• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

I'm relating the two because if CGC were "doing all that they could" to address turnaround times, they would have done that first before aquiring CI.

This won't help turnaround times will it?

CGC did not acquire CI.

Their parent company, CCG, did.

I don't believe you ever answered my question, but perhaps you never saw it, so I'll ask it again.

Your name shows you signed up here in 2002, but you never posted until the thread about the cost of grading notes in 2012, why?

(shrug) What did you want my first post be about?

Worldwide I'd bet that 75% or better of comic collectors aren't interested in graded books at all. [/quote

I continue to be surprised at the low percentage of graded books at most smallish to mid-sized shows. The thousands of slabs that are for sale on ebay any given week always give me the impression that the market for slabs is far larger. But I still routinely hear dealers explaining to prospective buyers terms like CGC, slabbing, resto checks, etc.

So yeah, there is a big percentage of the hobby that has never got on the carousel.

You have to figure it's the same with pressing. I'd venture to say that the majority of buyers out there that don't slab books probably aren't even aware of the practice.

I'm relating the two because if CGC were "doing all that they could" to address turnaround times, they would have done that first before aquiring CI.

CGC did not acquire CI.

I don't believe you ever answered my question, but perhaps you never saw it, so I'll ask it again.

Your name shows you signed up here in 2002, but you never posted until the thread about the cost of grading notes in 2012, why?

well how about anything inside the decade from when you signed up until you posted first would probably have worked

That being said, you need not compare me to people who have vast amounts of knowledge in one field of other. I succeeded in the antiques and collectibles business because I have a vast knowledge of multitude fields of interest. I do not argue that a lot of cross-collectors and dealers here have a similar amount of knowledge. While you may not agree with how I may seem to come across; my only interest is sharing and learning from that knowledge. My original signature post was 'here to learn.' I only hope other individuals also learn from me as well.

I believe we have a new drinking game!

That being said, you need not compare me to people who have vast amounts of knowledge in one field of other. I succeeded in the antiques and collectibles business because I have a vast knowledge of multitude fields of interest. I do not argue that a lot of cross-collectors and dealers here have a similar amount of knowledge. While you may not agree with how I may seem to come across; my only interest is sharing and learning from that knowledge. My original signature post was 'here to learn.' I only hope other individuals also learn from me as well.

Oh, we are back 'on me.' Does this mean I have to buy the first round? I don't drink...but I love a good old fashioned Coca-Cola Classic.

You're not a Pepsi fan by chance are you?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

CGC did not acquire CI.

I'll rephrase, why did you wait 10 years to post? What inspired you to make your first post during the change in grading notes thread?

Do you work for CGC or one of their affiliates?

I don't think anyone would have enough alchohol to make it through just one thread ! lol

CGC did not acquire CI.

I'll rephrase, why did you wait 10 years to post? What inspired you to make your first post during the change in grading notes thread?

Do you work for CGC or one of their affiliates?

hm

Worldwide I'd bet that 75% or better of comic collectors aren't interested in graded books at all. [/quote

I continue to be surprised at the low percentage of graded books at most smallish to mid-sized shows. The thousands of slabs that are for sale on ebay any given week always give me the impression that the market for slabs is far larger. But I still routinely hear dealers explaining to prospective buyers terms like CGC, slabbing, resto checks, etc.

So yeah, there is a big percentage of the hobby that has never got on the carousel.

I need to go to the shows you go to.

Granted, it's been quite awhile since I've been to a local show. But my experience is that slabs at local shows are few and far between. Even at the bigger shows, there aren't as many as I'd like to see.

If Dale didn't go to Heroes (a show that most people will acknowledge is a great show), there'd be less than 100 slabs. (Apart from the year both Bob and rich Evans set up).

If Dale and Bob and Ted didn't go to B'more, you'd only have Al and Harley with slabs.

And these are BIG shows. We're myopic here on the boards. Slabs are a very minute segment of the hobby in general.

It's Sunday. Why is this thread not at one hundred pages yet?

(shrug)

'Cuz it's boring.

Oh my heavens are you right. (thumbs u

For me it's only been boring in a few places where individuals should have PM'd their insults to one another and spared the rest of us. And considering 60+ pages, even that hasn't happened often.

Otherwise, I found the discussion interesting and informative. My opinion in reading all posted up here has even shifted some.

If one accepts as the truth that the graders and restoration checkers do not know whose books they are looking at - including if they came from the "pressing division", then the inherent conflict of interest is not an issue. If we don't accept that as the truth, we should be just as concerned about Heritage selling CGC graded comics.

There is at a minimum a hint of impropriety. One could argue that it would be best to avoid such. But it wouldn't be good business for CGC from a $$$ standpoint. Because if you are inclined to get your books cleaned and pressed before sending them to CGC, this service should be convenient. I suppose we'll find out in time the pricing structure. I'm inclined to think this move will bring with it more overhead. If it does - and since submitters could save some money on postage - they may well try to bump the prices up some.

