• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

29 posts in this topic

What really POs me about this book (and I am sure that most forumites have gone through this with one book or another) is that when it first came out (original printing) my lcs guy told me to buy the book because it was gonna be hot! It was 1984 and I was 13 yrs. old so hot to me was Madonna in black! devil.gif Looking back I only wish I had listened to the lcs sage (even though it was a rather goofy looking cover!!)

Whoah! Now that will be one interesting auction... do I sense a 1980s record coming on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
What do you think the file copies will be like?

You would have thought that one of them would have kept a few.

I think it would go higher if he allowed shipping outside of the USA, just think about the exchange rate, it is still massive and we english are buying up quite a few of the big books.

Any predictions for a final price?

Whoah! Now that will be one interesting auction... do I sense a 1980s record coming on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it would go higher if he allowed shipping outside of the USA, just think about the exchange rate, it is still massive and we english are buying up quite a few of the big books.

Sweet book. It will definitely be interesting to see how many high grade copies of this book begin to surface, particularly if four figure prices are being paid. Personally I would not pay big money for a copy until I knew whether and how many pristine file copies are sitting in Eastman and Laird's private collections.

BTW, just because he indicates he doesn't ship outside the US doesn't mean that he won't. A lot of sellers just want a chance to vet overseas buyers before agreeing to let them bid. I've only had one seller who categorically refused to ship overseas, no matter how good my credentials were.

Sweet book. It will definitely be interesting to see how many high grade copies of this book begin to surface, particularly if four figure prices are being paid. Personally I would not pay big money for a copy until I knew whether and how many pristine file copies are sitting in Eastman and Laird's private collections.

BTW, just because he indicates he doesn't ship outside the US doesn't mean that he won't. A lot of sellers just want a chance to vet overseas buyers before agreeing to let them bid. I've only had one seller who categorically refused to ship overseas, no matter how good my credentials were.

Yeah, but putting that will still put off a few of the people who might have been willing to pay big dollars for it.

I can see this hitting maybe $2.5k maybe 3k if a bidding war comes up. But if it goes higher we will be getting into crazy territory, looking at the census already shows that there is no shortage of good ones out there.

I can see this hitting maybe $2.5k maybe 3k if a bidding war comes up. But if it goes higher we will be getting into crazy territory, looking at the census already shows that there is no shortage of good ones out there.

Yeah, but a 9.4 just went for over $3k on Comic link last month. This book could hit $5 insane.gif

Yeah, but a 9.4 just went for over $3k on Comic link last month. This book could hit $5 insane.gif

893whatthe.gif

Well that shows how much i follow the TMNT market confused-smiley-013.gif

According to GPA a 9.4 just went last month for $610, so is this a steal or is the Comiclink one just plain crazy?

The $610 9.4 on GPA was sold by Neatstuff. It was a 2nd print, but they failed to mention that in their auction. You had to squint at the tiny scan and catch the CGC "second printing" note. If I hadnt known where CGC put the 2nd print note, I wouldn't have seen it.

@ssholes.

The $610 9.4 on GPA was sold by Neatstuff. It was a 2nd print, but they failed to mention that in their auction. You had to squint at the tiny scan and catch the CGC "second printing" note. If I hadnt known where CGC put the 2nd print note, I wouldn't have seen it.

@ssholes.

Oh.

See yet again, that shows how much i follow the TMNT market.

So basically someone got screwed.

Or is that a going rate on a 2nd print? foreheadslap.gif

@ssholes.

Oh.

See yet again, that shows how much i follow the TMNT market.

So basically someone got screwed.

Or is that a going rate on a 2nd print? foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, if you didnt really look closely at that auction, there's no way you'd know it was a 2nd. GPA even recorded it as a 1st. I seriously doubt a 2nd is really worth that much.

@ssholes.

Amen to that. I told them about 2 days into the auction to change it, and I got a response, but they never did change it. @[!@#%^&^] is correct! sign-rantpost.gif

[quote

I'm pretty sure that on the inside cover of the fourth print that state they didn't keep any copies for themselves. They were saying they were kicking themselves because at the time of the fourth print 1st prints were going for $100.00.

anyone with a fourth print that can check this??

I was actually told by a relatively reliable source who knows Eastman that he has quite a few copies but has no intention of selling or slabbing them. But again I can not verify this 100%

I think you'll find that most of the independent publishers have file copies of their books. This seems to have been the case with Cerebus #1, Zap #1 (probably the key underground comic), and now probably TMNT #1.

This does not bode well for investors paying a lot of dough for these books prior to the file copies coming out. It also hurts long-term collectors who may have been holding onto these books from the beginning.

Shouldn't Eastman and Laird be extremely well off? What with the merchandising, cartoons, movies, etc..I wouldn't think they'd need to sell off file copies.

I'm sure they are *extremely* well off. There have been turtles products out there almost continuously for 20 years now 893whatthe.gif There's also been a real resurgence lately with new toys, a new tv show, new video games, etc. My young nephews are as much TMNT fans as I was at their age 893whatthe.gif

Shouldn't Eastman and Laird be extremely well off? What with the merchandising, cartoons, movies, etc..I wouldn't think they'd need to sell off file copies.

It's not necessarily a case of them being well off or not. There are many reasons for selling other than financial need. William Gaines was certainly well off, but at some point in his life he decided to unleash his file copies on an unsuspecting public.

The point is that if Eastman and Laird have file copies, and I'm positive they do and they're probably pristine, then at some point they probably will be released, dramatically altering any perceived scarcity. It may be E&L selling for charity, or it might be their heirs someday simply liquidating all of poor old deceased Dad's assets to get cold hard cash.