NEW 52! series. Note the John Denver character in this story. The other stories in this issue are also very entertaining to read. Once again, the classic Flash cover is not reflective of what the story is about in this issue.

Edited by tabcom

August 1940, we were already involved in the war. hm

Yes, that’s why I like so much certain superhero titles (but even non-superhero) from 1939-1942. The stories are often simple, but so much is put into them.

I am impressed by Moldoff’s art on the Hawkman. How long are the Hawkman stories in general? I was impressed to see how much stuff Lou Fine was able to put into a single 7-8 page story of Uncle Sam.

Thanks for keeping up with this, it’s MUCH appreciated! (thumbs u

Thanks for sourcing this, the Istituto Luce documentary footage, and the istitution per se has been one of the happiest "byproducts" left to us by fascism "efficiency":

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istituto_Luce

In 2009 it merged with another society:

http://www.cinecitta.com/wp/?page_id=2

and it still produces new documentaries of amazing quality, both in text and content. :)

Edited by vaillant

Entry #17Issue #11November 1940Rating: 5

flash11001.jpg

This issue is the last of the cover not being featured in the story. The splash page of the Hawkman story is best paired with the cover of issue #17. Although there isn’t anything noteworthy about them, the stories are enjoyable to read. Judging from the frequency of early Hawkman panels posted, he is easily the most popular character in year one of the title.

1101_zps392008d5.jpg

1102_zps2c1db2ac.jpg

1103_zps81e5b153.jpg

1104_zps3e0f2b5f.jpg

Edited by tabcom

No Flash Comics Journal entry today. Just a personal note. Today is our son's 5th birthday. So I thought I'd share family pictures.

tomandkari_zpsf723c8a5.jpg

elijahandt032713_zpsd40d9311.jpg

Me, Kara, Elijah, and Thomas II

next up . . . Flash Comics #12 (my favorite cover of the early issues)

Entry #18

Issue #12

December 1940

Rating: 5

photo flash012-1.jpg

Although Flash Comics #14 gets the ‘classic cover’ designation, I think this issue is worthy of classic distinction.

photo flash10028_zps38adee9f.jpg

By the end of 1940, The Flash story has now focused on the looming war in a far off land. Although the name of the countries is imaginary, the content of the story is not lost on the readers. After witnessing the raging war for too long, the Flash proclaims, “This has finally brought home to me how evil war really is – and how everyone should do everything in their power to help stamp it out!!’ With Flash style, coming to the aid of the the Kurtavians, their enemies, the Nuralians, weapons and uniforms are whisked away. Their U-boats disabled. Along with their power stations destroyed – peace is finally won.

Following the Flash story is a new strip. Les Watts: Radio Amateur. Where as the Flash is called to duty in war, Les Watts represents the American spirit of innovation and progress in technology. Or as the police officer in the last panel proclaims, ‘. . . real American boys – the kind all boys want to be.’

Having read the twelve installment of Johnny Thunder, I see a strong similarity between his powers and the popular sixties TV show ‘Bewitched’. Much like the comical spell casting of Samantha and her family on the helpless mortals, Johnny can turn ordinary people into animals or make them do things against their will, all for his simple minded whimsical desires.

photo flash10029_zpsaf123a79.jpg

Here is a sample of the the Whip by Homer Fleming.

photo flash10030_zps6acd81c7.jpg

“He keeps coming to the club and making violent love to me! Doctor, I tell you the man’s insane!!” “Well, I’ll admit, Miss Lewis, that he is very erratic. But there is no one in the field of Bio-Chemistry who can equal him. So please humor him a bit or he may have another stroke – Now I must say ‘Good Night’”, says Dr. Ray. I thought I would quote this particular panel from the first installment of “Minute Movies”, by Ed Whelan. Mad Doctor in search of a Bio-Chemical serum that makes young women do whatever he commands them to do, ‘make violent love’.

photo flash10031_zps6b8ef7f5.jpg

The Hawkman story continues the mythos making hero of the murky underworld themes.

