• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marks around staples - any help or advice please???

5 posts in this topic

I've a lot of blank or predominantly blank, sketch covers in my collection (Usually to my shame).

I've had a lot arrive with "Dirt" marks near to the staple. I've always assumed that this is where books have been stacked during the production or shipping process and pressure from the book on top has caused a colour rub onto the lower book. The staple area providing enough foundation to ensure that pressure is not dissippated thus colour is transfered between books.

I've immediatly assumed that these marks are defects and graded down to 9.4 at best.

In a recent discussion with another collector, he stated he did not class these marks as defects.

I'm keen to get this sorted as they have always been a personal bug-bear and if I have been automatically undergrading my blanks and sketch covers, all of a sudden I've got a lot more 9.6's and 9.8's than I thought.

As this arrived today, it saved me the effort of longbox diving. There are 2 instances of this colour rub / dirt / whatever it s by the top staple.

Am I on the right track with my assumption and how does it actually affect grade?

Any and all advice is, as always gratefully received.

NXM_001_1in150a.jpg

The area around the staples is slightly raised compared to the rest of the spine. When the books are shipped they are stacked one on top of the other. If the back cover is a dark ink some transfer happens. It is usually light and CGC does not ding it.