A good portion of this thread just rehashes the pressing Vs not pressing debate. Which has been discussed countless times before. At some point one just has to accept your opinion is on the losing side. I don't think the Silver Age starts with Showcase 4. Occaionally it makes an interesting discussion. But I lost that debate long ago.

Ultimately, I wish CGC hadn't brought pressing services in house, but after reading all that has been discussed it doesn't seem the "big deal" it seemed at first.

NOTE TO BOARDIES: With very few exceptions, if your post is more than 4 lines long, it will go unread.

Here is a thought,and not a statement.

Does anybody see this as a last gasp hail mary by CGC?

They got competition with digital comics exploding in sales on one side,and then they got the big players now moving into OA.

It seems getting that CGC 9.6 pressed into CGC 9.8 doesn`t seem that special anymore.

Look at all the interest this has created on the board.

CGC will slab more books this year than they ever have. Business is in no way down.

No Hail Mary needed.

You have to admit a 1966 and up cgc 9.8 really isn`t that hard or expensive to get anymore.

An example.

Somebody(dealer) does all that work(pressing and slabbing),but someone(collector) can just go on Ebay or another site, and get that 9.8 cheaper than they would pay the dealer or presser themselves.

The point I am trying to make there really isn`t that much a money incentive now to even want your 9.6 pressed up to 9.8. 3 to 5 years ago pressing and resubs was bank. It is not so anymore for most comics.

Those days are past,and it looks like the big players are moving into OA.

Just my opinion.

A) none of this has anything to do with CGC and a 'Hail Mary' business move. Business is booming for them.

B) CGC could care less what you sell your finished slab for. They are in the business of slabbing books. What anyone does with it after that isn't their concern.

C) Where you get the notion that books from 1966 on up in 9.8 are 'not expensive', is beyond me.

D) Who are these big players you're talking about who've moved to OA? Could you name one or two of them?

Being active and knowledgeable in all aspects in the antiques and collectibles fields

it is my exposure to the full view of the antiques and collectibles market that allows me to have this view.

Mint … I find some of the views in your posts interesting however you tend to make these comments in nearly every post you make. I’m a noob here on the forums and in the little time I’ve spent here it’s been well established by you that you collect other things (and allegedly very knowledgeable) other than comics … so do I and probably many others but do you feel it necessary to state this repetitively ?

Maybe just put these comments in your sig if it’s that relevant to every topic you post about (shrug)

I’m not trying to be disparaging at all … just pointing out something you may be overlooking when you post.

I appreciate your comment. You are aware I already take a lot of criticism for what is already stated in my signature line now? Ironically, I never once attempted to post a link to the stated article in my signature line (I don't even know if that is allowed, per forum rules; regardless). I also do not think that my signature line is that controversial at present time; or ever was.

You bring up a great point. However, even now when I am involved in numerous discussion fellow borad members ask if they are supposed to know what I have posted about in other 'threads.' I will agree that one cannot know or possibly remember everything about what a certain member has posted about. That being said, there are underlying principles that every member here does express or 'stand for' regularly. These are generally known because they become a constant 'theme' throughtout certain individual's posts.

Again, and we seem to be visiting this topic a lot in a thread that is NOT about me; I do not mean to offend anyone in any post I make. Ironically, I really wish that the people who criticize my posts would take the time to criticize the few forum members who choose to resort to foul language and name calling when discussing any matter of interest with me that they disagree with. It is during these times that most of these members remain the most silent of all. I find this greatly disturbing (not to mention quite ironic).

In conclusion, my only discord has been that some individuals fail to see that when you look at some of these issues via the perspective of the WHOLE antiques and collecibles market; you will understand that number one, other collecting fields have and are dealing with MUCH worse issues at present time. Number two, 'pressing' is NOT as severe as what is being done in areas of great interest like the rare book collecting field, the art collecting field, and the overall auction circuit. Finally, as shown by the respectful business relationship of NCS and NGC; this has already been done and implemented quite nicely (in the coin collecting field); by the parent company of CGC; The Certified Collectibles Group.

Therefore, and forgive me if I offend, I fail to see the issue here. I think a 'wait and see' attitude is a much better prognosis then a 'dump and sell' attitude that certain individuals may adopt. This is especially true given the fact that numerous individuals have attempted to argue with me over the years that comic books are an 'excellent investment.'

Again, just my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Are the black parts words?

Being active and knowledgeable in all aspects in the antiques and collectibles fields

it is my exposure to the full view of the antiques and collectibles market that allows me to have this view.

Mint … I find some of the views in your posts interesting however you tend to make these comments in nearly every post you make. I’m a noob here on the forums and in the little time I’ve spent here it’s been well established by you that you collect other things (and allegedly very knowledgeable) other than comics … so do I and probably many others but do you feel it necessary to state this repetitively ?

Maybe just put these comments in your sig if it’s that relevant to every topic you post about (shrug)

I’m not trying to be disparaging at all … just pointing out something you may be overlooking when you post.

I appreciate your comment. You are aware I already take a lot of criticism for what is already stated in my signature line now? Ironically, I never once attempted to post a link to the stated article in my signature line (I don't even know if that is allowed, per forum rules; regardless). I also do not think that my signature line is that controversial at present time; or ever was.

