• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing raw books on auction sites

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone purchased raw books on auction sites like Heritage or Comic Connect that ended up being restored? I've yet to buy a raw golden or silver age book since I started collecting again, but was wondering if anyone's had negative experiences buying raw copies from these places.

Not sure how spot-on they are with grading. Comic Connect seems to overgrade--anyone agree with this? Or am I wrong?

To be fair, nobody can grade books the way CGC does except for CGC.

There are a lot of good, tight raw grading dealers though. Bob Storms and our own Flaming_Telepath come to mind.

There are a lot of good, tight raw grading dealers though. Bob Storms and our own Flaming_Telepath come to mind.

I'd buy a raw graded book from Bob/namisgr...also divad and blue 808...and I agree with both Storms and FT... :headbang:

I bought a raw set of of the Amazing 692 variants and was very pleased.

I bought a raw set of the upcoming Amazing 700 variants and I will let you know.

Overall I was pleased with the three raw Nova 1's I picked up from Metropolis.

I was displeased with a raw book I picked up in person from Metropolis so... go figure.

Even though the seller did not pack it right, I was very pleased with the Batman 47 I bought over eBay. To the seller's defense, he did find the books and never sold comic books before.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Comic Connect (with their auctions anyway) is similar to ebay in that: the seller decides on a grade and lists the book. The seller then sends it to said company when the book sells and they pass it along to the buyer. Whether they do a resto check or grade ballpark check I do not know; I do know they charge extra to grade the book (if you send it in they grade and list for a fee). I bought a VG/F book from them that looked VG in the scan and looks VG in-hand (all good cause I bid with VG in mind).

Heritage's books are sent in BEFORE the list and they have a pro grader (at least a pro head grader). They do a resto check and make a grade assessment before the book is listed on all their auctions. I know their head grader used to be a grader for CGC (got an email from him after I asked where they get their grades from). HA seems to be pretty fast and loose on their grades, though IMO. If any one has more info than me, please speak up. I, for one, would be very interested.

Has anyone purchased raw books on auction sites like Heritage or Comic Connect that ended up being restored? I've yet to buy a raw golden or silver age book since I started collecting again, but was wondering if anyone's had negative experiences buying raw copies from these places.

Not sure how spot-on they are with grading. Comic Connect seems to overgrade--anyone agree with this? Or am I wrong?

I've seen a number of cracked out books on CC and metro selling for higher grades. That said, I still bought them, resubbed them, and got that grade bump they were selling it, at plus another half grade. So just be careful and pay close attention to their scans. Restoration is another story though. I would still be worried about that. I'm sure it goes by book and that particular seller. But they do take returns, it's just a hassle.

I'd buy a raw graded book from Bob/namisgr...also divad and blue 808...and I agree with both Storms and FT... :headbang:

Agreed. And of course, the author of this post . . . trmoore54 himself! (thumbs u

Also add everyone's favorite junk seller, cd4ever :grin:

HA and CC? Too retail and inflated (as to both price and grade). ;) Unless of course they have something that you just HAVE to have (and no one else has it to offer).