• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CVA experience

35 posts in this topic

Some of these books with their mis-wrapping and poor centering look horrible. However are still assigned the 9.8 grade

:eyeroll:

:makepoint:

:facepalm:

meh

Mis-wraps and Mis-cuts abound....

CVA should be able to give their sticker to books that don't have things like this (both mis-wrap and mis-cut):

CVAASM161back.jpg

or this mis-wrap

CVAASM175back.jpg

Here's a front cover image of the 161...it will allow us to have a discussion of the relative value of the CVA sticker, since the OP brought it up I am sure he won't mind us showing the book.

We have some real examples of their "work" to examine. An analysis could be of value to the hobby.

ASM 161...CVA EXCEPTIONAL.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

THIS IS ACTUALLY A PICTURE OF WHAT A BOOK LOOKS LIKE. LOOK AT MY ASM COMPLETE SET. BOOKS #161, #172 AND #175 HAVE THE STICKER.

OK, WILL DO! LOVES ME SOME ASM

WHAT!?!?!

ARE YOU NOT HEARING MEEEEE!!!

THIS IS ACTUALLY A PICTURE OF WHAT A BOOK LOOKS LIKE. LOOK AT MY ASM COMPLETE SET. BOOKS #161, #172 AND #175 HAVE THE STICKER.

OK, WILL DO! LOVES ME SOME ASM

WHAT!?!?!

ARE YOU NOT HEARING MEEEEE!!!

Some of these books with their mis-wrapping and poor centering look horrible. However are still assigned the 9.8 grade

:eyeroll:

:makepoint:

:facepalm:

meh

Mis-wraps and Mis-cuts abound....

CVA should be able to give their sticker to books that don't have things like this (both mis-wrap and mis-cut):

or this mis-wrap

blur.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]

WHAT THE HECK AM I LOOKING AT ?!?!?1[/font]

Here's a front cover image of the 161...it will allow us to have a discussion of the relative value of the CVA sticker, since the OP brought it up I am sure he won't mind us showing the book.

We have some real examples of their "work" to examine. An analysis could be of value to the hobby.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

There's a scratch on the case! Looks like it's not gonna get a Dr Balls Sticker of Awesomeness....

but really... the wrap cuts off at spidey's calf.

Here'a a lowergrade copy, but seems to have perfect centering:

Hdqzt.jpg

And Im seeing other ones that are better centered that only cut off at the tip of his foot.... so its not even nearly perfect...

I dont understand how they can determine which books are the "best examples" if they dont have high grade scans of every book thats been slabbed. At best they can do a search thru the census and see what others have uploaded, but thats just a percentage of a pretty small sample in the first place.

I dont understand how they can determine which books are the "best examples"

They can't. Also, I personally don't think they Verify anything, and what are they an Authority on? And who recognised them as an authority apart from themselves?

My understanding of CVA's mission is that they certify books with strong eye appeal for the grade. Not that they claim that their stickers go on the best examples that exist in the world, but only that the example is of exceptional quality for that particular grade level. Maybe I have misunderstood what they are claiming. Again, not trying to be an apologist for them or push their service.

But yes, the miswraps and miscuts are a problem. While I understand that CGC doesn't downgrade for them because they are looking at a book's structure (which should include miswraps, IMHO), they do harm eye appeal for a large segment of collectors. However, miswraps are also easily visible from scans whereas other defects that can impact eye appeal are often more difficult to discern in scans.

As for the staple rust, both of my recent purchases that I was suprised to find rusted had "white pages" on the label so it isn't something that would even have been on my radar to think about. I'll know differently going forward.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

Honestly the first thing I noticed is that they weren't even able to apply their $12 sticker straight.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

Honestly the first thing I noticed is that they weren't even able to apply their $12 sticker straight.

lol

Maybe that's why they missed the mis-wrap and the (pretty easy to spot) mis-cut of the entire book down the right side.

If they thought the sticker was straight perhaps they thought the same of the wrap and cut of this book.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

I strongly prefer the front to back miswrap to the back to front. But I would have thought that nearly perfect wrap and cut would be the criteria for a book from '76-'77.

lol

Maybe that's why they missed the mis-wrap and the (pretty easy to spot) mis-cut of the entire book down the right side.

If they thought the sticker was straight perhaps they thought the same of the wrap and cut of this book.

CVAASM161.jpg

Thoughts??

lol

I strongly prefer the front to back miswrap to the back to front. But I would have thought that nearly perfect wrap and cut would be the criteria for a book from '76-'77.

As would I. The books are not at all rare. The bar would be expected to be MUCH higher on these.