• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There will never be a 9.8... Copper style.

58 posts in this topic

There's a cool thread in the bronze section with the same name. Are there any books in this age, other than the obvious micro print runs, that might not ever have a 9.8? I mean books readily accesible to the masses. Or, say something like a print run of turtles #1 and up? 3000? In another thread it showed it took years to find star wars 107, DD 166, and even Joe 21 for a few years. Are there any left (somewhat sought after books) to be uncovered? My gut feeling is that because of the massive print runs, they'll all have a 9.8 eventually.

Perhaps GiJoe #63 in 3rd print So Much Fun variant

gijoev01_063SoMuchFunvariant.jpg

I believe there were only 5000 printed. There are no crappy copies anywhere let alone in high grade. I think there is a sole 9.2 on the census. I sent mine in to get slabbed but can't imagine it getting more than a 7...

I believe there were only 5000 printed. There are no crappy copies anywhere let alone in high grade. I think there is a sole 9.2 on the census. I sent mine in to get slabbed but can't imagine it getting more than a 7...

I was thinking along the same lines. Marvel/DC reprints with small numbers, and as Bronty mentions, maybe a few independents. Good ones. Not the handmade, 10 copy, vanity projects from the era.

I have several copies that would fall in the crappy range.

I think a lot of those vanity projects are "the good ones."

But I agree for arguments sake it should be stuff that was actually distributed to comic shops at least regionally. Or mail order but I'd say a print run of a few hundred, maybe 500 should be minimum.

I think a lot of those vanity projects are "the good ones."

But I agree for arguments sake it should be stuff that was actually distributed to comic shops at least regionally. Or mail order but I'd say a print run of a few hundred, maybe 500 should be minimum.

I agree, the print run should at least be 500-1000 to be considered for this discussuon. By vanity project, I meant the really bad stuff only family members would have bought. There's a bunch in this time period. They know who they are! :boo:lol

Would a good example be; Tales from the Latern = no... Bone #1- whatever = yes? I only use this as a sample, because there are a few Bone 1's in 9.8 But, would this be a good example of the type of books that should and shouldn't be part of the discussion?

Would a good example be; Tales from the Latern = no... Bone #1- whatever = yes? I only use this as a sample, because there are a few Bone 1's in 9.8 But, would this be a good example of the type of books that should and shouldn't be part of the discussion?

I've never seen a high grade copy of Tales From the Lantern. There have been maybe 8 or 9 sales on eBay since 2007 and the nicest was maybe a 7.0. The books are too big to be graded anyway.

Every single digit Bone book (that went into multiple printings) has a 9.8 at the moment so you can never put them in a "There will never be a 9.8..." conversation. However, several of them are very difficult. By far, the two hardest ones are #5 (Rich_Henn's two SS 9.8s are the only NM/MTs) and #6 (only 1 9.8 in existence). I'd say both issues probably had print runs under 6000.

For those not in the know, almost the entire series has black back covers which is probably why a lot haven't been sent in for grading (non-high grade copies are very apparent). Bone #1, however, has value at almost any grade so these issues will continue to get graded at almost every level.

What's the print run on Tales From The Lantern? That comic is high on my want list.

What's the print run on Tales From The Lantern? That comic is high on my want list.

We see a few more than average here in Ohio. Most believe that it is a print run of 1000. It is the size of a slightly larger digest that is superfat.

I dont know of any 9.8 smf variants. (shrug) Highest ive ever seen is 9.4.

We see a few more than average here in Ohio. Most believe that it is a print run of 1000. It is the size of a slightly larger digest that is superfat.

Thanks ;)

Hulk 377 (3rd.) Not with that horrible black back. All of those printing scuffs and lines are a killer. I'm surprised there are 9.6's. Do they give the book a break because most of the flaws are printing ones?