• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

With a great reputation comes great auction results (worship)

I lost an auction for this book the other day it went over $87

really solid copy. I couldn't justify paying almost $90 so I gave up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161219899983?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

This is one of the reasons why I'm on heavy anti-depressants...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-169-1973-NM-9-2-White-Pages-1st-App-Brother-Voodoo-/321310391448?hash=item4acf977c98

It's another aspect of life I don't get. I need all the cash I can get because I'm way behind financially and have a girlfriend and daughter to support, so things like this get me down.

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo

Wow. You know what? You're right. I assumed it was the same book since he just bought one from me a few weeks ago. I'll edit my post about him, but my comment still stands. Mine is the better copy, yet went for nearly half. Blah.

Peace,

Chip

The only point I would dispute above is the diminishing returns on modern speculation. I have been playing the spec game with moderns the since late 2012 and am nice returns that I pour into older keys/hot books. I am not the only one doing this. It is basically 1989 - 1993 all over again - I was in junior high and high school and too distracted by girls and sports to play that spec bubble right, but this time is a different story. lol

That's dead on. It's a speculation driven market. Nearly 25 years ago Astonishing Tales #25, Marvel Spotlight #5, as well as others were "hot" because of speculation. Marvel was re-launching all of these characters in new titles and everyone wanted to have the next Hulk #181 and ASM #129. Then speculators moved on to scooping up any first appearance they could find. Iron Fist, DD #150, etc. Many of the same ones that are gaining popularity now.

With Characters like Rocket Raccoon and $1 books like Hulk #271 still gaining value, other books getting "hot" over night based on some obscure or legit movie rumor it's a race to get the next "hot" book.

I'm sure the market will change. Collector/investor/speculators are already seeing a slow down in the new comic variant cover/convention special market (just like Image in the 90's) They are moving to and paying big money for these BA and CA books. Most will lose money on the flip, become disenchanted and leave the hobby. No different than the 90s

I'm sure the market will change. Collector/investor/speculators are already seeing a slow down in the new comic variant cover/convention special market (just like Image in the 90's) They are moving to and paying big money for these BA and CA books. Most will lose money on the flip, become disenchanted and leave the hobby. No different than the 90s

Of course it will change. But the fact remains that there are a lot of Copper books out there in $1 bins that are in great condition and that are not printing #4 or whatever kind of variant, they're just great books that can be found readily and flipped for a huge profit and you won't lose money on the flip if you buy the

right books.

A guy that shops where I do at a LCS told me that he found two New Mutant 98 books there last fall in the back-issue section for $1.99 each. At the same store I

recently got an ASM 344, X-Factor 24, Thor 337 and Uncanny X-Men 282 for a

buck apiece in the $1 boxes. Give 'em a shower and a shave and these are all well over $100 or more CGC books.

This Copper mining may continue for another five years, who knows how long the vein will continue to produce.

Of course it will change. But the fact remains that there are a lot of Copper books out there in $1 bins that are in great condition and that are not printing #4 or whatever kind of variant, they're just great books that can be found readily and flipped for a huge profit and you won't lose money on the flip if you buy the

right books.

A guy that shops where I do at a LCS told me that he found two New Mutant 98 books there last fall in the back-issue section for $1.99 each. At the same store I

recently got an ASM 344, X-Factor 24, Thor 337 and Uncanny X-Men 282 for a

buck apiece in the $1 boxes. Give 'em a shower and a shave and these are all well over $100 or more CGC books.

This Copper mining may continue for another five years, who knows how long the vein will continue to produce.

I agree there are a lot of great books. Many are trashed from neglect. They don't all have variant covers. Many should be worth $100-$300 in 9.8. There are many that should not and won't hold the value.

There is also an evolution that happens. Some of the folks that thought it was a good idea to buy a a Batman Adventures #12 for $1000 and are already seeing that diminish will realize "Well, mess, I could have bought a 9.2 ASM #129, TOS #58 or #59, even a pre code horror book or Golden Age Cap with a Schomburg cover.

I was negotiating with someone the other day and they seemed to think that 48 copies in 9.6 or better on the census was a low number. There are a lot of TRULY great books out there that don't have a total of ten copies available. And just because there aren't big numbers on the census for a lot of copper and modern age books doesn't make them rare. They just haven't justified the cost of submission. When they reach that value, the numbers will (have) sky rocket.

I'm not fighting it...I'm riding it.

Edited by MCMiles

The only point I would dispute above is the diminishing returns on modern speculation. I have been playing the spec game with moderns the since late 2012 and am nice returns that I pour into older keys/hot books. I am not the only one doing this. It is basically 1989 - 1993 all over again - I was in junior high and high school and too distracted by girls and sports to play that spec bubble right, but this time is a different story. lol

It is massively different from 1989-1993.

In 1989, the top selling book (X-Men) was selling around 400,000 copies a month. Each and every month.

In 1991, X-Men #1 sold 8.2 million copies, and continued to sell over 1,000,000 copies a month for the rest of that year.

In 1992, Superman 75 sold 4 million copies in a couple of days, and could have sold twice that.

