• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

days of future past up-date

69 posts in this topic

I like Bryan Singer alot. What's wrong with him?

Brett Ratner is another story.

X-MEN 1&2, Superman Returns...that's what's wrong with him. Apt Pupil was OK.

At the time, I think X-Men 1 and 2 were big influences on the film industry in regards to comic movies. Even though they played fast and loose with the stories, presumably it was to make them more audience-friendly, which translated into lots of money, which then led to studios looking more towards comic movies.

By the time Superman Returns hit in 2006, Singer's abilities (or lack of) really showed. I don't think he's very good, either - but I think his contributions on the X films happened at the right time, with the right effect and benefitted the comic industry.

As long as X-Men stays at Fox, I'm not real sure they are going to do anything too amazing, regardless of director.

I don't know how much it benefited the comics industry. The main reason cited for Bob Harras leaving / getting fired from Marvel was for his inability to capitalize on the success of the X-MEN movie. (shrug)

I'm not sure where that's cited, but I'm not convinced that's an accurate assesment, based on sales figures for Marvel.

In July of 2000 when X-Men came out, 3 of the top 5 selling comics were Mutie titles, accounting for 311,000 book sales. Six months later in December of 2000 4 of the top 5 selling titles were mutant titles and accounted for 400,000 book sales. The same time a year later in July of 2001 the top five selling books were all X-titles and accounted for 581,000 in book sales, and a huge surge overall in the comics industry as a whole (based on their sales from the site).

I'm sure there's some details I'm missing, but that pretty much paints a picture that the movies helped the comic industry, unless someone has another significant event that would have catapulted the X-titles into the top selling comics in the entire industry during that one year period and beyond. X-Men was a $300 million dollar film, which was huge money at the time. It brought a lot of people into comics, that's for sure.

I'm just repeating what I was told by someone who was working there at the time. I have no reason to not trust their information, but it's entirely possible it was their opinion based on observation.

Also, those are cumulative figures. At one point Harras was overseeing the line where just Uncanny was selling those numbers and higher.

I like Bryan Singer alot. What's wrong with him?

Brett Ratner is another story.

X-MEN 1&2, Superman Returns...that's what's wrong with him. Apt Pupil was OK.

At the time, I think X-Men 1 and 2 were big influences on the film industry in regards to comic movies. Even though they played fast and loose with the stories, presumably it was to make them more audience-friendly, which translated into lots of money, which then led to studios looking more towards comic movies.

By the time Superman Returns hit in 2006, Singer's abilities (or lack of) really showed. I don't think he's very good, either - but I think his contributions on the X films happened at the right time, with the right effect and benefitted the comic industry.

As long as X-Men stays at Fox, I'm not real sure they are going to do anything too amazing, regardless of director.

I don't know how much it benefited the comics industry. The main reason cited for Bob Harras leaving / getting fired from Marvel was for his inability to capitalize on the success of the X-MEN movie. (shrug)

I'm not sure where that's cited, but I'm not convinced that's an accurate assesment, based on sales figures for Marvel.

In July of 2000 when X-Men came out, 3 of the top 5 selling comics were Mutie titles, accounting for 311,000 book sales. Six months later in December of 2000 4 of the top 5 selling titles were mutant titles and accounted for 400,000 book sales. The same time a year later in July of 2001 the top five selling books were all X-titles and accounted for 581,000 in book sales, and a huge surge overall in the comics industry as a whole (based on their sales from the site).

I'm sure there's some details I'm missing, but that pretty much paints a picture that the movies helped the comic industry, unless someone has another significant event that would have catapulted the X-titles into the top selling comics in the entire industry during that one year period and beyond. X-Men was a $300 million dollar film, which was huge money at the time. It brought a lot of people into comics, that's for sure.

I'm just repeating what I was told by someone who was working there at the time. I have no reason to not trust their information, but it's entirely possible it was their opinion based on observation.

Also, those are cumulative figures. At one point Harras was overseeing the line where just Uncanny was selling those numbers and higher.

Yeah, could be. Cumulative or not, an increase in +/- 40-50% sales based on someone elses' investment (Fox) is a pretty nice kick back.

I guess I'm just crazy but I enjoyed Superman returns. X-2 and Spider-Man 2 are probably my 2 favorite Marvel movies after Avengers.

(I know he didn't direct spidey 2, but it gets alot of hate as well on these boards.)

Spider-man Two was the best of the franchise. Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus was excellent casting.

This is true. Keep up the good work.

I can't. I get the shakes when I start making relevant and on topic posts.

1sm120fear.gif

Spider-man Two was the best of the franchise. Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus was excellent casting.

This is true. Keep up the good work.

I can't. I get the shakes when I start making relevant and on topic posts.

1sm120fear.gif

You and me both matey.