• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen original release - worth grading for insurance purposes?

3 posts in this topic

Please be gentle 'cos this is my first post!

I have all 12 original issues of Watchmen, plus a limited edition badge set in its cellophane, all of them signed by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons in front of me in Nottingham, UK on 23 October 1987 as part of their promotional tour for the (then) imminent release of the first hardback collection....

Given I have no photos or proof of provenance (other than I know I was there and made an insufficiently_thoughtful_person of myself as I was a giddy 18 year old fanboi at the time) is it worhtwhile sending them off to the US to be graded so that I have at least some way of valuing them for my home insurance?

Or are they so worthless these days as to not be worth spending the shipping/valuation fees on?

Looking through eBay and the like, values are all over the place, from a few dollars/£ per issue through to a few hundred for CGC 'signature' series....

Any help gratefully received. I've got a few photos that I'll add shortly, but have not got any pictures/scans of full pages yet, but will do them if it helps!

Thanks

They would get a green label since a CGC employee or witness was not present at the time of signing.

Since you cannot prove that the signatures are authentic the books would have nowhere near the value they would if they were yellow label.

Matbe one of the SS guys can chime in to see what value the Moore signature might carry.