• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America - What's the Ceiling?

63 posts in this topic

This is my Cap 1 and my best comic in my collection. I have had it for just over 5 years now.

I've told the story before before but here it is again on how I acquired the comic.

While at a comic show in TN back in 2003 an attendee came to my booth telling me about all the comics he had that he had collected back in the 1970's. In the collection was Cap 1 and 6 Batman 4, 8, 9 and 10, Det 40, were the Gold highlights as well as 200+ silver with DD 1, Avengers 1, TOS 39.

We exchanged phone #'s. Comics were at his house 30 miles away and after the show was not a good time but I should call him in a few days. Well in a few days I called but that weekend was bad for him as was every weekend for the next 8 times I called over the next several months. I gave up thinking he was blowing smoke.

In 2007 a guy called me because of my Overstreet ad who lived in TN with about 60 Spider-man comics from #20 up that he said were reasonably priced and ready to sell. I hit the road that weekend for the 2 hr drive to look at the Spidey comics and they were insanely overpriced and over graded. I actually took my box of Spider-man show inventory and showed him I had the same comics in nicer shape at less than half of what he was asking and still he was convinced his were worth a lot. I even tried to get him to buy mine at a discount off of my sticker price to convince him his prices were a joke.

As I drove away disgusted I looked at my little black book with past contacts/calls about comic collections and came across the Cap 1 guy who only lived 45 miles away from where I was. He actually answered and we had a great little conversation about all his comics which he still had. I asked if I could swing by since I was in the area but it was a bad time and I should call him back in a few days. :pullhair: Here we go again!

A few days later I called to see if he was free that weekend. He said it would be a great weekend for me to look at the comics. :whee:

I spent most of Saturday afternoon looking over all the comics. Probably spent over an hour looking at the Cap 1 alone checking and re-checking for any resto missing pages etc. I bet I counted the pages 5 times. I could not believe I was holding such a cool comic.

I'm small time in this hobby and in my 30 years digging for collections this was the best I had ever found. After some negotiations the collection was now mine. The Cap 1 is all I still have from that collection.

Just last year I had to go back to TN to look at another collection and checked that areas Craigslist I was going to and saw a ad that a guy posted selling some of his Spider-man collection that consisted of #'s from 20 up. I met the Cragslist guy at our hotel lobby and it was the same idi0t who tried to sell me his overpriced/overgraded Spidey comics in 2007.

As much as I wanted to get mad at him again he is the reason I reconnected with the Cap 1 guy.

OK enough yapping. My avatar will probably never change until I sell this comic.

cap1cgc.jpg

Love stories like this....and love your Cap 1!!!

OK enough yapping. My avatar will probably never change until I sell this comic.

cap1cgc.jpg

I'm still waiting.

:whistle:

I plan on selling when I hit 60. :wishluck: Talk to me in 9 years!

Thanks for all the great comments. I too also like reading the story behind the comics.

and now you know the rest of the story...