• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February Heritage Auctions (holy cow)!

107 posts in this topic

I don't understand how ASM 121 and ASM 122 would be art vs. Nostalgia? They are both are Nostalgic. Thy came out a month a part. The Norman Goblin did remain dead for almost 25 years. That legacy there is very nostalgic. Aside from bringing Norman back it's not like you can say they didn't with Gwen either with their horrible retcons of the past 15 years. Gwen and Norman affair? Plus not like Gwen Stacey wasn't brought back as a clone. Sure you can make that arguement that her death changed Spidey forever...but so did Uncle Ben's death. Granted he was only in one issue and not a reoccurring character when offed. Captain Stacey was also off.

Norman's death also had a long lasting effect on Spider-Man. His long time buddy Harry foubd out that Spider-Man was Parker and would go on to become the Green Goblin for nearly 2 decades. I find it very hard to believe that Norman's death was nostalgic for many of you old timers. Whether it be off the rack or reading the issue during your Hobgoblin or McSpidey days. I don't hear many of you guys mention much about the stories once we get to the second clone years...so how much stock do you really put into comics once Norman even came back? Perhaps the nostalgia factor just hasn't quite kicked in yet because we aren't at the 20 year mark...Yeah that's it. Maximum Clonage did gonna be hot in a few years.

I don't know if it holds tire still but I always remember ASM 122 being a higher price book than 121. I never even bothered to own a 121. For me any time you have a villain on a cover it's usually going to be a more dynamic cover.

I think ASM 121 is significant because the death of Gwen represents the loss of innocence for Marvel and their characters, taking on a decidedly darker tone (ie Wolverine, Punisher, more deaths, etc.) and as such, is more important than the death of a villain (been there, done that)

Coming from somebody who didn't pick the book up of the stands, but who grew up reading Spider-Man, I've just never been a fan of floating head covers. Interesting how in comics you have pieces reach high prices for completely different reasons:

Here you have a so-so cover from a very memorable storyline.

With Spider-Man 1, you have a cover that tells you nothing about the story (which wasn't particularly memorable) but by an artist that captured a moment on a storied book.

It is an amazing cover. I could definitely envision someone with deep pockets like Eric Roberts going for it given he has the 122 cover. Not sure if the Fish (of famed Metropolis Comics) will go for it as well. I can't see it hitting $500k but in the 100k to 150k for sure.

Also, this cover has been sitting in a CAF for a long time. Curious about whether the "Fresh to Market" variable will come into play as many claim it does.

"Fresh to market" won't matter at all for a piece of this stature. Especially not if new money gets involved. Whether the cover's been on CAF in the past is meaningless...it's new to them.

The "fresh to market" mentality exists, for sure. But just as important as a piece being seen for the first time, is if it's available for the first time. There are dozens of A pieces on CAF that, like ASM #121, would fetch as much as they would if they had never been seen because they are in perceived black hole collections and haven't bounced around.

The consignor of this piece went straight to Heritage when he decided it was time to sell. He didn't offer it around first. That's key. There is zero baggage with this cover. I wish him nothing but the best. He deserves it.

Also, this cover has been sitting in a CAF for a long time. Curious about whether the "Fresh to Market" variable will come into play as many claim it does.

"Fresh to market" won't matter at all for a piece of this stature. Especially not if new money gets involved. Whether the cover's been on CAF in the past is meaningless...it's new to them.

The "fresh to market" mentality exists, for sure. But just as important as a piece being seen for the first time, is if it's available for the first time. There are dozens of A pieces on CAF that, like ASM #121, would fetch as much as they would if they had never been seen because they are in perceived black hole collections and haven't bounced around.

The consignor of this piece went straight to Heritage when he decided it was time to sell. He didn't offer it around first. That's key. There is zero baggage with this cover. I wish him nothing but the best. He deserves it.

This is one of the most key pieces from our hobby to ever come to public sale or auction.

I agree that the "fresh to market" phenomenon that could hamper a lesser piece or impulse purchase will be a moot point here.

This might just be the equivalent of our "Mona Lisa". I don't care how much it's been seen or exhibited or enjoyed prior to the sale, nothing's going to stop bloody melee for the rights to own from ensuing it should it ever come up for sale.

This might just be the equivalent of our "Mona Lisa". I don't care how much it's been seen or exhibited or enjoyed prior to the sale, nothing's going to stop bloody melee for the rights to own from ensuing it should it ever come up for sale.

Its a great piece, but Mona Lisa? ???

I guess everyone has different grails but to me its just a landmark bronze ASM cover. No more, no less. I'd take almost any of the ditko covers over this.

