• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short lived 70's books, the good the bad and the ugly.

53 posts in this topic

I, for one, am thankful that these weirdass comics exist. :cloud9: Joe Simon was not afraid to take the latest social phenomenon (18 year old vote - Prez, Hippie culture - Brother Power) and turn it into a comic.

Viva la 70s!!!

Still doesn't explain why DC thought it was a good idea though. (shrug)

I've wondered about that as well. Lots of really oddball stuff came out of the Joe Simon / Jerry grandenetti shop in those years. I wonder if DC had one eye on the emerging success of underground comix and tried to do a code-approved version?

I am going to post the entire Shade series. Now, I love this series and think it was awesome, here are some stunning copies of a cool title. Now let's get this straight, I think Shade is AWESOME:

shade1.jpg

Ragman, anyone?

Its hard to imagine in the current atmosphere, but DCs non-Hero books consistantly outsold their super-hero books in the early 1970s. The powers that be seemed clueless as to what the comic reading audience wanted so they put out a buffet of a bit of everything.

Beowulf, Claw, The Avenger, The Shadow, Rima, Sword and Socery, monsters, ghouls, a revival of 1940s character in Freedom Brigade or whatever it ended up being titled they revived Captain Marvel and his coharts,,

Secret Society of Super-Villiansgave Joker his own book,, Gorillas, anything went for awhile.

Ragman, anyone?

Its hard to imagine in the current atmosphere, but DCs non-Hero books consistantly outsold their super-hero books in the early 1970s. The powers that be seemed clueless as to what the comic reading audience wanted so they put out a buffet of a bit of everything.

Beowulf, Claw, The Avenger, The Shadow, Rima, Sword and Socery, monsters, ghouls, a revival of 1940s character in Freedom Brigade or whatever it ended up being titled they revived Captain Marvel and his coharts,,

Secret Society of Super-Villiansgave Joker his own book,, Gorillas, anything went for awhile.

Prove it with scans, please! :preach:

Ragman, anyone?

Prove it with scans, please! :preach:

rm1.jpg

Ok, I changed the title of this thread because Ragman and Shade were very, very good books, much better than other superhero books at the time. In fact, I put those Shade covers by Ditko up against anything you would find from the mid to late 70's.