• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Physicists at Cern are using a special magnetic flask at the European particle physics centre to produce and store atoms of antihydrogen, or antimatter.

The Cern team plan to slowly turn off the magnetic field and see if the atoms fall up or down. If they go up, instead of down with gravity, they will have found new gravitational properties of antimatter and the entire theory of physics could be transformed.

Theories suggest that antimatter can create an anti-gravitational field that repels anything around it, which could be used to propel aircraft without using hardly any fuel or in the type of space travel featured in Star Trek that allows ships to travel between the stars.

[+]

Physicists at Cern are using a special magnetic flask at the European particle physics centre to produce and store atoms of antihydrogen, or antimatter.

The Cern team plan to slowly turn off the magnetic field and see if the atoms fall up or down. If they go up, instead of down with gravity, they will have found new gravitational properties of antimatter and the entire theory of physics could be transformed.

Theories suggest that antimatter can create an anti-gravitational field that repels anything around it, which could be used to propel aircraft without using hardly any fuel or in the type of space travel featured in Star Trek that allows ships to travel between the stars.

[+]

Warp core breach coming up! :eek:

Way too many shows start with "The"

The Jeffro™'s wont be airing soon then?

How about Le Jeffro™'s avec Fromage et Chien Chauds?

A Jeffro reality show based on my CGC forum posting could be interesting.

A sketch show with surreal and random humour called 'The Porcupines'.

That's Porcupines, not Monty Porcupine.

A sketch show with surreal and random humour called 'The Porcupines'.

That's Porcupines, not Monty Porcupine.

And the theme song is my favorite Genesis song with a porcupine reference.

As I cuddled the porcupine

He said I had none to blame, but me.

Held my heart, deep in hair,

Time to shave, shave it off, it off.

No time for romantic escape,

When your fluffy heart is ready for rape. No!

Off we go...

tysGPzI.jpg

It makes sense that the container is made from steel, so that you can create a magnetic field inside it. The expiry date on the can would be interesting, most likely related to when that field breaks down, something along the lines of 'Use before the stated date or you and anything within 50 miles will either be annihilated or exposed to a lethal dose of gamma radiation'. It really does sell itself.

Also, the product could be marketed as Qward brand, best quality antimatter. The current packaging looks a bit too industrial for my taste.

tysGPzI.jpg

It makes sense that the container is made from steel, so that you can create a magnetic field inside it. The expiry date on the can would be interesting, most likely related to when that field breaks down, something along the lines of 'Use before the stated date or you and anything within 50 miles will either be annihilated or exposed to a lethal dose of gamma radiation'. It really does sell itself.

Also, the product could be marketed as Qward brand, best quality antimatter. The current packaging looks a bit too industrial for my taste.

Interestingly, one teaspoon of antimatter interacting with one teaspoon of matter would have an explosive force equivalent to around 20 hydrogen bombs.*

*Another Ditch Fun Fact

tysGPzI.jpg

Interestingly, one teaspoon of antimatter interacting with one teaspoon of matter would have an explosive force equivalent to around 20 hydrogen bombs.*

*Another Ditch Fun Fact

Looks like I grossly underestimated the yield and blast radius. I'm no expert.

As we've found this week with bacon, yet another product here which should be used with caution.