• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAF update Batman Guardians of Gotham

4 posts in this topic

I don't normally post new acquisitions but this one was just too good to remain buried so I wanted to share it with everyone. It is the original to the print of Guardians of Gotham City by D ick Sprang.

I copied the following from the Heritage auction description:

Sprang Guardians of Gotham City Illustration Original Art (DC, 1996). For "old-school" fans of Batman, nothing comes close to capturing the excitement and thrill of reading the stories illustrated by Sprang. Like Carl Barks, Sprang was not allowed to sign his work during his 1940s and '50s heyday, so to to his young fans (including this Heritage cataloger), he was known only as the "Good Batman" artist for many long years. To handle any of Sprang's original art is a rare treat, but this specialty piece, done for a limited edition set of prints, is beyond belief. Sprang's detail, especially in his wide-angle shots, was always miles beyond his contemporaries, and the master does it again with the scene in the lower left, as Batman and Robin climb a skyscraper -- the scene showing the crowd below them has too many figures to count!

Many memorable moments from Sprang's career are on display here -- the purple-clad Catwoman with her cat-o-nine-tails whip (like in Detective #211), the mysterious Riddler (the unforgettable two-part Detective #140), the Joker with his "utility belt" (Batman #73), the frightening menace of Two-Face (Batman #81), the Penguin with his flame-throwing umbrella (the cover to Batman #38), plus great action scenes of the Batmobile, the Bat-Plane, and the Dynamic Duo themselves, bursting into the scene with the Bat-Symbol high in the sky behind them. Wow!

This mixed-media piece, with colors added by Sprang after the black and white art was shot for one version of the print, is on heavy illustration board with masking tape along the outer borders, The image area measures a whopping 33" x 23", and the art is in Excellent condition. The signed and numbered color print of this is nice, but what can compare with the original art? Get those bids in fast, Bat-fans!

I am so happy to own this piece and share it here. It is honestly as amazing as it looks.

http://cafurl.com?i=19157

Comments are always appreciated.

Best regards,