To me, the hobby's mona lisa would be AF15 cover. Now maybe it doesn't exist anymore (?) but if the mona lisa were destroyed tomorrow, that wouldn't make a de koonig the mona lisa all of a sudden.

If a cover deserves to break records, this is it! (worship)

Jumbo image is already posted. (thumbs u

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7073&lotIdNo=26001

There appears to be a crease running across the artwork's centre, noticeable when you click on to the larger image. Looks like the art might have been folded in half at some point.

Probably won't deter anyone wanting the cover, but something that ought to be highlighted in the description.

I guess everyone has different grails but to me its just a landmark bronze ASM cover. No more, no less. I'd take any of the ditko covers over this.

I'm inclined to agree.

It's pretty cool, but the Ditko and early Romita 1960s cover images are of much greater interest to me.

Not that I doubt that this will perform exceptionally well . . .

+1. I knew if I waited long enough someone would say exactly what I think about this cover and its sale.

+1. I knew if I waited long enough someone would say exactly what I think about this cover and its sale.

I've never been a fan of the 'fresh to market' mentality.

Sure, it's a phenomenon that exists, and I know how it works (for some collectors) . . . but I've always been a fan of the art, first and foremost, not its history of availability.

I guess everyone has different grails but to me its just a landmark bronze ASM cover. No more, no less. I'd take almost any of the ditko covers over this.

To me, the hobby's mona lisa would be AF15 cover. Now maybe it doesn't exist anymore (?) but if the mona lisa were destroyed tomorrow, that wouldn't make a de koonig the mona lisa all of a sudden.

I may not use the term "Mona Lisa" to describe it but it is a really great cover. I remember as a kid (this came out several years before I started buying comics) having a friend who owned 121 and 122 and being green with envy. Even though Spiderman is shown from his back side, the proportion of Spiderman is perfect in my opinion. It is an awesome swinging pose. Also, I like the fact that it has images of all of Spiderman's inner circle of friends and associates in it. Whoever ends up with it will have a really iconic cover. I personally would take this over any of the MacFarlenes that have come to the market recently.

I used the name of a well known piece of art to evoke the point that it doesn't matter how many times you've seen a piece it can still have impact if it's important enough.

You can name 100 pieces by the old masters, including the Mona Lisa, that would hold equally high esteem amongst admirers. Everyone has a different perspective on what they admire.

I think you're nads are twisted too easily. lol

I may not use the term "Mona Lisa" to describe it but it is a really great cover. I remember as a kid (this came out several years before I started buying comics) having a friend who owned 121 and 122 and being green with envy. Even though Spiderman is shown from his back side, the proportion of Spiderman is perfect in my opinion. It is an awesome swinging pose. Also, I like the fact that it has images of all of Spiderman's inner circle of friends and associates in it. Whoever ends up with it will have a really iconic cover. I personally would take this over any of the MacFarlenes that have come to the market recently.

Holy CARP!!! Everyone missed my point at the same time. lol

I used a fine art painting that everyone knows, that everyone's seen, that no one can claim has been hidden away and thus could never be called "fresh" as a way of saying that "freshness" is not a concern for the right pieces, for the important pieces, for the pieces that transcend.

It was an analogy for pieces listed amongst the best of a genre or medium.

:facepalm:

I used the name of a well known piece of art to evoke the point that it doesn't matter how many times you've seen a piece it can still have impact if it's important enough.

You can name 100 pieces by the old masters, including the Mona Lisa, that would hold equally high esteem amongst admirers. Everyone has a different perspective on what they admire.

I think you're nads are twisted too easily. lol

Maybe its my nads but if several people miss your point then maybe your point wasn't clear enough :baiting:

;)

This is an A+ cover, and I can't think of another silver age/bronze age piece that has been auctioned in the last ten years that bests it in importance. It's got an emotional impact, its historical importance can't be overestimated, and aesthetically it's a show-stopper. Kurt Busiek says that ASM 121 ended the silver age. I bet a lot of creators look at this issue as one of the stories that caused them to think comics were resonant.

You can argue the aesthetics. But I happen to respond to this one, a lot.

Also, about 121 v. 122. I love both covers. They make a comment Jeffrey Jones made on the comicart-l back in the day. He said that illustration is immoral. To paraphrase his explanation: when an illustration appears, it makes overt the storyline the reader should be creating in his head. It robs of imagination. (Jeffrey was an illustrator, so it's a little tongue in cheek.) The 122 is overt and bold and there's nothing left to the imagination. The 121 is all about dread. It's one of those rare things in comic book history: a promise that's actually kept.

I don't think Top 100 lists or Top 10 lists make a lot of sense -- once you get to a certain level of excellence, there are pieces of art that are different, but not better. There are different covers than this one; I can just see some people arguing this is as good as it gets.