• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC comics vertical or horizontal

20 posts in this topic

Does it make any differnce if you store your CGC comics laying down (say for example you only own 1 or 2 and its alot easier to lay them flat in your dresser drawer) or is it better to have them standing up. GK

This is a tough call......may be worth posing the question to CGC themselves in the ask CGC forum.

Someone on these boards (Notch_Top I think??) did say that storing the books vertically could/had caused some damage to books by forcing the bottom corners down into the hard outer case. This may happen when the book is either missing its inner well, or the inner well is loose in the case (no wedges used).

So on that basis, I would tend to think that storing them horizontally is the safest option.

Not in a huge stack though, if they should topple over, all hell will break loose. shocked.gifgrin.gif

If you stack them pretty high against a solid floor, the bottom couple could be pressured into small cracks and such. I'd buy a box if I were you, but then again I haven't bought a box b/c I don't want to pay the shipping charges to get it here :\

Brian

I sure did say that....thanks for listening Blowout laugh.gif

The CGC case and interior well is about as imperfect a holder as I can imagine.

I have numerous high grade books in my collection that have damage caused from the book sliding into the irregular shape of the interior well.

I DO NOT understand why CGC does not use their wedges with every book that is encapsulated, rather than those the deem not fitting well in the holder.

I have many examples scanned of this "flaw" and the damage caused by it. Mostly occuring during shipment

Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

30CGC94.jpg

Book was a 9.4 and I guess still is according to the label, but that is a pretty heavy impression on the top edge. It is pretty apparent where it came from...

Anyone else with similar issues? frown.gif

I have a few cases of this as well..it's not just an isolated incident..something should really be done..books are going from whatever the grade on the label is to a lower grade after it's moved somewhat in the holder.

Brian

The solution is pretty simple..CGC needs to implement their wedge system on every book.

Is this something that I can PAY extra for???? Cause I will.. crazy.gif

This is an example of a secure book with a bottom "wedge" holding it in place.

A vertical wedge can be used in conjuction with it as well for added stablility.

AF15B2.jpg

M

I only have that on one of my books, ASM 102..it does hold it much much better. I was worried after the first CGC book I bought slid all over the place..figured there was no way it would be safe like that...long story short, it wasn't.

Brian

I have one that's really bad..it got knocked on the lower part of the right corner and the side of it..so it makes the corner look really "pointy". It doesn't show up well on scans, but I'll see if I can get it to..

Brian

Has anyone posted in the "Ask CGC" forum about this yet. I posted a question in there a while back but they didn't answer the question. I was suprised though when I got a p.m. from Steve Borock with an answer to it. I guess it didn't have enough "mass" appeal for the forum......but it was nice of him to answer my question anyway. smile.gif

Yes I collect Gold Key comics. It's unreal how hard some of these are to find in high grade. Everyone was too busy collecting super hero comics and not many bothered to collect high grades of GK when they were made. But thats what has drawn me towards collecting these. Alot more challenging to find nice copies.

I was looking at two CGC comics I have. One has no wedge but it is nice and snug and centered in the holder. I try to shake it and make it move but it won't. The other comic has a wedge but the comic slides all over the place! So I guess as long as the comic is snug and doesn't move around then its ok.

ps I have yet to see a NM Gold Key Scooby Doo.

The one with the wedge is on the left side. And the comic still moves all over the place. A wedge on the side and bottom of each comic should be mandatory. GK