• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless v Page Missing

4 posts in this topic

I have been reading through the forum thread "Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading" and have a question maybe someone will have an insight to or have had a similar situation.

I recently obtained comics missing an ad page (not effecting story or art) which is otherwise around a 5.0 grade. After looking around I have found a coverless copy in similar condition reasonably priced.

Out of curiosity what would be better; 1) to get the coverless copy and marry the missing page to my already covered version? or 2) to marry the cover to the missing covered copy?

New to restoration I'm wondering if there is a preferred 'marriage' orrrrr should I just be content with my copy and forget about finding the missing page?

I guess what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is will either option improve a grade (from incomplete) should I ever want it slabbed?

In my opinion you definitely want to marry the page from your coverless copy to the copy with the cover.

It's harder to marry a cover to a coverless copy because the staple holes won't match up and you always want to use the staple positions from the cover.

When you marry the inner page to your covered copy you will most likely have to carefully punch some new tiny holes into the spine of that page to match the position of the comic. These holes will for the most part be hidden once the comic is reassembled.

It will be easy to tell that the page is married because the paper color will be slightly different and there's no great way to match up the edges without trimming them (please don't trim them if you're submitting to CGC)

If this is a valuable comic you should have the pros do it. If it's not valuable go ahead and give it a shot.

Interesting, that makes sense.

I would go the pro route, but even with a pro doing it, would it then qualify for a blue label without an 'incomplete' mention or would it only be considered for a green label?