• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Reversal of Fortune

15 posts in this topic

Or buying by the nix load

I'm taking a chance. I just purchased at least 4500 raw comic books. At least that is the number I think it is. They are anywhere between mid seventies and early nineties. I didn't get to really look through them as deeply as I would have wanted too. I still had to get to work. One of the first boxes I looked at had The Thing and Spider-Woman, two series I've been wanting to read. There also looked to be some nice Amazing-spider Man issues, including 194,238, and 252.

Unfortunately, I am now stuck at work and will have to diligently go through them tomorrow, after breakfast with my dad. It was claimed there were six thousand but from the picture I took it might be closer to 4500. One of the titles was the New Mutants and the two issues I looked at hoping for a high grade was 47 and 99. The 99 has a shot. I'll have to examine it closer, the 47, a newsstand edition has not.

I am hoping to sell off what I don't want, keep what I do, and grade what I want to send to CGC, maybe with a signature or two. Part of me is afraid I miscounted and didn't get the deal I was hoping for but either way it gives me a chunk closer to what I had to get rid of all those years ago.

And by the way I couldn't get past day eleven without buying a CGC graded book. And just as a second after thought almost like it doesn't matter, my Amazing Spider-Man arrived today.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Picture of the comics I bought. What's your best guess?

12656.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

If I did the math right about 18.5 cents a book. I'll know exact numbers after I inventory them all.

You could still do OK if there are some real 9.8s or some minor keys that are in decent shape. Good luck, bud.

Does anyone know how to rotate a picture once up loaded?

This happens often with my iPhone pictures. If I don't have Photoshop handy, I will upload to my Flickr account, and then I can rotate the images in there.

I can't get a good look at how many boxes you have there but a long box holds anywhere from 250 to 350 books. That is what I use to judge how many books in a purchase. So the question is how much did you pay? Where did you get it from? And why are you taking a chance? Did you buy it sight unseen? Is your only goal to CGC some books and wholesale the rest? You need to be very careful when buying these bunches. The good stuff goes but then you are stuck with a bunch of that is hard to sell even at a 1.00 or less. Also, you don't want to be stuck with books like the previews that are usually worthless. That all being said where you are now is my favorite part of the process. I love the initial look through once I get a collection home. Good luck and keep me informed.