• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Modern Artists?

89 posts in this topic

Not sure I can do this depending on when we are talking about modern!

JG Jones

Mark Silvestri

Jim Lee

McFarlane

Walt Simonson

I know.... Simonson is older, but he did some modern stuff and I think of him like Adam thinks of Eastman. So he's on my list.

I can dig it! :cloud9:

My favourite growing up (yes, I'm still in my late 20's) was Michael Turner and Joe Mad. I'm not too fond of Joe Mads style anymore... well, I shouldn't say that. I still like him but he's not in my favourite category. Although, he doesnt draw anymore anyways so it doesn't matter.

Greg Capullo was sort of two-faced to me. I didn't always love his stuff, sometimes I wasn't too fond of it, but I found when I liked it, I REALLY LIKED IT.

Today, I like David Finch, Jim Lee, Jock, and Steve McNiven.

Hey Mike,

Any chance you'll be using the lists that boardies have provided thus far as possibilities for your next opp :baiting::grin:

I just wanted to see other peoples viewpoints/opinions (thumbs u :)

but never say never :devil:

I really miss J. Scott Campbell's interiors, and I would love to see Ebas go back to that as well, as I feel those two are at the top of their game for girly-pinup stuff, but they are incredible talented as well.

Frank Cho I think is up there for all-around. His interiors are incredible to look at. I really like David Finch's work when I see it.

And Jim Lee, IMHO, is The King. He was kind of like the Neal Adams of the Modern Age - whereas instead of bringing ultra-realism to comics like Adams did, he brought ultra-heroicism (if that's a word) to comics. His panels were pure action, movement and style.

Jim Lee, IMHO, is The King. He was kind of like the Neal Adams of the Modern Age - whereas instead of bringing ultra-realism to comics like Adams did, he brought ultra-heroicism (if that's a word) to comics. His panels were pure action, movement and style.

That would make Jim lee more like the modern age Jack Kirby, would you say?

And Jim Lee, IMHO, is The King. He was kind of like the Neal Adams of the Modern Age - whereas instead of bringing ultra-realism to comics like Adams did, he brought ultra-heroicism (if that's a word) to comics. His panels were pure action, movement and style.

This is how it should have posted.

This would make Jim Lee more like the Modern Age Jack Kirby, would you say?

I'm gonna go with (in no particular order):

Adi Granov

Ariel Olivetti

Eric Powell

Jim Lee

Gabrielle Dell'otto

But I would remove one of these in order to add Mignola, but I don't consider him a 'modern' artist? But people have said Simmonson above me, and Hellboy is modern so hell, may I add him? lol.

This is how it should have posted.

This would make Jim Lee more like the Modern Age Jack Kirby, would you say?

I would. Jim gets better and better with age and is just amazing in every sense. I think Balls way of saying it was spot on and echoed my own ideas.