You bring up a great point. However, even now when I am involved in numerous discussion fellow borad members ask if they are supposed to know what I have posted about in other 'threads.' I will agree that one cannot know or possibly remember everything about what a certain member has posted about. That being said, there are underlying principles that every member here does express or 'stand for' regularly. These are generally known because they become a constant 'theme' throughtout certain individual's posts.

Again, and we seem to be visiting this topic a lot in a thread that is NOT about me; I do not mean to offend anyone in any post I make. Ironically, I really wish that the people who criticize my posts would take the time to criticize the few forum members who choose to resort to foul language and name calling when discussing any matter of interest with me that they disagree with. It is during these times that most of these members remain the most silent of all. I find this greatly disturbing (not to mention quite ironic).

In conclusion, my only discord has been that some individuals fail to see that when you look at some of these issues via the perspective of the WHOLE antiques and collecibles market; you will understand that number one, other collecting fields have and are dealing with MUCH worse issues at present time. Number two, 'pressing' is NOT as severe as what is being done in areas of great interest like the rare book collecting field, the art collecting field, and the overall auction circuit. Finally, as shown by the respectful business relationship of NCS and NGC; this has already been done and implemented quite nicely (in the coin collecting field); by the parent company of CGC; The Certified Collectibles Group.

Therefore, and forgive me if I offend, I fail to see the issue here. I think a 'wait and see' attitude is a much better prognosis then a 'dump and sell' attitude that certain individuals may adopt. This is especially true given the fact that numerous individuals have attempted to argue with me over the years that comic books are an 'excellent investment.'

Again, just my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

YES.

Edited to add: I have to quit hitting the 'quote' button.

You and your collective friends have submitted hundreds and thousands of books to CGC and apparently many of them have been pressed. According to you, many have been damaged. That's the real mess kicker, you are such a hypocrite, and constantly speak from both sides of your face. You claim all of these books have been damaged, you complain about CGC, yet you continue to utilize both services.

You're wrong on the facts, and so wrong on the personal attack.

The number of comics I've had pressed can be counted using my fingers. I know two were damaged by it, just like the White Mountain JIM 91 posted earlier. My submissions to CGC were from 2004-2008 but hardly at all since. The number of slabbed SA books in my collection has been steadily decreasing for the past four years and will continue to decline. I prefer owning unpressed comics, will pay less for pressed ones, and won't buy them at all if there are good alternatives. Seeing how little the JIM 91 went for at auction, it's clear others don't like their books with indented staples from being pressed either, no matter what the number on the label says. My stance has remained unchanged from the first pressing discussion in which I participated in 2004.

You're in denial if you think that all of the high grade Silver that's been pressed has made it through the process with spines, staples, and overhangs undamaged. That would be convenient for you, since you sell pressed comics professionally and, according to your disclosure, exclusively, but it wouldn't be correct. As for the magnitude of the problem, since it's an issue rarely if ever discussed on the Boards it seems worthy of public consideration and critical thought.

As for how friends who are comic dealers view pressing, that's their business and I don't know why that would reflect in any way on me.

I don't know how many books you have had pressed, but as has often been said, you can't get a little bit pregnant.

For matter of discussion, I have had far more books damaged by the grading process itself than I have ever had from pressing. If fact, I would say 99.9% of the books I ever sent to be pressed came back to me better than when I sent them. I can't say that about the grading process, so which is worse?

Are you going to quit getting comics GRADED as well because 1 in 300 (which would be a reasonably conservative estimate) gets damaged (either by improper handling or by the encapsulation process)?

Again, just my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

YES.

Whew! That one I can read... lol

Main take away; none of my posts are ever about being 'right or wrong.' It is always about the sharing of knowledge

lol Are you saying this with a straight face? You're the guy who disparaged comics as not even being in the realm of true collectibles, and then you wouldn't even post the list that comics didn't make. Do you have any self-awareness?

Worldwide I'd bet that 75% or better of comic collectors aren't interested in graded books at all.

Look at the cost of getting a Bronze Age or earlier graded - $25 give or take after discount, including sh/ins, etc. I suspect the vast majority of books at most shows are worth $50 or less, so slabbing these books doesn't make financial sense. As such, I imagine the vast majority of books in this hobby are not affected by CGC, slabbing, or pressing. Likewise, I suspect the vast majority of money made by dealers and investors in this hobby is affected by CGC, slabbing, pressing, and this wonderful (d)evolution in our hobby. Follow the $$!

Main take away; none of my posts are ever about being 'right or wrong.' It is always about the sharing of knowledge

lol Are you saying this with a straight face? You're the guy who disparaged comics as not even being in the realm of true collectibles, and then you wouldn't even post the list that comics didn't make. Do you have any self-awareness?

I said that comics are not 'true collectibles' yet I spend thousands on each one and have been collecting since 2008?

Really? I believe you are referring to a list I did post; albeit NOT in the same hour the forum requested it. If you would recall that thread and 'bump' it you will see that post is credited as being posted by me at a much earlier date.

Again, may I ask your point? This has always been my stance. It has not changed.