• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Document Repair Tape Recommendation for my Choice Comics #3

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if I want to add tape or not but I have a low grade copy of Choice Comics #3 (kind of a classic cover) that has a piece in the upper left corner that barely hanging on. I did a search here but didn't find anything but I most likely search-challenged.

Given it is a low grade copy, I am thinking about securing it. I believe CGC doesn't consider tape as restoration (I have mixed feelings myself).

Below are pics of the book and the corner. Also below are two products that I was considering. Any thoughts?

461BB8A1-6C32-443A-92EF-3A1ADE7D10A2-4637-000006A2E2237810_zpsfb99c640.jpg

843443CD-0D6D-4776-B040-8DA83CB3EC45-4637-000006A2EDDCD0EA_zps21a9bc41.jpg

31c8WaKoNfL.jpg

Transparent Mending Tissue - Amazon.com link

41nDGxcLegL.jpg

Document Repair Tape - Amazon.com link

I use the Lineco Document Repair Tape, specifically for keeping together very poor reading copies (i'm talking disintegrating apart levels of damage). It goes on nearly transparent and recommend it.

However the issue you have there looks generally overall much better shape, and if the corner peice falls off I would just say keep it aside in a protective case (stored flat) for any future restoration or selling.

While you are technically correct that CGC does not regard tape as restoration, that only applies to scotch tape and other tape applied in attempt to keep a book together and nto for restoritive results. Yeah it's confusing - but applying archival tape that does less damage than standard tape causes you to get a restored grade from CGC.

While you are technically correct that CGC does not regard tape as restoration, that only applies to scotch tape and other tape applied in attempt to keep a book together and nto for restoritive results. Yeah it's confusing - but applying archival tape that does less damage than standard tape causes you to get a restored grade from CGC.

Thanks - I had no idea. I had seen other threads about tape on a book but didn't realize they distinguished. I definitely don't want to do anything that would cause damage like non-acidic tape. Thanks again.