• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There will never be a 9.8... Copper style.

58 posts in this topic

Hulk 377 (3rd.) Not with that horrible black back. All of those printing scuffs and lines are a killer. I'm surprised there are 9.6's. Do they give the book a break because most of the flaws are printing ones?
Neither 9.6 has the usual back cover scuffs or print lines. They are freaks, and one will be a 9.8 case one day, i assure you.

scan0247.jpg

Hulk 377 (3rd.) Not with that horrible black back. All of those printing scuffs and lines are a killer. I'm surprised there are 9.6's. Do they give the book a break because most of the flaws are printing ones?
Neither 9.6 has the usual back cover scuffs or print lines. They are freaks, and one will be a 9.8 case one day, i assure you.

scan0247.jpg

Here's hoping! :wishluck:

After looking over the census at what i would assume are the most popular SMF variants, the highest ive been able to find is a lone 9.4 :whistle:

With an alleged print run of 'only' 5000 copies each these could be the books with the highest print run with no known 9.6s let alone 9.8s.

Well there is probably not a lot of awareness? I myself never heard of these things until this thread.

If they become better known and start fetching $100 or more raw, you'll see a 9.8 within a year. 2c

Can't overestimate the don't give a spoon factor. If I owned a 9.8 candidate I wouldn't bother sending it in because my perception is there is no market and frankly I'm not spending the time to send it in unless its going to be worth some decent money.

What are these things actually selling for anyways?

Well there is probably not a lot of awareness? I myself never heard of these things until this thread.

If they become better known and start fetching $100 or more raw, you'll see a 9.8 within a year. 2c

Can't overestimate the don't give a spoon factor. If I owned a 9.8 candidate I wouldn't bother sending it in because my perception is there is no market and frankly I'm not spending the time to send it in unless its going to be worth some decent money.

I know the GIjoe 63 typically sells for over $100 even in mid grade. I Usually agree with most of the things we discuss, but I am certain that some of these will never have a 9.8. There's too few of them, and you almost never see anything above VF for any of them. There's a healthy demand for most, and the spiderman, xmen, GIJoe, or even the Archies would fetch insane money if one graded 9.8.

I know the GIjoe 63 typically sells for over $100 even in mid grade. I Usually agree with most of the things we discuss, but I am certain that some of these will never have a 9.8. There's too few of them, and you almost never see anything above VF for any of them. There's a healthy demand for most, and the spiderman, xmen, GIJoe, or even the Archies would fetch insane money if one graded 9.8.

I am not disagreeing with you, because none of us know, but there is one indefatigable truth - follow the money. Once the big money drops, stuff flies out of the woodwork. It has happened again and again and again. The first 9.8 hits for big bucks and within 12 months there are 10 or 12 or 18 on the census.

The Scrooge 179 has brought big money for some time, but no 9.8 yet. I agree that most books will have a 9.8 when people see the dollar signs, but there's a handful I would bet against someone finding one, no matter what ridiculous price they might fetch.

Wow, I didn't know they fetched that kind of money! Interesting. Thanks for the insight Bill.

I still think there will be 9.8 copies eventually, but what you've just told me makes me respect these a lot more as probably being a lot tougher than I gave them credit for initially.

The Scrooge 179 has brought big money for some time, but no 9.8 yet. I agree that most books will have a 9.8 when people see the dollar signs, but there's a handful I would bet against someone finding one, no matter what ridiculous price they might fetch.

True, fair point. Still, that is a 1980 book, so its a bit older and came out during a bit less of a speculative / bag n board 'em era than these SMF variants. Still the similarity in the distribution method can't be denied. I would have thought there'd be a Scrooge 179 untouched in a pre-pack somewhere that would qualify for the 9.8

Anybody have print run #s on Scrooge 179? I seem to recall 2000 or less copies being thrown around as a #.

The Cry for Dawn limited editions. There were 1500 for 4 and 5 and 2000 for 6-9. The highest for any of them is 9.6 and for the most part it’s a single example. The stock and process to create was horrible. All were signed, so there was handling. Issues 6 and 7 are insane to find in 9.4 or better given the black on the cover.

True, fair point. Still, that is a 1980 book, so its a bit older and came out during a bit less of a speculative / bag n board 'em era than these SMF variants. Still the similarity in the distribution method can't be denied. I would have thought there'd be a Scrooge 179 untouched in a pre-pack somewhere that would qualify for the 9.8

Anybody have print run #s on Scrooge 179? I seem to recall 2000 or less copies being thrown around as a #.

I recall seeing US179 sold in a pre-pack on ebay maybe a year or so ago. So at least one exists. If I owned it, I don't believe I'd consider opening the pack unless it was a rock solid 9.8 candidate... and even then I'm not sure I'd do it.

scan0247.jpg

Here's hoping! :wishluck:

In Comics General, a collector just posted a 9.8 of this book....