• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newsstand Disney books vs direct market ones

1 post in this topic

Hi, I wished to ask a question about the print run of newsstand modern comics and direct market ones.

I know in the beginning the direct market ones (without the UPC) had a lower print run, and then the ratio somewhat reversed as comic shop became an established thing in the US, and newsstands started to keep less and less comic titles.

I was sorting out some mid-1990s Disney books (from the second Gladstone run) and I have noticed some new books I acquired have the UPC, so they must be newsstand editions.

I never saw one before, since all the ones I bought back then (from import sources, as I am italian) had a small Disney character in the UPC box, and they were all direct market.

I understand it’s not a value issue, I was just curious to hear if someone could guess estimate the print run of certain titles, like the Disney books which I guess had less print run than average Marvel or DC titles, in their newsstand version as opposed to the direct market one.

If I recall correctly, the Disney books from the early 1990s tenure (by Disney itself) were distributed at newsstands by Marvel, don’t know if it was the case with the second Gladstone tenure of the titles.

Many thanks in advance to all those who could be of help! (thumbs u