• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty backs???

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys here are some books with varying degrees of dirt on the whites of the back. I was wondering to what extent this can be cleaned?

What should I be looking for as good cleaning candidates?

Is the dirt in the slabed book in the medium catergory the same as the others? (the others are all from the same collection while the middle is a slabed book)

Light

IM3back.jpg

XM66back.jpg

Medium

ASM129back.jpg

ASM69back.jpg

Heavy

XM45B.jpg

Thanks in advance

All of the books you post as examples could have the dirt cleaned off the back covers.

As far as what to look for, you need to be able to tell the difference between dirt, stains, yellowing and foxing. Foxing on white covers can look a lot like dirt. But it's just the pager aging. The back cover right below the slabbed book appears to have a stain or two. The second cover the dark spot on the left is likely a stain. Those stains will not get go away with dry cleaning, which I assume is what you are talking about. A restorer could clean the stains of course - but they would disassemble the book and wash the cover. And the book would then be considered restored.

I don't really understand your third question. There is no universal standard for light, medium and heavy dirty covers. Your own standard is as good as any.

Thanks Tony. I wasn't trying to insititute a standard just provide examples in a logical order of severity to see if the degree of dirt impacted the possibility of cleaning.

My question re the slabed book arose because the dirt looked a bit different to me. But I guess it is the same. Thanks for your advice. You are always helpful.

There are many reasons a back cover could be dirty.

Foxing

Actual Dirt

Ink Transfer

are three of the more common reasons.

They could be any oneof these or a combination. I see many books that have dirt and ink transfer. Both can be removed if done right, especially the ink transfer. Foxing is fairly common, and as anyone knows cannot be removed by dry erasing.