• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official What Did you Win at Heritage thread!

173 posts in this topic

I was dissapointed in being the under bidder for the 7.0, but investment wise, I don't see a downside to even low grade 30's westerns with giant ice cream cone covers. :acclaim:

LoneRangerComics1.jpg

Congrats, Good pickup.

I`m taken a guess, but I think Lone Ranger will beat Man of Steel at the box office next year. So I see this Lone Ranger as a great sleeper pick up. (thumbs u

The Lone Ranger will ride again! :cloud9:

That Lone Ranger Ice Cream is an interesting book to me. For 20 years I had the just the front and back cover to it sitting in a mylar in my collection, hoping to find a coverless copy to match it to. I gave up and decided to put it on Ebay back in March and was pleasantly surprised when it sold for $103.

That Lone Ranger Ice Cream is an interesting book to me. For 20 years I had the just the front and back cover to it sitting in a mylar in my collection, hoping to find a coverless copy to match it to. I gave up and decided to put it on Ebay back in March and was pleasantly surprised when it sold for $103.

Too bad you couldn't find a coverless copy. I would have been afraid of one showing up as soon as I sold the cover. Good price though.

He probably chose "both" :kidaround:

I might have to crack this one to find out if Dave picks Sally or Carmen...

saddleromances9.jpg

I think collectors are smart enough to see the pattern and get offended by the multiple resales. It puts enough air of 'scam' into the process that people back away. It is a shame that it is the BW books there are involved since there were plenty of nice collectible copies in the pedigree. I think the biggest question is whether the pedigree will be forever tainted by this and values for all the books will be diminished, or if the books will find decent homes long enough for the stink to pass.

I wish that was the case. In the last Heritage Auction two Barks books that used to be mine sold only to reappear in this auction simply cracked and resubmitted. I do not believe either could have been pressed.

The FC 9 (first Barks Donald Duck) went from being an 8.5 to a 9.0 (and I thought it was a marginal 8.5 to begin with) and sold in the July auction for $7,767.50 where now appearing as 9.0 it went for $9,560 in this auction. I think this is a really weak 9 (the chip out of the upper spine corner alone should have prevented it).

The FC 386 (Uncle Scrooge 1) went from 8.0 to 8.5 (although I thought it was the nicest looking 8.0 in my collection) and it went from $1,015.70 to $1,505 although in fairness I thought the original sale price was very low for such a nice copy of the book.

This was one of a number of reasons I sold off my 450 slabs this year. I just got so sick of CPR and CR and the constant changing of grades on each book (and I was a guy who bought the book not the label but it was still frustrating). I really started to doubt the integrity of some CGC grades.

I think the pressing game falls apart the fastest with Pedigree copies since they are so easily tracked. GPA and the Heritage archives provide proof even a novice can readily see.

Pressing and resubbing non-pedigree copies is much harder for people to track down so the difficulty of detection is not in favor of folks figuring out what they are buying.

I've seen this growing trend of pedigrees being pressed only to suffer losses on resale and it seems to have become very pronounced in the last year.

I've made the same observation as david20009 for higher value Disney comics. There has been an increasing number of pressed Barks Four Colors, for example, that have been resold a few months after being upgraded: exactly the same pattern as for the Billy Wright resubs. What I am most concerned about is not really the pressing itself but the volatility it brings to the market. And it's not just Disney comics or file copies: anyone who follows the census changes at cgcdata.com will have seen that. The much more serious problem is that the flippers are pushing prices upwards in the short term and then suddenly bail out when the bubble bursts as 9.4s start selling for less than 9.0s used to. In the most recent auctions, prices for Disney books have been plummeting to the same level they reached at the height of the financial crisis when Geppi and others sold off large amounts of books on short notice. Personally, I have never had the goal to make money on my comics collection and, from a purely selfish angle, I am just happy the books are getting cheaper. But it is a disaster for the long term stability of the market when prices are starting to resemble the curve for time shares in Miami. I really hope comics won't end up on the same historical shelf as baseball cards, stamps, and tulip bulbs, but the pressing and flipping certainly isn't helping.

Well said, tb.