• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad deal? Ok deal? Good deal? or Great deal?

9 posts in this topic

I won an auction on Jan 02, and received the books yesterday. Here is a link to the auction that I won: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 298-323,325,328 McFarlane I won these books for approximately $2 each. Somebody emailed me shortly after I won, and offered me $100, but I turned them down. Anyway, the auction description says "All issues are in VF-NM condition and will be shipped bagged and boarded." I just finished grading them and the following is a list of grades I've assigned to each issue.

• ASM 298 Fine 6.0 I was very disappointed with this book
  • ASM 299 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 300 at least VF/NM 9.0 It only has 1 flaw. Looking at the back of the book (a black back cover of course) there is a 1/8 (small & minor) bend (no color breaking) at the lower left corner. That is it! If it were not for that, I would give this book a 9.4. (that's the highest grade I'll assign a book).
  • ASM 301 NM 9.2
  • ASM 302 VF- 7.5
  • ASM 303 F/VF 7.0
  • ASM 304 NM 9.4
  • ASM 305 NM 9.4
  • ASM 306 VF- 7.5
  • ASM 307 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 308 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 309 F/VF 7.0
  • ASM 310 F/VF 7.0
  • ASM 311 VF+ 8.5
  • ASM 312 Fine 6.5 Another BIG dissappointment
  • ASM 313 Fine 6.5 ditto
  • ASM 314 NM 9.4
  • ASM 315 VF+ 8.5
  • ASM 316 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 317 NM 9.2
  • ASM 318 VF 8.0
  • ASM 319 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 320 VF 8.0
  • ASM 321 NM 9.4
  • ASM 322 F/VF 7.0
  • ASM 323 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 325 VF/NM 9.0
  • ASM 328 F/VF 7.0

The RED books are less than Very Fine. The BOLD FACE books are the most important. Several books were overgraded, and that's why I'm asking for opinions. So what do you think? Did I do OK?

My guess is that if you tried buying these books at a comic shop, you probably would have paid guide.

It has been several years since I last visited a comic shop. I wouldn't have paid guide, I would have walked out without the books. Looking at my eBay purchase from a comic shop point of view is irrelevant. What is relevant is the described grade of the books in the auction, and the actual grade(s) of the books.

You're right. I would not have paid guide for them either. I do believe there are collectors out there that would have though. That's the only point I was trying to make. However, because it's irrelevant, what's important is the condition of the books relative to their description in the auction, as you said. Guide value on what you thought your were buying is in around $217.00. Guide value on what you got is around $145.00. Still more than you paid, but you thought you were getting $217.00 worth of books. I don't think you over-paid based on guide, but you might feel you over-paid based on the condition of the comics you got. My opinion? An ok deal regardless. Also, it's ebay. It will happen again.

I think you did fine - roughly $2 a book for these is an acceptable price. You could always flip some and be done with it - sell the lower grade books in a lot or something like that.

If the ASM 300 is truly at least a 9.0, that's a fine deal! I sold my ASM 300 in 9.0 for $75 with free listing day. I know I got lucky, but ASM 300 is a big money book for the modern age.

I hate to get overgraded books too, but now everytime I buy anything on ebay unless it is from a known dealer or a seller that I have don business with before, I assume that everything will come back a 7.0. Just bid accordingly in the future . . .

DAM

MOS,

Everything depends on what you plan on doing with those issues. Overall you did excellent, and I wonder why the lot didnt get a higher bid in the end.

If you plan on:

Getting the comics graded - Not so good

Reselling - Excellent (in terms of % and not overall $)

Personal Collection - A Wash

At least the 300 is nice. I sell a relative many of them at any grade, as well as 301, and the issues in the 311-319 range. Everything else is a tad bit overrated.

As far the grading, I always expect (and set my expectations of) the comics to at least a little over graded. If they are on the mark or even better, than thats a plus.

You still did very well on the lot as a whole,

Eric