• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,726 posts in this topic

So what's up with this book being so expensive? Is it rumors of the movie Bucky/Winter Soldier being a version of the 50's Bucky Jack Monroe or just more Nomad stuff?

The first appearance of the "Jack Monroe" Bucky is Young Men #24. It wasn't meant to be him at the time but it was retconned in the 70's.

So what's up with this book being so expensive? Is it rumors of the movie Bucky/Winter Soldier being a version of the 50's Bucky Jack Monroe or just more Nomad stuff?

The first appearance of the "Jack Monroe" Bucky is Young Men #24. It wasn't meant to be him at the time but it was retconned in the 70's.

Cool - I remember that from OHOTMU

Wait, what about Bucky's post-war adventures in Captain America Comics?

It was retconned that any Cap and Bucky in Captain America Comics after 1945 were other people taking on the persona's.

Should MP 1 be worth more than Thor 165? Almost every other example in the market proves that the earlier appearance is more coveted.

When I read this kind of comment, it makes me want to puke. You people are all so enthralled with the "market value" (like that means anything) it really makes me sick that some people actually equate value with importance, *especially* when we're talking about books from totally different eras.

I think I'm about done in this thread, so you can go back to fondling your slabs and talking about ROI and all that important comic stuff.

It was retconned that any Cap and Bucky in Captain America Comics after 1945 were other people taking on the persona's.

Here's a good breakdown of the other people who took on the Cap mantle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incarnations_of_Captain_America

I know but I assumed Jack Monroe was the post-war Bucky which dude said first appeared in YM 24.

I guess there was more than one substitute, I will look it up, thanks. (Fred Davis, got it) :thumbsup:

But that was a pretty weak retcon, right up there with the coke-fueled "Norman Osborne digging himself out of the ground and hiding in France for decades" stupidity.

Things that Joe Collector does not like:

1. Coke

2. Speedos

3. Cavemen

But that was a pretty weak retcon, right up there with the coke-fueled "Norman Osborne digging himself out of the ground and hiding in France for decades" stupidity.

Things that Joe Collector does not like:

1. Coke

2. Speedos

3. Cavemen

lol

Things JC does like:

1. Synonyms for "stupid"

2. ????

:jokealert:

Edited by DavidTheDavid

But the Phoenix entity is a different character than Jean Grey. So that's not quite the same situation.

But that was just a retcon and when Jean was supposed to be Phoenix, it was still noted as "1st Appearance of Phoenix" in OS.