• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short lived 70's books, the good the bad and the ugly.

53 posts in this topic

Hey, if you don't want those Prez issues, I'll PM you my address and you can mail them to me.

Personally, I love Prez. Joe Simon just went for it with every weird book he put out during the 70's. Prez #4 is one of my favorite single issues of the time, I love it. Not everything has to be Batman or Spider-Man.

Obviously how good a book is, is subjective. I think it is a awful book overal, but one I am very nostalgic about, since I bought them (not these copies) new. Don't worry, I have other stuff besides Prez to pick on! lol

Hey, if you don't want those Prez issues, I'll PM you my address and you can mail them to me.

Personally, I love Prez. Joe Simon just went for it with every weird book he put out during the 70's. Prez #4 is one of my favorite single issues of the time, I love it. Not everything has to be Batman or Spider-Man.

I think all of us have a soft spot for certain bad comics. There's no denying that they're bad though. I honestly can't imagine why DC published this book? Did they honestly expect it to catch on with the masses and run for 50-100 issues or so? Weird

Jerry Grandenetti art. Damn, I love his early DC war cover art but he really lost something in the 70's :(

Oh yeah!

That art on #1 looks worse than the art project my 10 year old daughter did last month :sick:

I, for one, am thankful that these weirdass comics exist. :cloud9: Joe Simon was not afraid to take the latest social phenomenon (18 year old vote - Prez, Hippie culture - Brother Power) and turn it into a comic.

Viva la 70s!!!

I, for one, am thankful that these weirdass comics exist. :cloud9: Joe Simon was not afraid to take the latest social phenomenon (18 year old vote - Prez, Hippie culture - Brother Power) and turn it into a comic.

Viva la 70s!!!

Very true! At least publishers took a chance on something quirky and different back then, instead of putting out multiple titles featuring the same characters.

Viva la 70s!!!

I was actually PSYCHED when i found like 4 Prez #1's in the 25c boxes at my LCS in Tallahassee in like 1993 :blush:

Viva la 70s!!!

Very true! At least publishers took a chance on something quirky and different back then, instead of putting out multiple titles featuring the same characters.

What??? You dont like having to buy 47 different Spidey or X-titles every month??? :screwy:

Viva la 70s!!!

Still doesn't explain why DC thought it was a good idea though. (shrug)

On the other hand, Kirby was putting out his own versions of weirdness at the same time.

Obviously how good a book is, is subjective. I think it is a awful book overal, but one I am very nostalgic about, since I bought them (not these copies) new. Don't worry, I have other stuff besides Prez to pick on! lol

Ah, well, I think Prez is actually very entertaining and has a ton of crazy energy. Maybe it's not "good" per se, but on the other hand, I think it's way better than a lot of the extremely tedious and flat superhero books DC was putting out in the 70's. I just read Wonder Woman #212-329 and Prez was vastly more entertaining than 90% of those comics. I'd much rather read something totally out there like The Green Team or Dingbats of Danger Street than another paint-by-numbers Gerry Conway or Elliott S! Maggin story about Steve Lombard or The Rainbow Raider or something.

You read 127 70's Wonder Woman's?!?

Was that some court ordered medieval punishment or something??? :o

Technically, some of them were from the 80's. I was curious about the series, so I bought the whole run and sat down to read it last month.

I'm still curious, of course, but now I'm curious how they could take one of the most iconic and interesting superheroes ever made and put out 12 straight years of garbage.

(though, in fairness, the last couple years with Dan Mishkin writing are not half bad)