• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's NEVER Too Early For Movie Hype

52 posts in this topic

Boy Gene, you also forget that advance word on the Hulk wasn't very good. Reviews were not positive...

I hear people say this frequently, and I never know whether they're getting it from. Movies.com compiles reviews from as many different major sources as they're able to get them from, and the reviews for Hulk were well above average--10 positive, 4 negative, 2 mixed. The reviews weren't overwhelmingly positive like the Spidey films, but they weren't negative, either.

Check it out here: http://movies.go.com/movies/H/hulkthe_2001/index.html

Boy Gene, you also forget that advance word on the Hulk wasn't very good. Reviews were not positive...

I hear people say this frequently, and I never know whether they're getting it from. Movies.com compiles reviews from as many different major sources as they're able to get them from, and the reviews for Hulk were well above average--10 positive, 4 negative, 2 mixed. The reviews weren't overwhelmingly positive like the Spidey films, but they weren't negative, either.

Check it out here: http://movies.go.com/movies/H/hulkthe_2001/index.html

Rottentomatoes.com has much more in-depth coverage of reviews and it got a Fresh rating of 59% (slightly "rotten") after compiling over 200 reviews.

Hulk ratings from rottentomatoes.com

Wow, never seen rottentomatoes.com, thanks! Any idea how they choose who they include reviews for? I've always wondered how movies.com chooses who they do and don't include reviews for.

Sure, but the Rotten Tomatoes takes just about everyone and their dog into consideration, while the other list is like their "cream of the crop", and includes top-name reviewers and media outlets.

From what I can remember, The Hulk was NOT panned by major media, while a ton of smaller, far less influential sites slammed it mercilessly. So if you're looking for a culprit, it was not the reviews.

Wow, never seen rottentomatoes.com, thanks! Any idea how they choose who they include reviews for? I've always wondered how movies.com chooses who they do and don't include reviews for.

Well, nevermind, I found it. They only accept reviews from critics with an accreditation from somewhere ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/pages/critics#film_critic ). Movies.com seems to only include the critics who work for nationally syndicated newspapers and television shows.

I dunno which one to trust, but I'll be glancing at them both for a while I suppose... confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, but the Rotten Tomatoes takes just about everyone and their dog into consideration, while the other list is like their "cream of the crop", and includes top-name reviewers and media outlets.

From what I can remember, The Hulk was NOT panned by major media, while a ton of smaller, far less influential sites slammed it mercilessly. So if you're looking for a culprit, it was not the reviews.

Rottentomatoes.com actually has TWO different rating scales. One from "everyone" and one from "the cream of the crop." The Hulk actually got a lower rating from the cream of the crop, with 54%.

Not really sure, James. I don't think they set the bar very high, but they have a separate rating system (which you see on the right hand side of the page) for the "cream of the crop" reviewers like A.O. Scott from the NYT and Ropers & Ebert, etc.

People, people, people ... amidst all of your fanboy ravings you've neglected to mention the most glaringly obvious here: Zipper's a keyword spammer ("Waid, Wieringo, Alba?!?!").

I expect you all to report him immediately. stooges.gif

Maybe he's including Alba with the comic if you hit the BIN? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

People, people, people ... amidst all of your fanboy ravings you've neglected to mention the most glaringly obvious here: Zipper's a keyword spammer ("Waid, Wieringo, Alba?!?!").

I expect you all to report him immediately. stooges.gif

Maybe he's including Alba with the comic if you hit the BIN? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In that case, the buyer overpaid. tongue.gif