• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for WD fans/collectors - Christmas gift recommendation needed!

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Wondering if those of you who both watch The Walking Dead on AMC and also collect the books can help me out.

My wife and I have both followed the TV series (and loved it) since the start, and for Christmas I'd like to get for her (and indirectly, myself lol ) a nice collection of reprints of the books, either in TP format or other, to approximate where we'll be in the AMC series in real-time. In other words, I don't want to get too far ahead of the TV series at risk of reading spoilers, even though I understand the TV series has varied widely off the books in terms of flow and to a degree, plot.

So my questions are twofold:

1) Where are we in terms of story continuity in the books vis-à-vIs the TV series? Without wanting to spoil where things are going, I saw that just based on notes in Overstreet that (spoiler alert!!!) Michonne debuts in issue No. 19, yet Lori dies in issue No. 48, despite the two incidents happening within about six episodes of one another on TV.

2) Based on where we are in the TV series and how that equates to the book continuity, what specific collection of reprints/TB would you recommend I look for? Ideally, I'd go for something with alternate sketches, cover art, any insight or commentary from Kirkman or Adlard, etc. I made a very preliminary search on Amazon and the options seem fairly vast (hardcover vs. softcover, more vs. fewer issues reprinted per collection, etc.), and even there, I don't know that Amazon would necessarily have a special collection that might have been available only through LCS, etc.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hi everyone,

Wondering if those of you who both watch The Walking Dead on AMC and also collect the books can help me out.

My wife and I have both followed the TV series (and loved it) since the start, and for Christmas I'd like to get for her (and indirectly, myself lol ) a nice collection of reprints of the books, either in TP format or other, to approximate where we'll be in the AMC series in real-time. In other words, I don't want to get too far ahead of the TV series at risk of reading spoilers, even though I understand the TV series has varied widely off the books in terms of flow and to a degree, plot.

So my questions are twofold:

1) Where are we in terms of story continuity in the books vis-à-vIs the TV series? Without wanting to spoil where things are going, I saw that just based on notes in Overstreet that (spoiler alert!!!) Michonne debuts in issue No. 19, yet Lori dies in issue No. 48, despite the two incidents happening within about six episodes of one another on TV.

2) Based on where we are in the TV series and how that equates to the book continuity, what specific collection of reprints/TB would you recommend I look for? Ideally, I'd go for something with alternate sketches, cover art, any insight or commentary from Kirkman or Adlard, etc. I made a very preliminary search on Amazon and the options seem fairly vast (hardcover vs. softcover, more vs. fewer issues reprinted per collection, etc.), and even there, I don't know that Amazon would necessarily have a special collection that might have been available only through LCS, etc.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

(1) It is really kind of hard to say. Technically they are mashing up from 10-11 through the mid thirties, with as you noted some of the 40s thrown in as well. The main part of the Woodbury story (26-33) looks like it will be almost an entire season. Things played out at the prison a lot differently than in the TV show, the way Woodbury was discovered is different, and the time frame is different.

(2) As such this is a really difficult question to answer, but from a spoiler standpoint, you are safe really only through volume 4, because of how much Woodbury is yet to be revealed.

Thanks - so like you said, from what I can tell on Amazon, each HC "Book" comprises 12 issues and costs around $20.., thus you're recommending Books 1-4 (first 48 issues), right?

No sir. I am going off the softcovers, which takes you through to 24 or 25. You guys shouldn't read the Woodbury stuff. too many spoilers. Plus 48 has a ton more deaths and a lot of stuff in between.

I say read one to fifty (compendium 1). This should cover everything plus Tyrese which will soon appear in the TV show.

That will reveal everything that is going happen vis a vis Woodbury for the next year of the show. www.Bad_Advice.com

I say read one to fifty (compendium 1). This should cover everything plus Tyrese which will soon appear in the TV show.

That will reveal everything that is going happen vis a vis Woodbury for the next year of the show. www.Bad_Advice.com

From my own personal experience I'm glad I read the books first. The parallels drawn in the TV show are becoming more detached as the show goes on which makes it better as it's like enjoying the whole thing all over again. The unknown factor is back and the characters seem fresh again, and it's good to have reference points when things happen in the show as I've had to explain a few things to my wife when we've been watching it.

Not recommending anybody do it that way if they don't want to, but I've certainly found it a plus.