• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variant Covers... Just Another Gimmick!

8 posts in this topic

...When Too Much of a Good Thing is a Bad Thing...

What's with all the variant covers?

Is this really helping the industry grow?

Is there a genuine reason why a comic, with a listed cover price of $2.99, needs to be marked-up to $10 or $25 bucks by your local specialty shop, solely because it contains a variant cover?

And just because these covers are considered rarer than they're standard cover brethren, does it really deserve a higher price valuation?

BFD! It's a gimmick... a commercial marketing scheme to suck the reader's dry of their hard earned cash. It has no merit... no substance... and in my opinion needs to come to an abrupt end.

Do I like seeing the different artists take on covers? Yes!... I'll admit that... I love eye-candy... who doesn't?... but there's a simple solution... and this suggestion is aimed at the publishers... save these gorgeous variant covers for an inner portfolio... a gallery of images... to be included in the standard periodical as a little extra for the readers. I remember such portfolios where a mainstay in the pages of Savage Sword of Conan magazines, and I loved it... still do. The readers deserve these golden nuggets. We all do. Times are rough and we all need to save a buck or two! Christmas is coming and I got some CGC'd comics to buy!

Now here's a gimmick... Designer Coffins... designed in the logo and color scheme of your favorite superhero. And, as an added bonus... your rotting corpse will be dressed in the costume of your hero of choice. What do you think?

12622.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Your not kidding. I quit buying certain titles a few years back because of the 1/15 , 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 and dont forget the instant $150 instant variant the 1/200. Its too much, Who can afford to dump 200 bucks a week on NEW comics. Not this guy. I think it is hurting them more then helping by far.

I hear you! Just the other day I was at Midtown comics inquiring about Dynamite Entertainment's new title, Masks, which brings together a collection of pulp heroes: The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Kato, Zorro, The Black Bat, Miss Fury... and more. They had a majestic offering of newly released Variant Covers and a few of these covers were by Alex Ross which were apparently sketch or oil painted variants... very rare... but to my shocker... the asking price was $600! Can you believe that? $600!

i liked the variant cover originally but thats when they had maybe one. they have gone way to far. Take for example the new 52 which had a regular, a 1:25 and a 1:200, ok i can live with that. It was the first time action and detective had ever been restarted so i liked the 1:200 (why detective didnt get one i dont know) but then marvel decides to do the same and restart all their titles, except most of their titles had just been restarted within a year or so, avengers, hulk, ff. etc. I think this totaly de-values the last series. This is avengers title #5 i think, same for most. Then to add insult to injury they goto a ridiculous number of variants. reg. blank, scottie young (which are all lame by the way) a 1:25, 1:50,1:100,1:150, plus variants "team avengers" "team xmen" and dont forget variants for hastings, midtown comics, nycc its way over done. I think there was just about 18 different covers for uncanny avengers #1. Marvel should be ashamed. I hope the sales tank, i already notice that the variants arent going for nearly as much as people were expecting.

and a few of these covers were by Alex Ross which were apparently sketch or oil painted variants... very rare... but to my shocker... the asking price was $600! Can you believe that? $600!

$600 doesn't seem that out of line for original artwork by Alex Ross.

I must say I get the Batman Odyssey variants for the Neal Adams cover. I enjoy the variants for the different perspectives an artist portrays. The Watchmen Jim Lee covers are a bit high priced for me. I feel the demand for a 1 in 200 becomes a commodity and I must say that the DC books lately surpass the Marvels...this is my 2 cents worth.....I am finding a bit more enjoyment out of the Independents as of late...

Perhaps there is change a coming. SAGA is very cool