In 1993, Turok #1 (this is Valiantman's favorite stat) sold 1.75 million copies...and was the SIXTH highest selling book of the year (the other five being Adventures of Supes #500, 501, Supes #78, MOS #22, and Action #687.)

Now, the top selling books struggle every month to break 100K (which was for decades the "cancel this garbage" threshold), and the average amount of copies sold for everything is about 25,000.

I wish it was 1993 all over again...I'd quite literally be a millionaire with my inventory. But it's not, and the market is still pulling the same old stupid speculator tricks that tanked everything the first time, having never learned its lesson.

The one consolation is this: there's not much of a height to fall from this time.

But comic books have become little more than a niche, trendy collectible, hopped up because of massive cross-media exposure, but the artform itself is secondary, if not tertiary, to the making of money.

It would be nice if people didn't go spend their money stupidly, and the market grew as the result of organic supply and demand, but no one will listen, everyone HAS to have that Batman Adventures NOW NOW NOW NOW for $1,000 (even though they could have bought it two years ago for 1/10th that, and probably will again in a few years, and you can buy it for a whopping 30-40% less ALREADY), so if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

Ca-ching, ca-ching, let that cash register ring!

everyone HAS to have that Batman Adventures NOW NOW NOW NOW for $1,000

And these are the same people who spent $50 a day on coins/gems/diamond/gold/etc. for Freemium IOS games, whose OCD force them to pay, pay, pay to get their instant gratification.

And these are the same people who spent $50 a day on coins/gems/diamond/gold/etc. for Freemium IOS games, whose OCD force them to pay, pay, pay to get their instant gratification.

Whales! That's what the gaming industry calls those people. They're rare in the gaming world, but they shell it out.

It is massively different from 1989-1993.

In 1989, the top selling book (X-Men) was selling around 400,000 copies a month. Each and every month.

In 1991, X-Men #1 sold 8.2 million copies, and continued to sell over 1,000,000 copies a month for the rest of that year.

In 1992, Superman 75 sold 4 million copies in a couple of days, and could have sold twice that.

In 1993, Turok #1 (this is Valiantman's favorite stat) sold 1.75 million copies...and was the SIXTH highest selling book of the year (the other five being Adventures of Supes #500, 501, Supes #78, MOS #22, and Action #687.)

Now, the top selling books struggle every month to break 100K (which was for decades the "cancel this garbage" threshold), and the average amount of copies sold for everything is about 25,000.

I wish it was 1993 all over again...I'd quite literally be a millionaire with my inventory. But it's not, and the market is still pulling the same old stupid speculator tricks that tanked everything the first time, having never learned its lesson.

The one consolation is this: there's not much of a height to fall from this time.

But comic books have become little more than a niche, trendy collectible, hopped up because of massive cross-media exposure, but the artform itself is secondary, if not tertiary, to the making of money.

It would be nice if people didn't go spend their money stupidly, and the market grew as the result of organic supply and demand, but no one will listen, everyone HAS to have that Batman Adventures NOW NOW NOW NOW for $1,000 (even though they could have bought it two years ago for 1/10th that, and probably will again in a few years, and you can buy it for a whopping 30-40% less ALREADY), so if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

Ca-ching, ca-ching, let that cash register ring!

What I meant is that it is a speculative back issue bubble for hot issues now is just like in 1989 - 1993. You could probably go back a bit earlier to 1988 for the start of it with the Death of Robin in Batman #428. Buy it on the rack for 95 cents, sell it to friends and stores for $20 immediately. Pre-Unity Valiants, hot Marvel or DC books, chromium covers, etc. were quick flips for multiples just like now. ASM #300 was another one I can remember doing well with early on also - I just wish I had actually kept more than one or two copies. doh!

Sportscards were even better. 1 box of the first set of O-Pee-Chee Premier cost $20 initially (my brother and I bought two), and you would get 2.5 sets in each that were a quick sell at $150 to the local collectors. Any rookie that had a good month would pop and the card that cost $0.10 or less would be a quick $20 flip.

Back then my mistake was spending the profits on going out and buying more of the same to flip instead of investing in SA and BA keys that were dirt cheap. What would a decent AF #15 have been, $1000?

Edited by kimik

Back then my mistake was spending the profits on going out and buying more of the same to flip instead of investing in SA and BA keys that were dirt cheap. What would a decent AF #15 have been, $1000?

That's the speculator's biggest risk. Not cashing out early enough. A balanced approach, putting some of the profits into older established books while still grabbing more low-hanging fruit, would probably be best but, it's too easy to get caught up in the quest for what looks like nice future profits.

I'm sure many would attest to the same experience you had.

Whales! That's what the gaming industry calls those people. They're rare in the gaming world, but they shell it out.

I think it's really sad that the gaming biz has stooped to stealing from the disadvantaged in order to make a buck.

And I don't spend a cent on IOS simply because of all the freemium and paid games going freemium. The first time a game I paid for went freemium, I vowed never to spend another dime on mobile games, and I won't. Being able to arbitrarily change the license like that is a super scam.