• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2012!

298 posts in this topic

Yeah, the MS 32 was a crack, press, resub from a slab from some other company, and the WD was from a lot I bought earlier in the year (thumbs u

Edit: Joeypost gets credit for the great pressing job

2012 was a banner year that saw the acquisition of THREE long-sought grails! 20 "years" :insane: of searching resulted in these amazing items! :cloud9: I'm gonna need to identify some new grails to pursue!

Three years of searching to turn up this rarity -- the Warlord #108 "text" variant. 99.999% of the copies of this issue have no caption on the cover, this is a variant or error copy of the newsstand version that includes the "They can't be killed... They can't be stopped..." caption. I've seen only one other copy of a caption-less Warlord #108 which was posted here on the boards by Grimace and kicked off my search. It's a must-have item for a die-hard Warlord collector! I feel fortunate to have located this extremely nice condition copy of such a HTF book in comparatively short order.

warlord108variant.jpg

Eight years of searching to turn up this "does it even exist?" rarity -- DC Whitman variant of DC Comics Presents #22!!! Just when some of us variant collectors were pondering whether this book really existed or whether the image we had seen was a hoax, along comes a guy to join the conversation who says he's got one. :ohnoez: After a quick bout of arm twisting this copy was added to my collection which allowed me to COMPLETE my DC Whitman set! One dancing banana is woefully insufficient! :banana:

whitmandccomicspresents22-sm.jpg

Nine, yes, NINE years of searching FINALLY turned up this "it doesn't exist" impossibility -- the Remco Warlord figure with a little something extra. This package contains the Warlord Remco mini-comic "Battle Beneath the Earth"!!!!!!! Another FANTASTIC Warlord item for my collection! Ian Levine brought this comic to my attention back around 2003 when he was finishing up his DC collection. He stated that info he had from Paul Levitz is that this comic was cancelled, never made, and is not officially supposed to exist. Certainly most of the Warlord figures did not have the comic and apparently the few that did were meant to have been destroyed since, as Ian relayed, Paul Levitz was so adamant that they had scrapped the comic. That didn't stop me from searching for either the loose comic or the ultimate prize, the carded figure that contains the mini-comic! I'd have been happy to have either item but I'm just a little extra elated that I found the mini-comic with the Warlord figure MOC! You can see the Woolworth's price sticker on the card, so apparently this figure with the mini-comic was sold at an ordinary retail outlet!

WarlordRemcoMiniComic-small_zpsa065ac20.jpg

Look carefully behind Warlord and you'll see the left side and bottom edge of this hidden gem peeking out at you. Here's a better look at the mini-comic's cover:

855999-lostwarlordcopy.JPG

I'm so happy that 2012 brought with it these new treasures for my collections and I'm looking forward to another fun year of collecting. I wish everyone a Happy New Year and may 2013 bring good things to you and your loved ones!

Excellent stuff, well done

Warlord :cloud9: (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Little late, but here is mine. Hard to narrow down, if I did it tomorrow it most likely would be different!

PepComics34_zps54a76ab2.jpg

reallife3_zps56c86978.jpg

Scoop2.jpg

LOVE the bottom two.

:taptaptap:

lol

Congrats on the Pep 34 :applause:

lol they're all sweet

P1040007_zpsab646abe.jpg

Submitted the WD 100 myself, the other two books were purchased off of ebay. The story with the Lucille variant is that I found out about the deadline maybe two weeks before it happened. I can remember stressing to find a nice copy on ebay with no time to challenge over zealous claims on condition. I ended up having to pick the book up from the post office and immediately boxed it back up and sent it off to CGC just barely making the deadline by a day. I was inspecting the book in the post office with my girlfriend and then we carefully repackaged it and sent it right back out. We probably looked like we were handling plutonium to the other post office customers. I saw the book for a whole 5 minutes before it was gone again. Very exciting.

Three AMAZING moderns.

P1040007_zpsab646abe.jpg

Submitted the WD 100 myself, the other two books were purchased off of ebay. The story with the Lucille variant is that I found out about the deadline maybe two weeks before it happened. I can remember stressing to find a nice copy on ebay with no time to challenge over zealous claims on condition. I ended up having to pick the book up from the post office and immediately boxed it back up and sent it off to CGC just barely making the deadline by a day. I was inspecting the book in the post office with my girlfriend and then we carefully repackaged it and sent it right back out. We probably looked like we were handling plutonium to the other post office customers. I saw the book for a whole 5 minutes before it was gone again. Very exciting.

+1 Great story too! Plutonium! lol

Three AMAZING moderns.

P1040007_zpsab646abe.jpg