Entry #20

Issue #13

January 1941

flash10048_zpse3414552.jpg

photo flash10051_zps34329ce3.jpg

The end of 1940 closes the first chapter of the Flash Comics series. The themes of fighting political bosses, underworld gangsters, and Karloff-like mad scientist are going to be sharing space with the new genre that emerges in 1941 – war. Hints of these new stories are seen in this issue’s Les Watts and Cliff Cornwall stories. The former tracks down a Bela Lugosi type thespian that wants to blow up destroyers while they are being launched in the harbor. The latter is invasion of Snowland (Greenland) by Korova (Japan) and Cliff is sent into action to protect the Monroe Doctrine! Both of these stories are an odd mixture of genres that fun to read.

photo flash10052_zpscb795f35.jpg

The King Standish stories are also unique. Drawn by Flash Comics #1 artist Harry Lampert and scripted by Fox, they are more about a secret love affair between the King, a quasi-good guy and the Witch, an unrepentant criminal. The King, more interested in frustrating the Witch then being a protectorate of the Law, enjoys seeing the Witch fail in her schemes. He joyfully turns her loose in order to play the game again – rather than turn her over to the Police.

photo flash10050_zpsdb8b1a5a.jpg

The art in the Flash becomes more fluid and expressive in the emotions of the bad guys as they confront the speed of the Flash.

flash1301.jpg

flash1302.jpg

flash1303.jpg

flash1304.jpg

The cover art would best been used for the Ione Craig stories back in issue #5 and 6.

Entry #21

Issue #14

February 1941

photo flash10053_zps54fbee21.jpg

War themes begin to take shape within this issue . . .

photo flash10057_zpsdbc18840.jpg

Another King vs. the Witch match of wits . . .

photo flash10056_zps4f110344.jpg

Les Watts . . .

photo flash10055_zpsa8c5b8dc.jpg

photo flash10060_zpsc4eb8939.jpg

photo flash10059_zps093ed995.jpg

photo flash10058_zpsf87bc974.jpg

Gardner Fox looks to the construction of the Midtown Tunnel, completed on November 15, 1940, for inspiration of this Flash story. Playing on the anxiety of cave-ins during construction of the tunnel, the Flash uncovers two competing mayoral candidates in a battle to win public support for their leadership in the public works project.

The Hawkman meets the Mighty Scorio. Scorio’s mystery religion is resurrected with malevolent intentions. The encounter foreshadows the Silver Age Hawkman #7 in “Attack of the Crocodile-Men!”

Entry #22

The following comparison shows the similarities between the Hawkman story from Flash Comics #14 with Hawkman #7 that was published over 24 years later.

photo flash10075a_zps7afd83c2.jpg

photo flash10073_zpsd53978b7.jpg

photo flash10076a_zpsce60752f.jpg

photo flash10075_zps1d0ab596.jpg

photo flash10077_zps2c46ab2c.jpg

photo flash10078_zps79687666.jpg

photo flash10071_zps7b486959.jpg

photo flash10072_zpse5665947.jpg

photo flash10073_zpsd771fe3a.jpg

New Orleans Carnival Week, February 22, 1941

German Newsreel from February 12, 1941

Partial translation of the scenes.

Solemn burial of the Hungarian Foreign Minister Count Czaky in Budapest. Receipt of the outgoing Japanese ambassador Kurosu by the guide. Reichsjugendfuehrer Arthur Axmann take you to a visit of several days in Norway, wreath on the German military cemetery in Oslo. Winter Sports in Oslo. Winter Aid concert in Lucerne Hall in Prague, conducted by Herms Niel. The district of Silesia is divided into the two provinces of Lower and Upper Silesia, Karl Hanke as new Gauleiter of Lower Silesia, the appointment of Fritz Bracht Gauleiter of Upper Silesia. Presentation of certificates of appointment and talk of Reich Minister Rudolf Hess. Request concert donations will be distributed to mothers in the kingdom. Kapitaenleutnant Schepke and his crew are invited to Ruhpolding in Gau Munich-Upper Bavaria. Kapitaenleutnant Schepke speaks in the Berlin Sports Palace on German youth about his experiences as a submarine commander.

Entry #23

March 1941

photo flash015.jpg

The Circus is used yet again as the vehicle for this superhero yarn. The Flash clowns around with the bad guys.

This is the last we see of the King vs. the Witch match up for a while.

The Hawkman meets the Hand. A supernatural spirit conjured up by a jealous brother. Early stories such as this would add to the pathos of the Hawkman’s darker nature.

The countryside cover of #14 is very fascinating. It looks also pretty european to me.

And Moldoff's art is fantastic – I wasn’t familiar with it as with my little golden age purchases I haven’t ventured in Timely and DC territory – too expensive!